VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Denied SC for Tinnitus - Seriously confused - contradictory C&P opinion?

Rate this question

RangerWife

Question

My husband was just denied SC for hearing loss and tinnitus. I would have expected 0% hearing loss for left ear and 10% tinnitus. I attached the C&P resultsAudiology DBQ.docx - it seems to me like the audiologist contradicts herself in her rationale - or maybe I am just confused? But overall it does seem to say he has tinnitus and its linked to service? Not sure what to think of this. Any insight would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Edited by RangerWife

6 hours ago, Richard1954 said:

I had a conversation with the examiner during the a c/p hearing test  and she told me that they have been instructed to increase the DB levels for all C/p Exams, by increasing the levels its a sure thing most claims will be denied.  

Richard1954 - I'm sorry for what you have been through and the long fight. I'm glad to hear you finally got your ratings. Also glad to hear another person agrees that my husband's write up makes no sense. As far as the quote above re: turning up the DB levels...sounds like a class action law suit!

6 hours ago, brokensoldier244th said:

Sure, but even at a 0 rating you would still qualify for hearing aids, and most of the models available now generate a subtone of white noise to help cancel out tinnitus, too. Its not perfectly tuned to cancel out, but it helps. 

That is a fantastic point, I didn't realize that. Thank you for pointing that out!

I was an artillery man, SRBs were available, my MOS was presumptive, and they still denied me. Of course I appealed straight to a DRO hearing and won 0% for hearing and 10% for the tinnitus. I now have hearing aids to combat the tinnitus. You gotta fight The Man.

Sgt. Wilky

• HadIt.com Elder

Absolutely! Never give up.Tinnitus at 10% is the max we can get; it is either 10% or denied. You can't get 0%. But if you were in artillery, if you didn't get at least 10%, with the 0% ,you can go back and get it check in a few years because you are now s-c. Interestingly, the way they evaluate, it isn't your ears, it is your hearing. They average the reading from both ears and if the average doesn't make the boggy on the chart, you just get the 0%. Several guys I know have hearing in one ear not too good, but the other ear is, and because of that, the AVERAGE is too low for a rating.