VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Any male hadit member had their prostate removed?

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks rockerson, I agree with ya about the us old farts   thats the honest truth...I have not tried the Saw Palmetto or any other  herbal supplements, thought I'd try it before bring all this up to the Dr  lot of times the PCP will refer all this to urology and they start all these test ect,,ect,, if this  Saw Palmetto will help the swelling go down I should empty out enough to get some sleep   right now I get up about 3 times during the nightwhat I hate is I think I'm done and I'm not and dribble goes every where commode on my shorts  as the spouse hates having to spray them with  sprays  I think she uses Greased-lighten  spray?

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I used to hear commercials on the radio for some type of Saw Palmetto prostate supplement. I never tried it because the VA has me on a couple of meds which produce similar side effects. On the bright side, I am down to having one episode of nocturia or less per night. Depending on the kind of meds you take, it might be worth talking to a pharmacist and have them look over your list of meds to identify any interactions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • HadIt.com Elder

I am trying my best not to have the prostate surgery.

Well I ordered some prostate supplements called

''Prostate Formula Advance  formulation with Saw Palmetto &  Ginger''

I got a 3 months supply and take three Tabs daily with meals.

so guess I see if this helps my bladder empty out more..

Anyone of you guys tried this supplement?

From Real Health 

Prostate Formula with Saw Palmetto.

Advanced Formulation

The meds the VA gives me is not helping  so I stopped taking them   Meds  they prescribe for me...nothing was happening with this issue.

I have a VA urology appointment coming up in a couple weeks.

• HadIt.com Elder

Any of you guys tried this?   just curious if its a good deal or not?  or if he helps at all?  it was pretty expensive.

9 hours ago, Buck52 said:

''Prostate Formula Advance  formulation with Saw Palmetto &  Ginger''

no idea about that combo. I use Saw Palmetto and Cranberry but not as a combo.

It helps to a point.

• 5 months later...

I had some psa tests over the last several months. I was formerly holding at about 3.8-4.0 then I had some in the 6’s and my pcp sent me to a urologist for a pre-surgical counseling.

Scares the crap out of me! I’m 61 and retired 7 years ago and have been pretty sedentary. I went straight out and joined a fitness place. I’ve lost a few pounds in the first two weeks and am now at 222 at close to 6’ tall. I probably need to get down to 180 but I’m sure someone looking at those BMI charts would say something like 155. Never liked those. At 40 I was on a health kick and was under 5% body fat at 160.

I also went out and bought some supplements. I got saw palmetto, lycopene, and turmeric. From reading here I guess I should get some cranberry pills, too.

I have been on testosterone injections for a few years and the urologist suggested I lay off it awhile and have my psa tested again. I’m hopeful that it will do the trick.

I have looked online a bit about prostate problems and solutions and  none of it lookslike any fun. The urologist suggested a biopsy but I see that it may carry the same risk of severing a nerve and leaving me impotent.

I see forums with people who have been through all this and they say not to get the surgery unless it is some robotic procedure. Does the VA do it that way?