VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I am tired of crap put in my VA Medical records

Rate this topic

I am really tired of the crap that the VA employees put into my medical records.  Last week I had to see a doctor to get a new  power chair, (my old one is about 5 years old and worn out). Any way, the doctor wrote crap in the medical record like:  I recommended gentle ROM and stretching / for the neck/shoulders/arms and legs in a sitting or laying position we we reviewed; precaution: fall   He never said anything like this.

he also wrote: we discussed modalities suss as ice/heat/TENS and prosthetic.. he never said this to me either...

These are minor examples he wrote other stuff  that wasn't true either but I am just trying to make a point here.

Last year a male registered nurse ( a quit Army Medic actually) wrote in my medical records that I had scared him when I question the stupidity of asking each visit,  do I feel safe at home, or when was the last time you fell, or do you have depression, or what is your oxygen setting on... I told this a-hole to read my medical records  that he would find the answers there... so he wrote that he stopped the triage because I scared him and he felt threatened... This made me so angry that I wrote a letter requesting his entry be removed, and that this RN never be involved in my medical care again... it took 6 months but it was removed with an apology....  really how the hell is a 65 year old man on oxygen sitting in a power chair a threat to a 30 something male nurse? 

There has to be a way to get the va to stop writing crap in our records.  Many times they do not even ask the questions about falls, or are you safe at home.. and later they have answered the questions and put this trash in the record, and  many more times valid medical information never makes it to the record...... 

Sometimes the information they put in the record can hurt  the status of a claim : for instance,  I have a drop foot that requires the use of an afo that was caused by nerve damage from my back injury, so the darn doctor writes ROM in lower limbs, WFL (within functional limits ) ,  he ignores the fact I am wearing an AFO,  and that my knees are so bad that I get steroid shots every 4 months, because of arthritic pain and torn meniscus ... what an idiot....

anyway it really sucks that they write a lot of garbage, sometime a visit has resulted in 7 pages... they actually copy order entries, and then add stuff but  there at times have been 4 pages of garbage ( that really has nothing to do with the actual treatment sought)  out of 7 pages. 

These are the words written above the GATES OF HELL in Dante's Inferno :  " Abandon hope all ye who enter here ".

VA medical providers WILL falsify medical evidence to demonstrate improvement in service connected disabilities.

Remember, the VA CAN reduce benefits if they have medical evidence showing improvement unless one has attained the twenty year threshold of protection.

Richard posted:

Last week I had to see a doctor to get a new  power chair, (my old one is about 5 years old and worn out). Any way, the doctor wrote crap in the medical record like:  I recommended gentle ROM and stretching / for the neck/shoulders/arms and legs in a sitting or laying position we we reviewed; precaution: fall   He never said anything like this.

he also wrote: we discussed modalities suss as ice/heat/TENS and prosthetic.. he never said this to me either...

Wow!!!!

I tried to get VA to give me a power chair.  I had severe knee issues (that eventaully led to TKR) and read that "elevating" the knee would help with the painful swelling.  A zero gravity power chair would elevate my knee above my heart and (probably) releive the swelling.  

No power chair for me!  Not an old one or new one, even tho I fractured that leg in the service!!!

If my doc had gone to bat for me and wrote something in my records to "justify" the NEW power chair, I would be very greatful and certainly not complain.  

Also, my doc does not "explain to me" everything he writes in my chart.  Im lucky if I get 5 to 10 minutes with the doc..and I spend all of it discussing my conditions and possible treatments, and I can read his reports later if I so choose.  There is no discussion of what he will put in my chart or not put in there.  And, yes, Im suprised by some stuff in there.  

I have gotten great service from my VA Audiology department.  I asked the audiologist for a letter that a close caption phone would help, and she promptly provided one.  They also gave me a flashing light door bell as I dont always hear the door bell.  Im very greatful.  

Sometimes we need to be gratefull for what they do for us more than complaining when they dont.  Its about our attitude, and, it would appear  the VA does not "owe" us a NEW power chair, tho Im sure you disagree there.  If I want a power chair, I can go to a place that sells power chairs, plop down the money and they will be glad to bring it by my house.  

Yes, I wanted a power chair.  Yes, I thought I deserved it or would not have asked my doc.  (I actually asked his nurse...and that was likely my mistake.  I let her "screen out" my request.  That was dumb on my part..I knew that nurse and she wouldnt give me a sip of water if I was dying of thirst)  

Im hugely Pro Veteran.  Hugely.  But I also think we should be appreciative of our benefits, and especially to those who provide those services to us.  This employee did not have to work for VA..they could likely make more money elsewhere, and they have an extremely busy schedule dealing with thousands of Vets needs.  

