VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veterans Law Blog strategy vs eBenefits

Rate this question

glashutte

Question

I studied Veterans Law Blog and he recommends mailing in your claim and organizing the documents like so (see attached). However, is this the old school way to do it?

The only way to do this on eBenefits is to type everything out and attach it as a file in supporting documents. And it would be a lot of files

Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 10.48.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 10.48.35 PM.png

478616090_ScreenShot2019-06-24at10_48_44PM.thumb.png.6e48dd3b2ffda2bf5ca51b26ce6e8268.png

Edited by glashutte

2 minutes ago, glashutte said:

hould I shorten this or keep

other than the other changes I just wrote to you that is fine... again, unless your in-service report says you have secondary esophagits dont use either word. If it is in your in-service medical records it is okay to use.

6 minutes ago, glashutte said:

esophagitis

what does your medical record say? does it use that word? does it say glashutte has esophagitis? or does it say glashutte has GERD and esophagitis?

just list what the medical record says. if it does not specifically connect the two, make it it's own condition and let the VA decide if it is secondary.

23 minutes ago, GeekySquid said:

what does your medical record say? does it use that word? does it say glashutte has esophagitis? or does it say glashutte has GERD and esophagitis?

just list what the medical record says. if it does not specifically connect the two, make it it's own condition and let the VA decide if it is secondary.

It says GERD with esophagitis, so I will put that as advised. 

For things such as GERD or other conditions, do I list what I think the causes are? If no then how will I prove service connection despite them being diagnosed in service?

Or even something like my nasal polyp surgery (polyps from allergies) and allergies were PROBABLY caused my the extreme desert conditions I was stationed in. 

Edited by glashutte

18 minutes ago, glashutte said:

do I list what I think the causes are?

I don't know what events or all the issues you are claiming are. You need a nexus event to attribute your in-service condition too. you have to tell the TRUTH... they will look for corroboration. Lying will cause you problems. 

so for GERD (and I have no idea if this causes GERD it is just a rough example off the top of my head)

In 2015 I was assigned to Camp Hole-in-the-Wall. We had to bug out and I was in charge of the burn pits. we had to make sure everything we couldn't carry out with us was destroyed. There were thousands of gallons of fuel and toxic chemicals, mattresses, electronics, trash, etc etc etc. I inhaled those fumes directly for 6 days straight. then hiked 50 miles to our next location. After that exposure I began having problems with what I thought was acid reflux. At first I just figured it was something I ate, but after a few days of really bad heart burn I went to the medic....blah blah blah. then NOv 1 2016 Dr Schmuck at field hospital Dysentery Central said I had GERD and prescribed XXXXX. Today my GERD is so bad that even during work I have searing pain in my throat as bile and stomach acids try to come up. I run to the bathroom 11-teen times a day to get the taste out of my mouth.

if it affects your sleep write that too.

if in the above far out example the camp was attacked and mortar rounds exploded around you then develop your statement to include those facts to support your anxiety claim.

think of it this way, you are telling your story. You are weaving a tale around the events that directly or indirectly caused you the harms you are claiming compensation for. These are things that affect your ability to work.

Edited by GeekySquid

7 minutes ago, GeekySquid said:

I don't know what events or all the issues you are claiming are. You need a nexus event to attribute your in-service condition too. you have to tell the TRUTH... they will look for corroboration. Lying will cause you problems. 

so for GERD (and I have no idea if this causes GERD it is just a rough example off the top of my head)

In 2015 I was assigned to Camp Hole-in-the-Wall. We had to bug out and I was in charge of the burn pits. we had to make sure everything we couldn't carry out with us was destroyed. There were thousands of gallons of fuel and toxic chemicals, mattresses, electronics, trash, etc etc etc. I inhaled those fumes directly for 6 days straight. then hiked 50 miles to our next location. After that exposure I began having problems with what I thought was acid reflux. At first I just figured it was something I ate, but after a few days of really bad heart burn I went to the medic....blah blah blah. then NOv 1 2016 Dr Schmuck at field hospital Dysentery Central said I had GERD and prescribed XXXXX. Today my GERD is so bad that even during work I have searing pain in my throat as bile and stomach acids try to come up. I run to the bathroom 11-teen times a day to get the taste out of my mouth.

if it affects your sleep write that too.

if in the above far out example the camp was attacked and mortar rounds exploded around you then develop your statement to include those facts to support your anxiety claim.

think of it this way, you are telling your story. You are weaving a tale around the events that directly or indirectly caused you the harms you are claiming compensation for. These are things that affect your ability to work.

That's rough. Severe GERD is so bothersome. 

In my case I really don't know what caused my GERD. I just started to get it during service, had an endoscopy, and had to go to the emergency room a few times for it. So just by chance it started during service. I don't think being in the Army caused it at all...

In this case, is it even contemplated by the VA to be service connected or not at all?

For the Nexus statement, is this done as part of Statement in support form or separately? 

Edited by glashutte