VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cp exam weight

Rate this question

Phild523

Question

I was just wondering how much weight a rater gives to the results of a c&p exam. I have heard people say that if an examiner gives you at least as likely as not that you are service connected for that issue under the cfr. Others have said that the rater does not have to go by that and only uses the exam as a piece of evidence.  In my situation I have been sent to two initial tbi c&p exams each time with the examiner saying at least as likely as not. I also went to a C&p for PTSD which I received due to or resulting from. Then the cp examiner for ptsd was asked for a medical opinion in which she said at least as likely as not. 

Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks for your input. 

Once you have the Caluza elements, you just keep appealing until you can get a decision maker who can read.  (Which is not easy at the VA, since most can not read.  Some CAN read, but dont read because they are too lazy.)  

At least as likely as not, is just one piece of the Caluza triangle.  You also need a current diagnosis and an in service event.  But, "at least as likely as not" seems to be the toughest one for many.  

Such a c and p exam is likely highly probative.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Bronc said it best; but "at least as likely as not" won't do it by itself if you don't have the other two parts i.e. diagnosis and in-service event. Must have all three.

• HadIt.com Elder

Oh, yes, it has happened.  The VA just denies claims sometimes because they know that at least 50% of vets won't appeal.  I was denied for a heart condition due to AO.  My VA doctor wrote a report for me that was golden, but the c&p  "doctor" who was a nurse nixed it.  I appealed and got 60%.  It is weird because the denial was absurd and the appeal was absurd also. None of the decisions the VA made were logical but I won that round.