I think you should be thankful for that doc who provided a rationale so you could get your power chair in your medical records.  My (nurse) would not do that.  

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

Its rather hard to get anything from the VA.

What  veterans need is have  a special time with your PCP Dr  or specialty clinic Dr.

if you need something to help you around the house..like a  Motorized wheel chair , when you ask the Dr   be sincere about it get emotional if feel like it  just simple say Dr can I rely on you to help me get a motorized wheel chair   that would sure help me and my pain and help me tremendously around the house,and very mush so at the grocery store &Church & when I get up to use the rest room I almost fall hanging on to the walls  because the pain is so severe (get emotional about it)  I just can't afford one Dr  its all we can do to make ends meet and pay the bills, you got to let them see your serious  and say ''Please Dr can I count on you in referring me a wheel chair  that would be Awesome Dr.

Thank you very much   your awesome Dr Jones

This will work better than anything I Know of  the kicker here is get emotional with them let them see your begging them for things that would help you around your home.

Some Dr just have no concern about our health ,there there just for a paycheck  but most Dr do care.

14 hours ago, broncovet said:

Sometimes we need to be gratefull for what they do for us more than complaining when they dont.  Its about our attitude, and, it would appear  the VA does not "owe" us a NEW power chair, tho Im sure you disagree there.  If I want a power chair, I can go to a place that sells power chairs, plop down the money and they will be glad to bring it by my house.

I think you jumped to a conclusion about a power chair and that was not even what the complaint was about... I got the new chair... I always do... but your remark was callous....... and 

Its not about being ungrateful when they write stuff they never said to the veteran. Today I actually got a call from VA rehabilitation because of what he wrote in my record. At 65 years old no amount of rehab is going to do me any good..... it fact it just might make things worse.... I get steroid shots in my knees, and I have been offered them for my back and neck.... because the  va will not do surgery due to my Lung disease,  and pain pills do not help...

First I injured my back in 1974 when I was thrown from a moving jeep,  it came with a TBI, and neck injury  and a drop foot. Iwear a brace just to hold my foot up... ..as well. I also have two service connected knee conditions, and I have COPD.. You can bet your butt the VA owes me a new Power chair  when I need one !.. I have used a  power chair since 2001... and I have to go thru the same stupid  review to get a new chair each time, even when they break down and won't fix the old one.  I recommend you read  https://www.prosthetics.va.gov/Docs/Motorized_Wheeled_Mobility_Devices.pdf  then the next time you talk about what is owed to the veteran you might know a little more than you do now.  But you already know that anyone rated over 50% is entitled to all va care free of charge......... to include any medically necessary prosthetic items...

I am 100% for my lungs alone the va will give me oxygen tanks because I need them, they will however not give me a portable concentrator, that never runs out of oxygen, last for years, and cost less money in the long run... I chose to purchase my own oxygen concentrator for the convince of it... I however have no reason to run out and buy a power chair when I meet the medically necessary rules... 

Its very likely you did not qualify for a wheelchair  under va rules..

I was really surprise by your comment " the va does not owe us a new power chair".....   ACTUALLY THEY DO 

Don't get me wrong.. I am grateful that  I am able to get care at the va... but they do not do it out of the kindness of their heart... and when they do something wrong they need to be told they are wrong 

Edited by Richard1954

11 hours ago, Buck52 said:

Its rather hard to get anything from the VA.

What  veterans need is have  a special time with your PCP Dr  or specialty clinic Dr.

if you need something to help you around the house..like a  Motorized wheel chair , when you ask the Dr   be sincere about it get emotional if feel like it  just simple say Dr can I rely on you to help me get a motorized wheel chair   that would sure help me and my pain and help me tremendously around the house,and very mush so at the grocery store &Church & when I get up to use the rest room I almost fall hanging on to the walls  because the pain is so severe (get emotional about it)  I just can't afford one Dr  its all we can do to make ends meet and pay the bills, you got to let them see your serious  and say ''Please Dr can I count on you in referring me a wheel chair  that would be Awesome Dr.

Thank you very much   your awesome Dr Jones

This will work better than anything I Know of  the kicker here is get emotional with them let them see your begging them for things that would help you around your home.

Some Dr just have no concern about our health ,there there just for a paycheck  but most Dr do care.

Ok... lets back up a minute.....No veteran should have to ask and kiss butt to get Items that are medically necessary.... To be sure my Prmary care doctor did refer me to PM&R to get the exam for the power chair, and the doctor that did the exam... did recommend approval for the chair.... My initial comments were not about not getting a chair,  there were about extraneous BS being put into the medical records that have no bearing on the care we receive.  Broncovet just assumed it was about not getting a wheel chair as it appears you have also.... I got the darn chair they always approve it...