VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Trichloroethylene Effects Need Advice

Rate this question

Blackfin  SS-332

Question

I served on the diesel submarine the USS Blackfin from 1962-1966.  It was a diesel sub.  I was a sonar technician.  I now have diabetes, lymphocyctic leukemia, bladder cancer, and peripheral neuropathy.  In my post civilian career, I have worked in an office environment. I am not overweight,  I am a light drinker and a non-smoker  (never).  Asking for help from the group on knowledge of successful VA claims, and/or any guidance moving forward.  I was denied in 2012 because of a poorly crafted claim.  

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

The VA’s AO ships list is being updated ( to include I assume ,some of  those Navy vessels that fall under the Bill HR 299,) that President Trump signed yesterday.

The USS Blackfin,however, is on this list at this link.

Does Perch BAse mean anything to you, or the author Ray Mabus?

In part the letter to Sentor Akaka ( dated 2010) and copy to Raymond Burr indicates he was definitely looking into the Agent Orange situation.

The enclosed list also includes ships that received an Armed Forces

Expeditionary Medal for participation in the evacuation of Cambodia (Operation EAGLE

PULL), the evacuation of Vietnam (Operation FREQUENT WIND), and the Mayaguez

Operation. As no definition of the term "off the coast of Vietnam" was provided, this

represents the most logical estimation of that phrase we are able to define.

Narrowing the list down to those ships that operated within a closer proximity to

the Vietnam mainland requires designating precise latitude and longitude boundaries for

the area considered to be off the coast of Vietnam. If those boundaries are established,

the deck logs for the ships on the enclosed list might be researched to determine which

served within the area defmed. The deck logs for Navy ships from 1962 to 1975 are no

longer in Navy custody. In accordance with Title 44 requirements, we have transferred

those records to the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). Should the

Committee on Veterans Affairs wish to pursue a more in depth study of this matter, it

would need to contact that agency.

http://www.perch-base.org/Index_Files/Mabus_letter.pdf

Trichloroethykene was part of the contamination problem at Camp Lejuene.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2017/01/13/2017-00499/diseases-associated-with-exposure-to-contaminants-in-the-water-supply-at-camp-lejeune

Were you ever stationed at Camp Lejeune?

It is possible however that your ship was exposed to Agent Orange.

I will post the info on what the New Blue Water Navy Bill has.

Here are the Blue Water Navy ship coordinates:

HR 299, the Blue Water Navy bill states:
"d    (d)
Determination of offshore
Notwithstanding any other provision of law, for purposes of this section, the Secretary shall treat a location as being offshore of Vietnam if the location is not more than 12 nautical miles seaward of a line commencing on the southwestern demarcation line of the waters of Vietnam and Cambodia and intersecting the following points:
Points Geographic Names Latitude 
North
Longitude 
East
At Hon Nhan Island, Tho Chu Archipelago Kien Giang Province 9°15.0′ 103°27.0′
At Hon Da Island southeast of Hon Khoai Island Minh Hai Province 8°22.8′ 104°52.4′
At Tai Lon Islet, Con Dao Islet in Con Dao-Vung Toa Special Sector 8°37.8′ 106°37.5′
At Bong Lai Islet, Con Dao Islet 8°38.9′ 106°40.3′
At Bay Canh Islet, Con Dao Islet 8°39.7′ 106°42.1′
At Hon Hai Islet (Phu Qui group of islands) Thuan Hai Province 9°58.0′ 109°5.0′
At Hon Doi Islet, Thuan Hai Province 12°39.0′ 109°28.0′
At Dai Lanh point, Phu Khanh Province 12°53.8′ 109°27.2′
At Ong Can Islet, Phu Khanh Province 13°54.0′ 109°21.0′
At Ly Son Islet, Nghia Binh Province         15°23.1′ 109° 9.0′
At Con Co Island, Binh Tri Thien Province             17°10.0′      107°20.6′

I do not believe these will change but the regulations will take time to be prepared.

If your Deck logs show the ship within those coordinates during the Vietnam War , the Bill's intent is to consider you as a Vietnam veteran, with no need for proof of "boots on ground".

My war map of Vietnam is here somewhere and that might help some veteran figure out where they were in relation to the coast of Vietnam.

"
"

• I

I can translate if needed ......many places were Americanized by our Military-post-868-1150901023.jpg

This site might help if you need to find a Buddy-nice photo of the ship as well

http://www.hullnumber.com/reunion_info.php?cm=SS-322

I assume that was the USS Blackfin's Hull number ( SS 322)

You need to join the site to get more info.

I did not find the USS BAckfin on the most recent 2019 VAAO ship list but that does not mean you are not covered by HR 299, if your ship fits into the coordinates above .

Ships moved so the co ordinates might change on the deck logs.

The AO ships list has grown, in great part, to the fact that veterans themselves proved exactly where their ship was during the Vietnam War.

I will check further with a Blue Water Navy advocate I know as to the letter from Ray Mabus that lists the USS Blackfin.

Please Blue Waters, tell any other BWN you know of the new Bill that the President signed Tuesday.

If they do not use a PC and have access to Google, they might never find out.

PS- The Mabus letter here might help you a lot-

http://www.perch-base.org/Index_Files/Mabus_letter.pdf

Ray Mabus was Secretary of the Navy until 2017.