VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A new member of The 100%P&T Club

Rate this topic

Los

I filed my first VA claim in 2013. Most of the claim was denied however I did receive a 20%sc which shortly after changed to 40% after they ruled on another item that had earlier been deferred. I immediately filed an appeal and shortly thereafter another claim for new conditions. The new claim was completely denied and I immediately filed a second appeal. Hoping I would win one appeal and be able to reach a 70%sc and qualify for TDIU I went ahead and applied for TDIU even though I was still just 40%. I figured I might at least be able to get an earlier effective date if approved. It too was denied. I filed a third appeal. So for about 6 years I’ve watched 3 separate appeals work their way through the system and when the first one got to The Board they also addressed the other 2 appeals at the same time. I won all three of my appeals and I am now 90%sc/w TDIU paid at the 100% rate and my letter says it’s Permanent & Total. This is a huge life changer. Never give up the fight. 

Dont forget to take advantage of all your benefits.  Examples are Champva for spouse, state benefits such as tax abatements in some states, and some have free fishing licenses for 100 percent Vets (which usually includes tdiu).  

If you have been paying a copay for meds at your VAMC, you should be able to get a check for that money back.  

I got a check back for around 400 dollars in copays back..I didnt pay the copays, as I didnt have the money,  but they took them out of tax refund checks.  

• HadIt.com Elder

To tag onto what Bronc said regarding meds co-pay, you are eligible because of an increase/change in you rating. Just call Peggy and ask to speak to someone to get an "audit" of your current account. Takes a couple weeks, but after review they send you a check (our put it in your direct deposit if you are already set-up) for any funds you paid out for those specific meds while your claim was in the works. Makes them look to make sure they need to add any others to the no cost list that you might not have had to order during that time period as well. So this works not only when you get to 100%, but also if you take meds for any new VA approved disability. A lot of Veterans don't think to do that.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use