VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertension: How far back in Order to Claim?

Rate this question

VietNamVet1969

Question

My hypertension started perhaps 10 years ago? I finished my term in VietNam in 1969.

But so far, all I have found is 2018 with BP readings at and around 165/100/74 and the like. I see that the Diastolic is only in the 10% disability range, and with meds I am moving well below toward 144/103/86 down to 114/80/88 range.

So with BP meds I am improving. So can I go back to before meds, if I can find the records on my cd, in order to Service Connect?

And by the way, I have records show only from Basic training then nothing for Viet Nam, then again starting in 2010-ish? Still reading a huge volume on the cd

2 hours ago, broncovet said:

If you are looking for an effective date that far back, you are not going to get an effective date earlier than the date you apply. 

Now, if you are discussing what is your BP ON meds vs your BP without medications, this is a different animal.  

Here is how the rating schedule says it:

zI 

7101 Hypertensive vascular disease (hypertension and isolated systolic hypertension):  
Diastolic pressure predominantly 130 or more 60
Diastolic pressure predominantly 120 or more 40
Diastolic pressure predominantly 110 or more, or; systolic pressure predominantly 200 or more 20
Diastolic pressure predominantly 100 or more, or; systolic pressure predominantly 160 or more, or; minimum evaluation for an individual with a history of diastolic pressure predominantly 100 or more who requires continuous medication for control 10
Note (1): Hypertension or isolated systolic hypertension must be confirmed by readings taken two or more times on at least three different days. For purposes of this section, the term hypertension means that the diastolic blood pressure is predominantly 90mm. or greater, and isolated systolic hypertension means that the systolic blood pressure is predominantly 160mm. or greater with a diastolic blood pressure of less than 90mm.

This does not say with or without meds, and, Im not sure about how the CAVC views this.  

With other stuff, the VA does not penalize you for taking meds.  Example:

If you had a knee problem where your pain level was 8 without meds, but 3 with meds, then I think your pain level is an 8.  I mean, gee whiz..the doc can give you pain medicine enough that you wont even notice if he cuts your leg off..this does not mean its no longer hurting.  You can not stay on anesthesia forever!

In the case of blood pressure, the meds lower your bp at a price:  BP meds almost always have a side effect.  

To maximize your ratings, dont take your bp meds a day or 2 before your c and p exam, that is, if you can do so without danger to your health a few days.  Others may chime in if this is a good idea or not.  

When the doc decides to give you bp meds, he measures your bp unmedicated.  Of course, he can tweak the meds depending upon how well it works for bringing your bp down and the side effects.  

Thanks guys, that helps a lot.

I can easily not take the meds a couple days before a BP test, as I regularly forget to take them at least once a week anyway, and on any given day now with meds I am wihin the past 3 weeks between 108 SYS to 147 SYS.

I don't have a C&P exam coming up, but am more looking at which form to use to open that claim at myhealth.va, still haven't tried that but I hope its easy and intuitive.

1 hour ago, GBArmy said:

VietNamVet1969 I'm not sure,  but it looks like you have tagged onto a posting from last year. Maybe you should start a new topic so we (or at least, I) don't get confused. 

Yes GBArmy, I was the original OP for the old post, and I have chosen to remain within that confine simply because it has a lot of info I can readily re-read as hopefully this one continues. I'd like to remain if you care to stick with it, I'd be most appreciative., thanks

If you are looking for an effective date that far back, you are not going to get an effective date earlier than the date you apply. 

Now, if you are discussing what is your BP ON meds vs your BP without medications, this is a different animal.  

Here is how the rating schedule says it:

zI 

7101 Hypertensive vascular disease (hypertension and isolated systolic hypertension):  
Diastolic pressure predominantly 130 or more 60
Diastolic pressure predominantly 120 or more 40
Diastolic pressure predominantly 110 or more, or; systolic pressure predominantly 200 or more 20
Diastolic pressure predominantly 100 or more, or; systolic pressure predominantly 160 or more, or; minimum evaluation for an individual with a history of diastolic pressure predominantly 100 or more who requires continuous medication for control 10
Note (1): Hypertension or isolated systolic hypertension must be confirmed by readings taken two or more times on at least three different days. For purposes of this section, the term hypertension means that the diastolic blood pressure is predominantly 90mm. or greater, and isolated systolic hypertension means that the systolic blood pressure is predominantly 160mm. or greater with a diastolic blood pressure of less than 90mm.

This does not say with or without meds, and, Im not sure about how the CAVC views this.  

With other stuff, the VA does not penalize you for taking meds.  Example:

If you had a knee problem where your pain level was 8 without meds, but 3 with meds, then I think your pain level is an 8.  I mean, gee whiz..the doc can give you pain medicine enough that you wont even notice if he cuts your leg off..this does not mean its no longer hurting.  You can not stay on anesthesia forever!

In the case of blood pressure, the meds lower your bp at a price:  BP meds almost always have a side effect.  

To maximize your ratings, dont take your bp meds a day or 2 before your c and p exam, that is, if you can do so without danger to your health a few days.  Others may chime in if this is a good idea or not.  

When the doc decides to give you bp meds, he measures your bp unmedicated.  Of course, he can tweak the meds depending upon how well it works for bringing your bp down and the side effects.  

Edited by broncovet
add more.

12 minutes ago, broncovet said:

To maximize your ratings, dont take your bp meds a day or 2 before your c and p exam, that is, if you can do so without danger to your health a few days.

I agree with bronco, the key is if your health can take it. Keep in mind we do not know what other health conditions you have, only you can make this choice.

• HadIt.com Elder

As we all say we are not telling you it is or isn't a good idea not to take your meds prior to seeing the doc. The system usually is they take a reading, wait a bit then take it again. The VA does this on 3 different days, so you can space them out if you want. Under your meds, your readings are 114/80, and that won't get you much; maybe a 0% rating if you can show substantial readings taken before that were at least 90%or better on the diastolic. But if I was doing it I would keep a log and take meds on the first day then skip the next. Do this for several cycles. recording the results.Then take meds on the first day and skip 2 days and then go back on. If it really spikes after just missing one dose, then thats it.I can't believe going more than 3 days would get it any higher; it is probably different for everybody. What ever the results would probable be what you get when you go for real. If the results aren't there, well then you know what you should expect. But again, big risk in trying to figure this out.

I recently received a 0% SC for HBP 10 years after discharge on a new initial claim due to pre-hypertension readings in service and several 160+ sys and a few 100 diastolic ones post-service.  I thought I would get 10% but I think the ratings go based off of an average as the last reading on my DBQ was 127/80 due to amlodipine which would drastically drop the rateable reading.

Edited by Mrpdbo