VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Strange backpay amount for TDIU

Rate this question

Mrn16

Question

Hello,

We found out yesterday on ebenefits that my husband was awarded an increase from 80% to 90% with TDIU. Today we had a deposit from VA for $3,004 but are unsure why that amount. The date of TDIU was with the claim opening ing at March 7, 2019 so I assume that is the back pay date. It doesn't make sense the amount they sent for the difference of TDIU for vet+spouse+2kids. It doesnt even make sense for the difference with just 80 to 90% pay either.

Any ideas?

Congratulations on the TDIU. You will probably receive more deposits in the future. I have had the happen to me when I have been given increase.

Yeah, they will do strange amounts but, it should even it out.

wait for the decision letter also.

If the claim was open on Mar 7 th then the pay effective date will be April 1st.

also is he retired? Have to ask.

Edited by Bwaveteran

I had a three deposits last year and assumed they are changing the ways, from the old of group everything into a spaghetti monster and throw it at you, to throw the noodles, sauce, meatballs/cheese/etc at you separately.  

That amount is due to retro and the new amount would be at the new month.

19 hours ago, paulstrgn said:

Congratulations on the TDIU. You will probably receive more deposits in the future. I have had the happen to me when I have been given increase.

Thanks! We were relieved. Ok we had an increase before and it was a lump sum 2 years ago or so. 

19 hours ago, Bwaveteran said:

Yeah, they will do strange amounts but, it should even it out.

wait for the decision letter also.

If the claim was open on Mar 7 th then the pay effective date will be April 1st.

also is he retired? Have to ask.

He is medically retired, yes- about 7 years in. I saw on ebenefits it just said Retro pay but nothing else. It does say effective date of the last change to your current award was April 1, 2019, but then it says considered TDIU on March 7, 2019 which is date claim was filed. Even the retro difference from April 1 to that date wasn't equally the 3k. Why even mention the April 1 date? It is confusing lol. So the retro will be calculated from March 7?

19 hours ago, Oceanbound said:

I had a three deposits last year and assumed they are changing the ways, from the old of group everything into a spaghetti monster and throw it at you, to throw the noodles, sauce, meatballs/cheese/etc at you separately.  

LOL I like the way you broke that down. So this would only be about half ish of retro right? and new 100% rate at 7/1?

Also, does this open the door to DFAS paying military retirement pay on top of the VA pay? The whole 20 year in rule has be confused.

Pretty much we had a different bank account and address for DFAS and never updated it. It still has about an $813/month award on there and mentions the VA disability pay and even SBP on a document of changes dated Dec 1, 2018. We called them today thinking maybe we had back pay from them because we never updated our info and they said no because he wasn't in for 20 years. It has to be at least 20 years. (he was med-boarded at about 7 years in with 50% initially, then increased to 80% then now 90% with TDIU). I'm confused as to why even have the info in there in the first place if we are not to be receiving it?

19 hours ago, Oceanbound said:

Also, was your deposit a fairly large lump sum and that is why it was split into 3's? This should only be about 5.5-6k ish. We had about 12k back in 2016 in a lump sum