VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Questions with filing for PTSD

Rate this question

tw4904

Question

So I pretty much have my statements together. I feel pretty confident especially since I do have a CAB. However, I am already diagnosed with Chronic PTSD by my psychiatrist who works for the VA. I am also being treated by him with medication. And it helps me out alot. Will the doctor who I see during the examination judge me off of how he see's me in my current condition and say I am fine even though I am medication to help with PTSD? I typed up a very lengthy paragraph in the remarks section of the 21-0781 and stated two incidents like directed. Surely they wouldnt judge on my current well being because I am being treated. Also it has been 1 year and 3 months since I got out, and I have been on medication for about 2 and a half months. Also, one of my parents committed suicide a day after I got back from deployment. I was on the fence about bringing this up, but I would be lying through my teeth if I brought up all the things that happened since I was 19 and didnt bring this up. Will this hurt my case in any way?

Edited by tw4904
Adding in another question.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

That is a horrific event to come home to.

But with a CAB and the PTSD diagnosis, it appears you certainly would have stressors prior to the suicide that VA must consider.Actually they should concede your inservice stressors.

The fact is that many Vietnam vets came home to a lot of stressors here,  and to an ungrateful nation,

yet they still had PTSD from the War, itself.

Honesty is always the best policy with VA.

Just answer any VA questions with the truth and I am sure you will do OK.

Edited by Berta

As berta says be honest with the doctors.  A PTSD C&P can be very stressful but do not be afraid to show emotions during the exam, some many try to put on a tough exterior but this only hurts you.  The doctors can spot someone who is faking but they might miss the point if you tell them everything is great.  It is not great or you would not be there.  The doctor may ask some pretty personal questions but do not get angry or upset with them and do not raise your voice, this only hurts you.  Their job is to get personal.  I do not know what else to say, you will do fine if you are 100% honest.

• HadIt.com Elder

tw4904

The VA Examiners or contracted out C&P Examiners are not suppose to judge our well being  PTSD is a hidden disease and we may look ok on the outside  but on the on the inside were not .

(Note:) for 100% RATING a veteran is judge by his appearance as Bad Hygiene   dirty  clothes , messy hair  ,bad breath, Bad Body Odor   over all appearance DIRTY LOOKING UNSANITARY of not being able to care for his well being because of the PTSD (I WILL WARN YOU NOT TO DRESS LIKE THIS IF THIS IS NOT THE WAY YOU CARE FOR YOURSELF)

Some veterans do have nervous problems and have a off look to them(A Stare gloom look) , some get anxiety just talking to others (I do) PTSD works in different ways ,

and as long as your taking medications and being treated for it  it may help some  which is a good thing ,but in my opinion there's no true cure for PTSD..I have had it now for 47 years AFTER I left Vietnam and for years I didn't know I had it and put my family through Hell and finally I got help from the VA.

I had no problems with my PTSD claim  I mention a few stressor's probably the worst ones  in my statement of the case or in my report with my claim , I may not have had to do that but some times they don't see CIB /CAB that or recognize we we were combat veterans.

(This should be on your DD 214)

IF you have all the Records Documented that you were in combat or was traumatized to an event while in the military ( Name of the operations that you were sent to duty for)  that should be the bases of your claim  Remember Veterans don't need to be in combat to have PTSD  during military  they can witness an event of death  other than combat or something horrible that is traumatizing to them and may not show the symptoms of PTSD  until years later . also a veteran can be a victim of Military Sexual Trauma.

Your symptoms is what they rate PTSD on  from 10% to 100%  its rated 10%30%50%70%100% Depends on the severity of the symptoms

3   Main Elements you need (not in any order)

1.You  need a a event in military that traumatized you (documented) it can also be proven by buddy letters if no documentation. OR PROOF OF LOCATIONS UNIT YOU SERVED WITH DATE AND APPROX TIME OF THE EVENT WITNESS COMMANDING OFFICERS NAME

2.A  PTSD Diagnoses DSM 5 by the VA

3.A Qualified Dr  to give his opinion on the two above and he/shE has read a your records and examined you. (Dr needs to give his/her credentials)

you should be good for your PTSD Claim   just as Ms berta & Vetquest  mention when you go to your forensic  C&P Exam always be honest and answer all the questions the best you can if you don't know the answer to a question just say you don't know.

Edited by Buck52

As stated above the most important thing is to be honest. But don't be afraid to tell them about your worse days and what really bothers you. I don't have PTSD but I do suffer from major depression and when I went to my C&P to look at me I looked just like anyone else you might see at the mall. But as we spoke I told her of my problems and how I tried to hide my problems from my family. I found the exam easy yet hard at the same time, I felt like I was less of a man because I could not cope with my problems. This was a lie I kept telling myself. There is nothing wrong in admitting you have problems and you have a hard time coping with it. 

Good luck for you will be fine.