VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea Secondary to PTSD

Rate this question

Jonathan AF

Question

I recently did a home study from the VA, and my results are as follows (see attached):

Min SpO2: 78.0%

Total RDI: 50.2

Findings: Snoring & Obstructive apneas/hypoapneas

Impression: OSA (G47.33) ("severe" is handwritten next to this).

They set me up with a CPAP machine to wear each night.

I am currently 30% rated for PTSD.  Based on this, can anyone tell what my rating would be filing sleep apnea as secondary to PTSD?

Edited by Jonathan AF
add attachment

• Answers 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

On 8/15/2019 at 8:39 AM, Buck52 said:

This Nexus looks great!  you should be approved for S.A. 

At the least 50%

That's what I'm shooting for is 50%.  70% would be nice but I don't think I fit that criteria.  I will of course keep this post updated.  I am supposed to get my actual nexus letter today.  I hope he uses the "at least as likely as not"/"more likely than not" lingo.  I told him that's what it needed to have, along with a rationale.  

I sent my denial letter to the attorney and am waiting to hear back from them, as well.  I'm using Kenneth Carpenter, as I have read good stuff about him on here.  His office charges 30% of your retroactive if they win....nothing otherwise, so really nothing to lose.

https://www.vetadvocates.org/users/kenneth-carpenter

• HadIt.com Elder

Jonathan AF You're doing the right stuff. If the wording isn't quit right, go back and have the doc correct it; it's important. As for Ken Carpenter, he does have a very high rating from a lot of us. If he takes you case, be assured that in his opinion, you have a very good chance of winning. The fact that he doesn't charge anything if he loses, is however, is pretty common. If you lose your claim there is nothing for the lawyer to get a percentage of. That said, he is good. Good luck.

I had my Doctors appointment today and he said that he will write a IMO. He still want to read more of my records, but he said that the Meds the VA has me on, more than likely caused my weight gain which in turn caused my Sleep Apnea. We also talked about GERD and Insomnia. He is also going to do another sleep study, to see if he can help me with some of my sleep issues. Hopefully he will have the IMO done in 2 weeks, when I see him for the sleep study.

2 hours ago, Patton said:

I had my Doctors appointment today and he said that he will write a IMO. He still want to read more of my records, but he said that the Meds the VA has me on, more than likely caused my weight gain which in turn caused my Sleep Apnea. We also talked about GERD and Insomnia. He is also going to do another sleep study, to see if he can help me with some of my sleep issues. Hopefully he will have the IMO done in 2 weeks, when I see him for the sleep study.

Awesome!  Looking forward to the outcome.

Just heard from attorney's office:

"Jonathan:  I had my meeting with Mr. Carpenter earlier this morning,  he reviewed your information and determined he is willing to represent you.  I then checked my e-mail and received your Rating Decision.  We are sending you forms to complete, including the fee contract, this will probably be mailed out to you sometime next week.  Are you agreeable to proceeding with us? If so, we will also wait for you to e-mail  the doctor's opinion letter.

Cordially,

Catherine"

• HadIt.com Elder
5 hours ago, Jonathan AF said:

That's what I'm shooting for is 50%.  70% would be nice but I don't think I fit that criteria.  I will of course keep this post updated.  I am supposed to get my actual nexus letter today.  I hope he uses the "at least as likely as not"/"more likely than not" lingo.  I told him that's what it needed to have, along with a rationale.  

I sent my denial letter to the attorney and am waiting to hear back from them, as well.  I'm using Kenneth Carpenter, as I have read good stuff about him on here.  His office charges 30% of your retroactive if they win....nothing otherwise, so really nothing to lose.

https://www.vetadvocates.org/users/kenneth-carpenter

He should, Most Dr's That are Veteran Friendly  knows to use that type of lingo.

Ken Carpenter is good attorney, if they charge you 30%  that's a little pricey  ,but if you agree then that's between the  you the Veteran and the Attorney ,.... HOWEVER YOU MAY HAVE A DIFFICULT CLAIM? SO WELL WORTH IT.

Normal price is 20%...but like everything else  prices are on the rise  no matter what it is.

I bet you have this 

Good Luck!!!

Edited by Buck52