VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea Secondary to PTSD

Rate this question

Jonathan AF

Question

I recently did a home study from the VA, and my results are as follows (see attached):

Min SpO2: 78.0%

Total RDI: 50.2

Findings: Snoring & Obstructive apneas/hypoapneas

Impression: OSA (G47.33) ("severe" is handwritten next to this).

They set me up with a CPAP machine to wear each night.

I am currently 30% rated for PTSD.  Based on this, can anyone tell what my rating would be filing sleep apnea as secondary to PTSD?

Edited by Jonathan AF
add attachment

• Answers 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I paid $1000 to have a GERD and Plantar Fasciitis done. I was awarded 30% for GERD without a C & P Exam. The Plantar Fasciitis is still pending. Both of the conditions should have been straight forward for the VA, but it was not, so I had to pay somebody to show the VA that I had the condition in service (not before) and the VA is still treating me for it.

PTSD can be a lot harder to prove, so that may not be so far out of line. Hopefully somebody can give you advice on that. I did check out his website and nothing stands out as being a scam. I had a DAV VSO assist me with my MH Claim and I was awarded 30% (which I am happy with). I went thru 3 VSO's before finding one that guided me in the right direction. I am very thankful that I finally found a VSO that had my best interest in mind. 

On 6/24/2019 at 12:10 PM, Jonathan AF said:

Update, my PCP messaged and said what I need is an Independent Medical Opinion from another physician

Your PCP is not telling you the truth .. he MUST write a statement if you asked him.

VHA Directive 2000-029 VA doctor statements.pdf VHA Directive 1134.1 Provision of Medical statements and forms by va doctors.pdf

26 minutes ago, Richard1954 said:

Wow.  Thank you!  That is valuable information.  I sent my primary care team the documents and asked for a statement.  I'll update you when they respond.

1 hour ago, Richard1954 said:

That is great information Richard, but I have had VA Doctors tell me right out no. One even told me that I should be 100% disabled due to Military Service. To be fair, my old MH Doctor (who has now opened his own Practice and no longer work for the VA) has been the only one to write a NEXUS Letter for me.  

Ok, so my PCP said he will not write a letter supporting that because "there is no link between PTSD an Sleep Apnea".  I have an appointment on 7/29/2019 with the Dr. who wrote the sleep study results (the OSA diagnosis) =....I am going to bring a DBQ with me for him to fill out, and hopefully get an IMO letter also.  Oh, here are my results (attch)

VA_Sleep_Study.pdf

That doesn't surprise me, did he tell you that it is because of your BMI? 

I would take a copy of your SMR with you. Pull out everything to do with PTSD, Sleep Disorders, Respiratory issues, GERD (Acid Reflux) and Medication. Put them in order so that the Doctor doesn't have to search thru your whole file. Ask the Doctor if he could review them (along with your VA records) and if any of these conditions would cause your OSA. If he come back with your BMI, then ask if any of your Medications / Conditions ( I.E. PTSD / Depression / Sleep Disorders all can cause weigh gain) could be the reason for your weigh gain. 

I have attached information from @dajoker12 and @doc25 below. This information is outstanding medical documentation on the subject. Knowledge is key to winning your claim. 

Association of Psychiatric Disorders and Sleep Apnea in a Large Cohort.pdf PTSD deprssion binge eating.pdf Secondary Sleep Apnea Article.pdf Sleep apnea psychopathology and mental healthcare.pdf Sleep Disordered Breathing in Patients with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.pdf Sleep Disorders and Associated Medical Comorbidities in Active Duty Military Personnel.pdf SLeep Disorders in Combat Related PTSD.pdf Sleep Disorders in US Military Personnel A High Rate of Comorbid Insomnia and Obstructive Sleep Apnea.pdf