VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Have Or Not To Have A Medical Exam By Ssa

Rate this question

tdak

Question

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone could give me any kind of input for this:

I had applied for SSD several years ago and was turned down, but they sent me to a SSA doctor for an exam. I also reapplied in 2004, same results, turned down, and had a medical exam. I filed again (never appealing any decision before, time always ran out) in 2006, but I have gone through brain surgery and have a condition that I will have forever and ever. This time they haven't sent me any info to go to a dr to have an exam.

Do I have more of a chance of getting SSD if there is no exam, especially since I have been turned down twice before this? Do you think they will still send me to one of their doctors for an exam again? I have gone online to check the status of my claim and it just keeps saying that they are in the medical process of my claim. I know that all of my medical files were released and sent in Nov. (I called all my doctors and asked for the dates). I really don't like the waiting process, I don't think anyone does!

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Guest rickb54

tdak,

it is really hard to say what SSA will do. It is possible that you will not have to see a SS doctor. When I applied for ssd I did not see a ss doctor, instead they reviewed my va medical records and at first gave a denial. I won my case at the administrative law judge level and I never saw any ss doctors. So it is possible to be awarded ssd based on you medical records only. Best of luck....

It all depends --

my husband had two SSA awards-

he never had an SSA exam. They used his VA medical records.

His first was for a totally disabling stroke- with brain damage- no exam needed by SSA- then he filed for SSA for his PTSD-

SSA tried to discourage him and we got a SSA lawyer-he said we didnt have a chance on the PTSD.

He never got SSA exam on that either- all VA medical records. He got the SSA award for PTSD which made the other SSA award mute and they gave him considerable more retro.

However the same PTSD records- all incurred at the VA-caused the VA to take 6 years- in all -to award him 100% for PTSD. figure that----

SSA took 4 months.

A friend of mine- not a vet- just had a SSA med exam- she told me the SSA doctor focused on what she considered minor conditions instead of her main spinal problems.

She is prepared for a denial and I gave her the ALLSUP info that others put here-

Maybe ALLSUP could help you-

http://www.allsupinc.com/

I filed for SS disability in July 2006. I had two exams. One for Back problems and the other for depression. The Dr's were very helpfull and responsive, and they really seemed to want to learn about my illnesses and injuries.

I was approved by Soc. Sec. in Dec. 2006.

I wouldn't think that it would be a bad thing to have an exam, but I would imagine it is a lot like a C&P exam from the VA. The outcome probably depends on the individual examiner and the person reveiwing what the examiner noted about you.

• HadIt.com Elder

My experience with Social Security Exam was good and all three were done by Professionals who were interested in helping. Most of my VA C&P's were just the opposite.