Potent tip about misery- Natures way of pushing people near each other

Hello fellow veterans.

I had an experience over years- each Spring, feel a lot better after the much worse Winter.  A chronic, physical, neurological, pain condition means the normal forces of life get multiplied or muted.

This year, worst Winter, but Spring brought a good day- so I went out, Motrin augmented, and used tractor to fix dirt road that was like a moonscape of potholes.

People came out along the stretch. Some angered, some wondering, some wanting to talk, and one person offered 600 for gravel in front of their place.

While placing the gravel (showing where to dump it) someone else wanted gravel next door on the road- I saw to it.

Soon, 10,000 dollars of gravel spread over a mile- and all I had to do was show people the gravel was appropriate for their investment, the results were obvious.

So, eventually, over a month passed, 60 truckloads (30 trips) and the road was done.  Some complained, others angry, others reassuring, others with critical useful information (how to make the road).

I went home when someone took a tractor and dug up the gravel in a sort of angry move.

When I went home, wondered how I worked for a month plus past the much worse pain, pain from Motrin harming kidneys, yet when I got home, was unwilling to do laundry, clean house, vacuum, Spring cleaning...  I thought hard.  The answer?

The Placebo Effect. 

No, I took no sugar pills- but when one goes to be tested with a sugar pill it is always a PERSON saying the pill helped.  A PERSON that one meets up with to see the results..  It is the PERSON not the PILL that makes a significant percentage feel their symptoms improve temporarily.

So, I realized, this year the Spring improvement was augmented by leaving the home- Nature always guides with discomfort if doing the wrong thing, pleasure if doing the right thing- moving back towards being near others- mean, angry, helpful, reassuring, no matter- just be near the (if you will) herd.

Disability isolates, insulates, makes one away from others, more so with time.  I avoid getting help from family- over decades it just hurts em to see it.  I avoid the VA because they very, very, often do more harm than good if not extremely vigilant.

Disability alters sleep-wake time.  It makes people get introverted.  It makes ordinary pleasures- eating at a restaurant- unpleasant. Makes having a mate problematic (in a few senses).  But aside from all this, merely being NEAR OTHERS in a physical, not just online way (I am pretty much a spider on the web, dispensing solutions wherever inspired, since the days of Compuserve, Netscape, and Prodigy). I can explain how this probably works.

In each persons gut (mouth to tail) there are microbes, bacteria like, much or most of your body weight is not you.  This means much of what makes a human operate or inoperable is the microbes NOT suffering from your disability- but from isolation from OTHER HUMANS and their microbiome.  Just being near a person (not necessarily that close!) means your microbiome matches up with other peoples- and a silent equalizing happens.

This explains why pain is so depressing, why depression is so isolating, and why isolating is so pandemic to the disabled.

This explains how the Placebo Effect works.

This explains why young people join terrorist groups- and how to fix it- get a non terror group for them to join.

This explains in part why people laugh more, louder, at jokes if in a room of people

This explains how people suspend disbelief much more in a theater than alone watching a show

Altogether, a solution offered for those in misery and won't even let that word (and others) pop to the surface of their awareness is to just get near other people.   Try this...

Go to a grocery store or similar venue.  Walk slow, be fairly dressed, not unkempt.  Shop.  When you see someone with another person, just walk up real discreet and comment on their purchase.  See how they light up?  Do it again.  And again. Maybe crack a joke. 

Now, go to the checkstand.  Pay for what you bought.  When the checker (forced) says ...would you like to donate your money or change to ...  you say ...Nah, I am trying to quit...  or tell them another joke (Do these GMO free eggs come with free HBO?)

When you leave, look how you feel- do you feel better mentally despite the possible pain from ambulating about?

Seems plain we vets should try to meet up with other, very near, vets for a bite to eat, a pizza party, a regularly recurring thing.  Something like a 12 step group without the ...stuff that has creeped into that movement over decades...  Maybe call it a Half Step movement?  At Ease?  Ah.  Not good at naming things.

Let me know if this resonates with you.  Try to please Nature by getting near others even if you usually wait to feel better to get out- instead, feel better by meeting up, even hold a meet at your place if practical. Hot dogs and a loaf of bread and ketchup probably is enough.

Consider the reward from being selfless.  If you want a smile, see this video and if you identify with its meme about pain and being trapped. Notice the hero is not alone.

