VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

AO IHD . Do I have what I need to file ?

Rate this question

James G.

Question

I have had a recent CT scan (at the VA ) of my chest , and the report says:

"Thoracic aorta and great vessels : Atherosclerosis "

also "Heart and pericardium : Severe coronary artery calcification".

also "Patent major vasculature, with atherosclerotic disease".

And a CT scan of my head  (at the VA ), and the report says :

"There is deep and periventricular white matter hypodensity suggestive of chronic microvascular disease".

So what if anything do I file for and what other medical information do I need before I file ? Do I file now ?I appreciate any and all advice . I am 50% SC for hearing (40%) and tinnitus (10%) . I have ulcerative colitis and severe COPD and on oxygen .I am "boots on the ground ". 

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I don't not believe you need any attorney or even any vet rep.But you sure  might want a rep to help you.

Ask them if they are familiar with the Nehmer Court Order for IHD.If they say No, get a better vet rep.

You need to file (use the new forms the vet rep will have)  for AO Ischemic Heart Disease (IHD )compensation due to your exposure to Agent Orange in Vietnam

You need to get the AO IHD clarified as to Ischemia of the heart.

It should show up as that in your VA medical records-maybe as CAD. Same thing.

I hope you have copies of your medical records.

But based on what you told us, this will be confirmed as ischemic heart disease when the VA sends you to a C & P exam.

"I have had a recent CT scan (at the VA ) of my chest , and the report says:

"Thoracic aorta and great vessels : Atherosclerosis "

also "Heart and pericardium : Severe coronary artery calcification".

also "Patent major vasculature, with atherosclerotic disease".

Have you had any recent ECHO done?

what type of operation are you going to have? A bypass?

"And a CT scan of my head  (at the VA ), and the report says :"

"There is deep and periventricular white matter hypodensity suggestive of chronic microvascular disease".

This is often a precursor to transcient Ischemia of the brain ( called mini strokes)

Have they given you an MRI of the brain ?

There is MUCH more to a CT scan narrative than what I see here.Can you can and attach the Ct scan and the ECHO rrsults if you have had an ECHO?

Cover your C file # , name, prior to scanning it.

My husband had almost the same disabilities you have now.

His AO IHD was malpracticed on and never diagnosed or treated by the VA.

I had proved to the VA (FTCA) that he had IHD from, long ago via 6 years of medical records, that revealed they knew he had IHD but never diagnosed or treated him for it and it was the prime cause of his death.The contributing cause of death was his ischemia of the brain.

When I filed my claim, I had no problem with the AO IHD part of it-but  there are pendings claims on the rest of that Nehmer decision.

I mentioned the ECHO because  an ECHO my husband got after he had a major stroke,was definitive proof, along with 2 abnormal EKGs,of my husbband's misdiagnosed and untreated heart disease.The autopsy proved that too. Ischemia of the heart can cause ischemia of the brain.

He had multiple TIAs, which it appears you had one,  that VA misdiagnosed years before this turned into a totally disabling stroke, due to improper diagnosis and lack of any medical treatment.

IHD can cause clots ( due to atherosclerosis) that can pass into the brain and cause stroke.

Most IHD vets are on preventive medications like statins meds to prevent plaque from building up in the arteries, that can ultimately lead to clots.

Based on what you told us, you should be awarded for AO IHD.

The C & P exam will confirm that and it will be used for the rating.

None of the above vascular disease, in your case , happened overnight. How long has to VA been treating you?

Have you ever been denied for vascular heart disease ( CAD or IHD) by the VA in any past VA rating?

If so you will fall under Nehmer Footnote one, for a good EED.

My husband's earliest effective date for AO IHD was 6 years prior to his death.

If you did file a claim in the past for heart disease and they denied it, that is something you will need to find in your records, otherwise the date of your claim will be the Earliest effective date for any retro.

Also if you had any type of a claim decided-awarded or denied- by the VA -since you already have SC ratings,

that showed CAD or IHD as NSC on the rating decision, that too would help you fall under Footnote One Nehmer for the best possible retroactive payment.

