VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Medical discharged during basic training

Rate this question

MrStryker

Question

My uncle was in basic training and was discharged for hearing back in 72. He received an honorable discharge according to his DD214. 

Would there be a claim based on the presumption of soundness? I haven't seen any of the entrance exams other than his DD214.

There really isn't enough information to make an informed  opinion... however,  an education guess would be ....if he was discharged during basic training unless the hearing loss occurred in basic I doubt be would be entitled to compensation.

37 minutes ago, Richard1954 said:

There really isn't enough information to make an informed  opinion... however,  an education guess would be ....if he was discharged during basic training unless the hearing loss occurred in basic I doubt be would be entitled to compensation.

What section of the regulation covers basic training? I was surprised the DD214 shows honorable with a good conduct medal.

• HadIt.com Elder

Not enough info. If he was discharged in basic, there should be a code number that explains why. It could be honorable, I suppose, but it usually was general under honorable conditions i.e. medical reasons (again, there should be a code on it. As for gcm, no way. He didn't go the full amount of time to earn it. Doesn't sound right.

28 minutes ago, GBArmy said:

As for gcm, no way. He didn't go the full amount of time to earn it. Doesn't sound right.

I agree

2 hours ago, MrStryker said:

What section of the regulation covers basic training? I was surprised the DD214 shows honorable with a good conduct medal.

It would take some research to determine which regulation covered that time period......

Probably he got an ELS discharge? Honorable for basic training is like unheard of but, it was the 70s so who knows.