VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Retroactively Seeking Service Connection for PTSD

Rate this question

ArmyVet270

Question

Hello Everyone, Hope all is well. 

I am a 90% Service Connected for multiple ailments to include Sleep Disorder/ Anxiety. 

I have been out for about 5 years now and wanted to know whats the best way to go about starting the process to get help for PTSD as a rating. Everyone knows there is a huge stigma attached to this which, is why I essentially tried to wish it away but of course thats not going to happen. 

There have been some people I look up to who have recently sought assistance by breaking the stigma which is giving me the courage to seek help. 

My question is what do I need to do to get this linked into my other ratings or did I wait to long to bother. 

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

You did not wait too long, provided that:

1.  You have, or can get a ptsd diagnosis AND

2.  You have an in service event (stressor)  And

3.  A doctor will or did connect 1 and 2 above.  

"I am a 90% Service Connected for multiple ailments to include Sleep Disorder/ Anxiety. "

Broncovet, since the VA only pays for one MH issue,, and this vet gets compensation  already for an  anxiety disorder ( PTSD is an anxiety disorder) I am interested in what advice you give here on how he should file the claim for PTSD.

Thanks for correcting me Berta.  I realy dont know if this poster's diagnosis is more of a sleep diagnosis or a mental health disorder diagnosis.  

When the OP posted this as "SLEEP Disorder/anxiety" it really sounded like OSA to me.  

Vets get SC for OSA and mental health disorders sometimes.  But if its sleep disorder ANXIETY, a mental health disorder,

pyramiding prevents compensating with 2 mental health disorders.  They are all rated on the same schedule.  

As Berta correctly pointed out this may well be "anxiety" a mental health disorder instead of a sleep disorder as I thought.  

Obviously, I stand corrected if "Sleep disorder/anxiety" is a mental health disorder not a sleep disorder.  

Now that she mentions it, Im not sure if there is pyramiding with mental health disorders and sleep disorders or not.  OSA is not necessarily related to mental health, but it could be. 

Central Sleep Apnea is a sleep disorder related to the nervous system.

OSA is a sleep disorder related to an obstruction in the throat.  

8 hours ago, broncovet said:

Thanks for correcting me Berta.  I realy dont know if this poster's diagnosis is more of a sleep diagnosis or a mental health disorder diagnosis.  

When the OP posted this as "SLEEP Disorder/anxiety" it really sounded like OSA to me.  

Vets get SC for OSA and mental health disorders sometimes.  But if its sleep disorder ANXIETY, a mental health disorder,

pyramiding prevents compensating with 2 mental health disorders.  They are all rated on the same schedule.  

As Berta correctly pointed out this may well be "anxiety" a mental health disorder instead of a sleep disorder as I thought.  

Obviously, I stand corrected if "Sleep disorder/anxiety" is a mental health disorder not a sleep disorder.  

Now that she mentions it, Im not sure if there is pyramiding with mental health disorders and sleep disorders or not.  OSA is not necessarily related to mental health, but it could be. 

Central Sleep Apnea is a sleep disorder related to the nervous system.

OSA is a sleep disorder related to an obstruction in the throat.  

The sleep disorder that is combined with anxiety should have said Insomnia/Anxiety. The VA rates Insomnia as a mental health disorder. Therefore, the sleep disorder is combined with Anxiety.

https://www.hillandponton.com/va-disability-benefits-insomnia/

14 hours ago, ArmyVet270 said:

Hello Everyone, Hope all is well. 

I am a 90% Service Connected for multiple ailments to include Sleep Disorder/ Anxiety. 

I have been out for about 5 years now and wanted to know whats the best way to go about starting the process to get help for PTSD as a rating. Everyone knows there is a huge stigma attached to this which, is why I essentially tried to wish it away but of course thats not going to happen. 

There have been some people I look up to who have recently sought assistance by breaking the stigma which is giving me the courage to seek help. 

My question is what do I need to do to get this linked into my other ratings or did I wait to long to bother. 

Glad you are seeking help for PTSD. Are you currently diagnosed with PTSD? If not, at least you're getting the paper trail or medical evidence by seeking help. If you are diagnosed with PTSD this is how it is granted.

#1. Current Diagnosis

#2. In-service event/stressor

#3. Nexus of opinion stating 

https://www.hillandponton.com/3-steps-to-presenting-a-strong-va-ptsd-claim/

Let's say you do get PTSD granted. It will be combined with the service-connected to Sleep Disorder/Anxiety. The PTSD being combined has to be considered for a possible increase in rating. If there is no change in your rating once combined, there are still secondary conditions to your mh disorders that get rated seperately; providing you an increase.

For example: Obstructive Sleep Apnea secondary to Mental Health disorders is prevalent among the veteran community. It's been well-known for awhile, but the VA denies, denies, denies. 

We need more information and what the ratings are for the 90% SCs.