VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Make diagnosis exactly precise or vague and left to interpretation?

Rate this question

glashutte

Question

When submitting an initial claim, is it best to:

1. Make the disability diagnosis as specific as possible? For example, Right shin splints. 

2. Make the disability diagnosis as vague as possible? For example, Right leg pain. 

I have heard both. I know a guy who received 100% and he advised to make it as vague as possible. 

My connected question to this is, which do we do if we have been diagnosed with the disability in service and it was documented during doctor appointments?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• Lead Moderator
5 minutes ago, glashutte said:

When submitting an initial claim, is it best to:

1. Make the disability diagnosis as specific as possible? For example, Right shin splints. 

2. Make the disability diagnosis as vague as possible? For example, Right leg pain. 

I have heard both. I know a guy who received 100% and he advised to make it as vague as possible. 

My connected question to this is, which do we do if we have been diagnosed with the disability in service and it was documented during doctor appointments?

Do you already have a diagnosis?  

If you know what it is then yes apply for that but if there is another issue or you think there is another be more vague. 

To get service connected you need to have been seen for it in service. At least that body part. Or link it secondary to another condition. Or if it falls under a presumptive condition. 

The VA will only accept a DOCTOR"S diagnosis, not yours.  

Doctors vary on their opinions and diagnosis.  One doc, for example, may diagnose a Vet with PTSD, while another calls it bipolar disorder.  

You dont need a medical degree to get benefits.  You dont need to understand the differences between PTSD and Bipolar.  You are unqualified to diagnose and treat your own ailments, unless you are also a physician.  

I dont recommend you be too specific, as it can waste a lot of your time.  

Example:  If you apply for "bipolar disorder" and a doc says you have PTSD, instead, you could be denied, have to appeal and wind up on a hamster wheel.  Instead, dont try to be a doctor.  Apply for "any mental health disorder that a doctor may diagnose".  

The CAVC has said the Veteran can make a specific application "by pointing to the body part that hurts".  He need not know if this is osteo arthritis, torn ligaments, bursitis, rhematoid arthritis, etc.etc.  He just points to his knee and says he wants to apply for benefits due to the pain and loss of motion in his knee(s).    Its not the Vets job to be able to distinguish these or other disorders..a doc does that.  

Too many Vets are denied for diagnosis a" of the knee, because a doc said its "diagnosis b" that the Veteran does not have diagnosis a.  

You can sabatoge your own claim by being too specific, when it requires a doctors diagnosis anyway.