VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Denied SC for Tinnitus - Seriously confused - contradictory C&P opinion?

Rate this question

RangerWife

Question

My husband was just denied SC for hearing loss and tinnitus. I would have expected 0% hearing loss for left ear and 10% tinnitus. I attached the C&P resultsAudiology DBQ.docx - it seems to me like the audiologist contradicts herself in her rationale - or maybe I am just confused? But overall it does seem to say he has tinnitus and its linked to service? Not sure what to think of this. Any insight would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Edited by RangerWife

12 hours ago, chibears3531 said:

Isn't a 0% rating for tinnitus awarded if it's infrequent? I'm curious what the minimum frequency of tinnitus episodes is for a 10% rating. Weekly, bi-weekly, everyday?

I found a VA training doc on Tinnitus (VA-Training-Letter-10-02_hearing.docx) that states the following:

"Both constant and intermittent tinnitus are considered to be recurrent, which is the requirement under diagnostic code 6260 for assigning a 10-percent evaluation."

• HadIt.com Elder

Tinnitus once service connected warrants a 10% rating  and 10% is all tinnitus can be rated for and its for both ears.

They are not sure what causes tinnitus?  only that it is in conjunction with hearing loss  or some Immune system in which is a constant sounds to the middle of the head.

We received the actual denial letter for tinnitus on July 8th. Later that same day, I faxed a form 20-0996 for an HLR along with a document of contentions/disagreement with it. The HLR claim still has not shown up in e-benefits or va.gov - but I when I went in to look, his disability % had changed and tinnitus was changed to 10%. Not certain if they caught their own error or if they processed the HLR faster than they could get it into the system, but good news either way...and lightning fast!