VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Diabetes type 1 then rediagnosed to type 2

Rate this question

uniccco

Question

ladies and gentlemen I am seeking disability for type 2 diabetes for 20 years I was being treated for type 1 by the Va and on jan 6 2016 I was told I should be classified type 2 by the VA, my question is as a secondary condition to chronic pain depressive dos order and left and right knee flexion which is all service connected  is it possible to connect or will it be denied    

These are not common conditions that would cause Diabetes Mellitus-and I have found nothing yet at BVA or on the net to show your conditions could have caused the DMII- however , one of the most prevalent reasons for diabetes mellitus is obesity. ( next to AO as a cause)

Unless you are a Vietnam incountry vet or Blue water Navy vet ,fitting into the 12 mile territorial sea criteria in HR 299, the only way I foresee this, is as Shrekthetank1 said, you need a solid IME/IMO.

If obesity was caused by inactivity,due to your SC leg condition, or due to side affects of any kind due to the SC chronic pain, and depression, and/or  medications for those disabilities, and if a doctor can state that the obesity is from lack of exercise, or any other factor, in your medical records, than it might be possible to service connect the DMII as secondary.

I saw a stunning  decision at the BVA once, whereby a widow proved her husband's severe SC hearing loss had made him so sedentary that he developed NSC heart disease and died from it.

She had a strong IMO and the BVA awarded her DIC.

I am not saying your are obese, at all, and we don't have much info here. But a strong IME from an Endocrinologist might help the claim.

These IME/IMOS can be quite costly but this is the best thorough reading of our medical records we will probably ever get. There might be a different reason for the development of DMII, and a doctor would be able to see that.

• Lead Moderator

So to show a secondary condition you need to show how you Diabetes has affected your other service connected disabilities.  It only has to affect one, but you do need a Nexus or IMO to show the link.  Also medical articles and medical journals all work to support your claim.  

Have you checked your medical records to see if you have a direct service connection?  Is this something that can be see by a blood test?  If so it is very likely the key to this could be right in your medical records.  

Ms. Berta I failed to put weight gain and the obesity caused by my service connected disabilities in my post but its in my claim and I have literature and a IMO along with good rationale to try to connect diabetes 2  

That's great-I hope the IMO follows the IMO criteria here at hadit.

The doctor must have experience in the disability claimed and also make a solid medical rationale, and they would probably have some good medical abstracts to use as well.

Hill and Ponton, lawyers for veterans ,make an excellent point here on obesity:

https://www.hillandponton.com/can-you-service-connect-obesity/

Matt Hill is a hadit member. They have other articles on this at their site under a search for obesity.

Edited by Berta
added more