VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Helpless Child VA Benefit and SSI Disability

Rate this question

CVN Driver

Question

I am 100% P&T and I applied for  and was granted Helpless Child for my stepson before his 18th birthday with little or no problems from the VA. He is now over 18 and eligible for Social Security benefits, but we are having issues with the SSA and the VA. Social Security is docking my son's SSI payments and counting the helpless child payment as income for him because I am getting the helpless child payment on my VA disability. After lots of calls and back and forth, we have finally got SSA to say that we need a letter from the VA showing the break out of the payments and that the payments from the VA is only for me. However, when I looked on EBenefits I could not find a letter or link that shows the breakdown /stack up of how my payment is determined. I tried showing the SSA the chart from the VA website, but that is not good enough for that side of the government. So my questions are: 1) Has anyone else fought this fight with 2 of the most obtuse government agencies before? 2)Is there anyway to get or generate a letter or some other documentation close to what he SSA is requiring? 3) Is there somewhere on the VA site that shows our payment breakdown, not just the total award, i.e. $xxxxx for 100%, $xxxx for SMC, $xxx for dependents, etc.?

I have not found the answer to that yet.  Storms affecting my internet.

Did you receive dependents allowance from the VA if your VA Service connection was 30 % or more?

"If you are a … Then you may be entitled to additional benefits for … veteran entitled to disability compensation who has a combined disability rating of at least 30 percent • a spouse, • children under age 18, • children that are between the ages of 18 and 23 who are attending school, • children over age 18 that are permanently incapable of self-support, and/or • dependent parents."

https://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-686c-ARE.pdf