VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

AO IHD . Do I have what I need to file ?

Rate this question

James G.

Question

I have had a recent CT scan (at the VA ) of my chest , and the report says:

"Thoracic aorta and great vessels : Atherosclerosis "

also "Heart and pericardium : Severe coronary artery calcification".

also "Patent major vasculature, with atherosclerotic disease".

And a CT scan of my head  (at the VA ), and the report says :

"There is deep and periventricular white matter hypodensity suggestive of chronic microvascular disease".

So what if anything do I file for and what other medical information do I need before I file ? Do I file now ?I appreciate any and all advice . I am 50% SC for hearing (40%) and tinnitus (10%) . I have ulcerative colitis and severe COPD and on oxygen .I am "boots on the ground ". 

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If you were in Vietnam;  Absolutely file! "Including, but not limited to IHD?CAD."

16 hours ago, GBArmy said:

If you were in Vietnam;  Absolutely file! "Including, but not limited to IHD?CAD."

I don't know if I need to do anything else before I file ? Do I need more medical reports or just rely on what I have (above in original post) ? What all should I file for ? Should I use a VSO like the American Legion or DAV . I'm afraid I'll get this wrong . I need this for my wife so she would be eligible for DIC as my health is not the best . We aren't well off and she will need it . I have an operation scheduled soon and I need to file this first . Please help if you or anyone else can provide guidance .

Edited by James G.
forgot info

• HadIt.com Elder

I would send in ever thing but the kitchen sink....  send ALL and every medical records &  medical notes you can get your hands on make copies  keep everything you get from the VA AND EVERYTHING YOU SEND THEM & send in anything to do with what your claiming,. THE MORE MEDICAL EVIDENCE THE BETTER ON YOUR CLAIM.

Although the A.O. was passed for the B.W. Veterans  I can only imagine the VA is going to go over every thing with a finer tooth comb, this is a huge huge victory for B.W. Veterans,  the retro pay for most of these veterans  is going to be HUGE(Yhaooooo)   so their going to comb these A.O. CLAIMS PRECISELY   Unless they use the old tactic on EED and say the retro only goes back to the date filed?  I am not sure just how they are going to work these new A.O. Claims?

...I pray that they go back to the dates in Vietnam.for a EED and not the date filed.

3 clauza elments

1. DIAGNOSES

2.NEXUS TO PROVE IT HAPPEN WHILE IN MILITARY (likely as not)

3. Dr Reports to connect the #2   and lay statment from veteran him.herself.

1 hour ago, Buck52 said:

I would send in ever thing but the kitchen sink....  send ALL and every medical records &  medical notes you can get your hands on make copies  keep everything you get from the VA AND EVERYTHING YOU SEND THEM & send in anything to do with what your claiming,. THE MORE MEDICAL EVIDENCE THE BETTER ON YOUR CLAIM.

Although the A.O. was passed for the B.W. Veterans  I can only imagine the VA is going to go over every thing with a finer tooth comb, this is a huge huge victory for B.W. Veterans,  the retro pay for most of these veterans  is going to be HUGE(Yhaooooo)   so their going to comb these A.O. CLAIMS PRECISELY   Unless they use the old tactic on EED and say the retro only goes back to the date filed?  I am not sure just how they are going to work these new A.O. Claims?

...I pray that they go back to the dates in Vietnam.for a EED and not the date filed.

3 clauza elments

1. DIAGNOSES

2.NEXUS TO PROVE IT HAPPEN WHILE IN MILITARY (likely as not)

3. Dr Reports to connect the #2   and lay statment from veteran him.herself.

Thank you so much Buck 52 and all others that may help me !

• HadIt.com Elder

To build on what Buck said, you didn't include a lot in your initial post, so we have to assume some things. First, assume you are either 1) going to get denied, or 2) you are going to get low-balled. If you win out, great. But you are dealing with the VA here, so if you go with the percentages, its probably going to be either one. So expect that. You already are rated at 50% (or so); they aren't going make it easy for you to increase your ratings. A lot of your conditions are heart and CAD, so that that is what you put in for. In all likelyhood, you probably have HTN hi blood pressure also. I would put in for that also. There is several comments talking about it here, and it possibly will be added to the AO presumptive list soon. Put in for that as well. Do your research on your medical file; look at the medical terms that are diagnosed; look up diagnostic codes and see if there are VA ratings for them. If you have those symptoms, put in for those as well. If you don't feel comfortable about doing it yourself, try to get a COMPETENT VSO to help you. I'm not talking about the local yocal who does it for the local VFW maybea half a dozen times a year. They are fine for a simple things, but if you aren't confident, he or she isn't going to be very helpful based on their past experience. Ask your buddies if they put in claims and who did they use, how complicated was their disability claim, and if they recommended someone. Interview them yourself before you decide. The important thing based on what I stated originally is to get your claim in quickly so you can lock in the date. Do it now.

44 minutes ago, GBArmy said:

To build on what Buck said, you didn't include a lot in your initial post, so we have to assume some things. First, assume you are either 1) going to get denied, or 2) you are going to get low-balled. If you win out, great. But you are dealing with the VA here, so if you go with the percentages, its probably going to be either one. So expect that. You already are rated at 50% (or so); they aren't going make it easy for you to increase your ratings. A lot of your conditions are heart and CAD, so that that is what you put in for. In all likelyhood, you probably have HTN hi blood pressure also. I would put in for that also. There is several comments talking about it here, and it possibly will be added to the AO presumptive list soon. Put in for that as well. Do your research on your medical file; look at the medical terms that are diagnosed; look up diagnostic codes and see if there are VA ratings for them. If you have those symptoms, put in for those as well. If you don't feel comfortable about doing it yourself, try to get a COMPETENT VSO to help you. I'm not talking about the local yocal who does it for the local VFW maybea half a dozen times a year. They are fine for a simple things, but if you aren't confident, he or she isn't going to be very helpful based on their past experience. Ask your buddies if they put in claims and who did they use, how complicated was their disability claim, and if they recommended someone. Interview them yourself before you decide. The important thing based on what I stated originally is to get your claim in quickly so you can lock in the date. Do it now.

I plan to file this week . Thank you for the helpful information !