Spidey

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By broncovet
      The new 2022 VA compensation rate tables are here.  
      OR, you can do it the easy way:  Multiply your current compensation times 1.059 and "poof" there is what your new pay will be.  
      (That is a shortcut to multiplying it times 5.9 percent and then adding to your current. )
      https://bit.ly/3cHnxli
      Thanks to cck law for this heads up.  
    • By deedub75
      Hello all,
      I've been trying to figure out a way to a rating increased to 60% so I can receive SMC-S. I'm already rated 100% P&T, hence the need for one disability to be rated at 60%. I've been looking through my ratings and I think my best bet is to try to get my 30% rating for insomnia disorder with bruxism increased to 70%. Of course, my insomnia has worsened a lot since I received a 30% rating for it in 2014 and I have extensive medical records showing how bad it's gotten. I even take Provigil now for excessive daytime sleepiness. I know there is not a specific rating criteria for insomnia so the VA rates it analogous to mental disorders. I have also been diagnosed with anxiety and major depressive disorders as well and tried and failed on many antidepressants. I'm not service connected for this but I could probably I could probably get this on a secondary basis. 
      I'm looking for advice on the best way to attack this. Should I just ask for an increase in my in my insomnia rating? Should I try to get service connected for anxiety and major depressive disorder? Should I apply for both and just let the VA combine them? 
      Any thoughts?
    • By Squanto
      Hi All,
      USAF retiree here, 24 years.  Retired in 2004.  I've tried to get rated for depression a couple times but shot down and due to the depression I give up.  Trying again though as I'm now on some better meds.  Hoping I can find some good advice and assistance here.  Thanks and God bless you all
    • By USMCNASA
      Brand new here.  I'm posting because I'm so confused and unsure if I'm doing the right stuff, or if I should be doing it at all.
      I'm hoping to find answers on how to file a claim for GAD/Major depression.  Here's my story.
      1996-2000 high school captain of soccer and baseball teams.  Captain of Snare Drum line in marching band.
      2000 - enlist in USMC, squad leader in boot camp, meritoriously promoted to PFC at graduation.
      2001 - Class leader in A school
      2002 - PCS to Japan (Iwakuni) volunteer for secondary school, awarded Microminiature soldering credentials.  Perform extra duties and awarded Meritorious Mast for going above and beyond.  Compete in meritorious board for Cpl, and win.
      2002 cont. While celebrating the win (but not yet actually promoted) engage in arm wrestling match, and lose, terribly.  Suffer spiral fracture which requires evacuation to naval hospital for surgery - internal fixation (plate and 8 screws).  Require months of rehab, and continuous wear of mechanical brace and continued light duty for months.
      Ok, this is where things get hairy.
      2002 cont. PCS back stateside (NY) while still wearing mechanical brace and on light duty.  Within 1 week of reporting, promotion ceremony is held.  I had to be promoted while wearing a brace and a sling, no "pinning" of rank and no "earning" of blood stripe.  From this point on, I'm pretty much viewed as a punk, and a melingerer.  I stop volunteering for extra duties or assignments, motivation drops, etc.
      2003 - Drink heavily.  Merry an awful woman who is into drugs.
      2004 - pop on piss test.  Before NJP, I make Sergeant due to previous meritorious promotions and excellent pro/con, rifle, PFT scores.  This infuriates most Marines in my squadron, and further solidifies my reputation as a shitbird, because I am a piss-popped mellinger who made Sergeant before most people.
      2004 cont. NJPed, busted down to Cpl. Result of NJP is that I will not be discharged, based on demonstration of excellent performance earlier in service, but will not be allowed to re-enlist.  During a PT session I fall and get a class III AC joint separation, which again requires light duty and use of a sling.  Anyone who didn't think I was a melingerer before, starts thinking/calling me one now.
      2005 - EAS.
      2005 - Civilian diagnosed with everything from ADHD, to GAD, to MDD, to bipolar.  Various medications do not improve mental performance or fatigue.  
      2013 - buddy talks me in to visiting VA for disability due to arm.  Awarded 30%, feel like I don't deserve it because of NJP.
      2019 - visit VA mental health clinic, diagnosed with GAD and MDD.  Therapist suggests sleep study.  Just got results.  I have mild sleep apnea.

I have decided to file a claim for GAD/MDD and sleep apnea.  I have buddy statements on the official VA forms from Marines who served with me from boot camp through Japan stating I was a stellar Marine.  I have statements from Marines who served with me in NY stating I was not at all stellar, and performed poorly.  I have statements from civilian coworkers stating I had performance issues, was fired from a job, and was on the chopping block at another.
      I have medical records from Naval hospitals for all my injuries.
      So, from other service members, does it sound like I have any chance at a case? How should I file? I have an appointment with my previous Psych. Nurse Practitioner in 2 months from now, to request a nexus letter.  I don't know if she will write one, but based on our prior treatment session discussions, I believe she agrees my GAD and MDD or related to my service.
      Where do I go from here?  Should I even be filing a case at all?
    • By paoret82655
      I applied for 100% unemployability on my own after my VSO did nothing to help with the process back in February 2021. I received my decision this month stating that I was denied and was also reduced from 70% to 50% for PTSD and depression. They removed anxiety and alcohol use. When I was asked questions during my C&P they kept asking me what happened within the last year, not what happened since the date of injury, which was 2013. I'm not sure how to approach this issue any further. I want to appeal but I want my entire case looked at because I feel that I've been unjustly reviewed. What should I do for 100% UI?
  • Ads

• Our picks

• Burn Pit Claim Assistance
      The NVLSP launched its Burn Claim Assistance program:  Details at the NVLSP website:

https://www.nvlsp.org/what-we-do/burn-pits-claims-assistance-program/
      • 0 replies
    • I have a C&P exam scheduled for next week for sleep apnea. I completed an at home sleep study sent by VES. However, I just visited ebenefits and noticed that my claim has been closed before my scheduled exam. Anyone ever experience this?
      • 11 replies
    • I already get compensation for bladder cancer for Camp Lejeune Water issue, now that it is added to Agent Orange does it mean that the VA should pay me the difference between Camp Lejeune and 1992 when I retired from the Marine Corps or do I have to re-apply for it for Agent Orange, or will the VA look at at current cases already receiving bladder cancer compensation. I’m considered 100% Disabled Permanently 
      • 20 replies
    • 5,10, 20 Rule
      The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
      • 58 replies
    • Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

444%
    $6,673.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines