VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claims

Rate this question

Raychamp

Question

Per CFR 4.97 there are a lot of ratings for the respiratory system.  Can I get a rating for MORE than one rating say COPD,, EMPHYSEMA & SLEEP APNEA?

1 answer to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

The pyramiding rule applies here. The VA would evaluate you for each disability, but would grant you single highest the percentage of them.

It is very helpful to read the rating criteria for each disability because one might worsen and you might be able to request an increased rating, which could in turn increase your rating. If the disability, or the medication the VA prescribes to treat it, causes a secondary disability, you could also file a claim for that. For example, I have chronic asthma and took inhaled steroids since I was in the service. Last year I was diagnosed with Cushing's and filed a claim for secondary service connection.

One important thing is to read the entire section of the rating criteria, not just the specific disability. Some diagnostic codes (DC's) might be considered under pyramiding while others might not.