If you do have any past rating sheet with a percentage and diagnostic code for CAD or IHD with NSC next to it, I can give you the contact info for NVLSP, and they will make sure ,when the decision is made, that it is the correct EED.

NVLP National Veteran Legal Service Program. They won Nehmer and their help to AO vets regarding the EED is free.

Nehmer is a Class Action Case.

Edited by Berta
added more

Geez I type too fast, That is NVLSP . sorry-I am not a doctor but assumed maybe you had a TIA-

why did the VA give you a CT scan of your brain?

A loss of white matter of the brain often comes with age and even chronic microvascular disease is common in many people with no disabling symptoms. With the atherosclerosis involvement to your heart, I think maybe VA gave you the CT just to make sure nothing serious was developing in your brain.

If I were you, GBArmy is correct, claim the HBP too.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes I agree claim all that IS RELATED TO YOUR HEART CONDITION!!

And any other conditions you may have that were caused by your military days Conditions such as =  ..asthma  or sleep apnea,  sleep apnea can be a secondary condition caused from any other conditions that you have service connected already,  also if you have not yet? request your complete upgraded C-File You will need that to look for medical records and notes and you maybe surprised at what you find , these Medical Records can be used as crucial evidence in all your claims. 

if your a Vietnam Veteran and was in combat  you should have a CIB on your DD 214 and any medals /unit ribbons awards of bravery  ect,,ect,, if your depressed or  just  seem alone ..if you have not yet  you may want to be screened for PTSD,  Unless you already service connected for it.?..this is just to give you a few tips when you do file &   try to file for everything  do not wait to file on other conditions  even if they are secondary conditions to a already service connected condition   filing starts your early effective date   so if your denied on some and later win they go back to when you first filed.

The A.O. is what I was thinking they may go back to your Vietnam days  or when you first started haver IHD problems   you need that S.C. under the Nehmer ruling  as Ms berta mention   ask around for a VSO that has worked Nehmer Claims.

We helped many vets here Buck, when the 2010 AO Nehmer regulations came out.

I consider myself an expert on Nehmer but many of us here should also be experts on this class action case by now.

I have asked quite a few Blue Waters to join us and helped some already, by finding their ships on the VA AO ship's list. The most recent list ( July 2019) is in the AO forum.

These ships have been exposed to AO , conceded by VA, and if a sailor served on or after the dates in the list, they too have been conceded as exposed to AO.

Also the sea co ordinates on deck logs are posted in the AO forum as well, for those vets whose ships are not on the VA list, yet their deck logs reveal they were within the 12 mile limit.

On 7/7/2019 at 10:53 AM, GBArmy said:

To build on what Buck said, you didn't include a lot in your initial post, so we have to assume some things. First, assume you are either 1) going to get denied, or 2) you are going to get low-balled. If you win out, great. But you are dealing with the VA here, so if you go with the percentages, its probably going to be either one. So expect that. You already are rated at 50% (or so); they aren't going make it easy for you to increase your ratings. A lot of your conditions are heart and CAD, so that that is what you put in for. In all likelyhood, you probably have HTN hi blood pressure also. I would put in for that also. There is several comments talking about it here, and it possibly will be added to the AO presumptive list soon. Put in for that as well. Do your research on your medical file; look at the medical terms that are diagnosed; look up diagnostic codes and see if there are VA ratings for them. If you have those symptoms, put in for those as well. If you don't feel comfortable about doing it yourself, try to get a COMPETENT VSO to help you. I'm not talking about the local yocal who does it for the local VFW maybea half a dozen times a year. They are fine for a simple things, but if you aren't confident, he or she isn't going to be very helpful based on their past experience. Ask your buddies if they put in claims and who did they use, how complicated was their disability claim, and if they recommended someone. Interview them yourself before you decide. The important thing based on what I stated originally is to get your claim in quickly so you can lock in the date. Do it now.

Thank You