VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

flatfoot years after military service

Rate this question

O.C.

Question

I have many denied claims, even after submitting doctors claim forms for flatfoot and ankle problems from a podiatrist. I ran 5 mile Mon thru Thursday and Friday 10 miles with boots without arches 1973 to 1976. I have no report at health clinics while in the military, but noticed my shoe heel had a bad wear to one side while on my first job after the military. I was not aware of reporting this to the VA at that time compared to the military now that will mentor you to do so. Now after many years after the fact my feet arches are collapsed and my ankle sits to one side. Anybody out there with experience on how to get a claim that I deserve. I'm exhausted and almost discouraged for the reason many Veterans will not pursue  their claims.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

This article by vet lawyers makes a good point:

"How does one actually get this service connected though? That answer is actually a little simpler. Evidence in service is a must with this condition. I have spoken to several Veterans who have sought treatment in service because of their flatfoot condition. They may have asked for different boots to be issued, given insoles/inserts, or even received medical treatment while in service. These individuals are more likely to get service connection than those who don’t seek treatment while in service.  If you have been discharged for a while, further medical treatment after service will also be beneficial for service connection. Just like any other claim in the VA, medical evidence makes a world of difference."

https://veterandisabilityblog.com/blog/can-i-get-service-connected-for-a-flatfoot-condition/

You need an inservice nexus and I hope you have gone through your SMRS carefully to see if,in fact, you did attempt to get "different boots" or insoles, inserts, or any medical treatment at all for this condition,.while inservice.

Any treatment for this condition not long after service, as the article states, would help as well.

Your claim is not unusual-plenty of veteran are service connected for Pes Planus (flat feet) but ,after a passages of many years, there could be many other causes for the condition.

Getting service connection for any condition is the same:  GET the Caluza elements documented.  

Lets focus on Caluza element 2 (in service event), since it sounds like you have a diagnosis, and may get a nexus but if you dont have an in service event or aggravation, then it will never fly.  

My son weighed about 130 pounds in boot camp.  He carried a backpack on long trips which often exceeded 130 pounds.  That is a bad idea, and very hard on your feet, knees and back.  

You probably need a buddy letter.  Your buddies can testify that you had to carry heavy backpacks and long runs..and that your feet hurt afterwards!

They can also testify your Drill instructor told you to "suck it up", if you complained about the foot pain, and ridiculed you if you went to sick bay for treatment.  

Did you mention "foot pain" or some sort of foot condition on your exit physical??

That could be a deal maker/deal breaker.  

Dont give up. 

Yes, you will need a nexus.  Even after you have an "in service event" documented, you still need a link from your in service event to your current condition.  Only a doctor can provide that. 

Get all caluza elements documented and you should be rewarded with SC.  Give up, and you get nothing.  Caluza elements:  1.  Current diagnosis 2.  In service event or aggravation.  3.  Nexus.  

Edited by broncovet

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
2 hours ago, Berta said:

These individuals are more likely to get service connection than those who don’t seek treatment while in service.

Given the nature of the military itself, seeking treatment at that time was frowned upon unless the issue was extremely obvious. I served in the 1990's and it was not too different.

I like @broncovet's advice to get a buddy letter to help officially document the "in service event". 

What was your MOS? 

If you were a groundpounder, you might have a small chance to use that. It's a stretch, considering you DID NOT seek treatment in-service, but it's worth a shot.

If you were a POG/Admin, then there's zero chance. Which I don't think you were, since you mentioned you would PT 5 days a week. 

I agree with getting a buddy letter. In addition, it would help if you had your C-file or service medical record. 

Once you tell me your MOS i can begin to research some medical literature for you and give you my findings.