VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea Secondary to PTSD

Rate this question

Jonathan AF

Question

I recently did a home study from the VA, and my results are as follows (see attached):

Min SpO2: 78.0%

Total RDI: 50.2

Findings: Snoring & Obstructive apneas/hypoapneas

Impression: OSA (G47.33) ("severe" is handwritten next to this).

They set me up with a CPAP machine to wear each night.

I am currently 30% rated for PTSD.  Based on this, can anyone tell what my rating would be filing sleep apnea as secondary to PTSD?

Edited by Jonathan AF
add attachment

• Answers 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Update, my PCP messaged and said what I need is an Independent Medical Opinion from another physician.  I found one online at the following link:

https://www.vawatchdog.org/imo-ime-medical-opinions-exams.html

I emailed him and explained my situation, including medications I take for PTSD.  I am not sure if he will help, or will even respond, but I feel like documenting everything I'm doing here may help someone else in the future.

I am waiting for my appeal decision to come back now. My Primary Dr. and Psychiatrist  had both written NEXUS letters, I had a home sleep study done that showed mild sleep apnea, and my Dr had prescribed me a CPAP. In my denial letter they said a CPAP was not a prescription for OSA.

My appeal process sent me to a VA Dr and he really only talked to me for 5 minutes or so with no questions really for me.. Then they sent me to a VA sleep study. There I was diagnosed with Moderate Sleep apnea and while I have received nothing in the mail, according to my VA rep, she said the VA Dr said it is 50% more likely than not, secondary to the PTSD.

My Ebenefits page said the decision should be ready in April, then in May, now by the end of June.

Not sure what will be the outcome, but if I get a positive decision,  (which I am assuming I will get after the VA Dr stated greater than 50% more likely then not) I will post more about the letters I sent I. My Phys Dr sent in a letter to show his reasoning they are connected showing several studies.

Good Luck and I will be back!

Edited by Stick Slinger
grammer

Stick Slinger - Since your C&P Exam was with a VA Doctor, you should be able to see the Doctor's report (DBQ) in MyHealtheVet. I have had C&P Exams that lasted only 5 - 10 minutes (with no real questions asked about my issues) and won the claim. I have also been awarded an increase with a NEXUS letter from a Private Doctor and no C&P. 

Best of luck!

On 6/26/2019 at 8:50 PM, Patton said:

Stick Slinger - Since your C&P Exam was with a VA Doctor, you should be able to see the Doctor's report (DBQ) in MyHealtheVet. I have had C&P Exams that lasted only 5 - 10 minutes (with no real questions asked about my issues) and won the claim. I have also been awarded an increase with a NEXUS letter from a Private Doctor and no C&P. 

Best of luck!

Have you heard of http://www.veteranspsychevaluations.com/

I've been in touch with them and the Dr. said he will write me a good IMO, but they want $2,300 for it.  Do you think that's a scam?  They seem legit, but that's really steep for me.