VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA's Updates July 2019 AO Ships list

Rate this question

Berta

Question

Yow-they said it would not take too long, just the other day  and they were right- I was googling a BWN veteran's  ship for him, that was apparently not on the older list and it popped right up in the New List!  Good thing I checked it out He has an AO presumptive.

[DOC]

U.S. Navy and Coast Guard ships that operated in Vietnam

https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/docs/shiplist.docx

• HadIt.com Elder

My understanding is if the ship's log shows the coordinates and it went into the Vietnam waters, the sailors would get the A.O. coverage. The question is how can we access what is in the ships log? Is it available on line someplace. I would expect that once the ships location in those waters are confirmed by the log entry, then you notify the VA to confirm and add it to the ships list. I know someone who was on a ship and he is sure they were close but it isn't on the list. So how do we access a ship's log?

If they fall into the date range (meaning they served onboard on or after the date in the Ships list, they have been exposed to AO.

Deck  logs should  be in a veteran’s 201 file or can be acquired here:

https://www.archives.gov/research/military/logbooks/navy-online

Many Navy unit web sites have deck logs available to the public.

What ship was he on?

Here is a Sample Deck log-the sea co-orinates are at the topImage result for navy deck log example

• HadIt.com Elder

I'll have to check with him again on the name. I know a lot of ships associations have their ship's log on their web sites, but I remember searching and his didn't have a site. But that site you identified is a great resouce; thanks again Berta. 

• Founder

shiplist.pdfshiplist.doc 

On 7/6/2019 at 3:22 PM, Berta said:

Yow-they said it would not take too long, just the other day  and they were right- I was googling a BWN veteran's  ship for him, that was apparently not on the older list and it popped right up in the New List!  Good thing I checked it out He has an AO presumptive.

[DOC]

U.S. Navy and Coast Guard ships that operated in Vietnam

https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/docs/shiplist.docx

Berta and everyone

i added a Alphabetical list of ships to this document hope it helps 

shiplist.docx

That is a Tremendous help Tbird!

About 2 months ago I asked many Blue Waters and some BWN widows to join us here.I think they- like all of us, are waiting for the regulations to be posted.

NVLSP says to file the claim NOW!

That is, if the veteran (or their survivor) fits into the HR 299 12 mile limit, via their deck logs, and if they have one or more AO presumptives.

And if they have been denied in the past ,( for no boots on ground)and had claimed  an AO presumptive, their EED should  kick in under Footnote One Nehmer.

They should send a copy of the past denial, refer to it in the claim, and ask that Nehmer Footnote One be applied to the EED.

Widows and even adult children, if there is no surviving spouse, might well be eligible under Footnote one for past AO disability benefits, that were due the veteran.Survivors would be eligible for accrued under Nehmer, regardless of whether they ever filed a timely  accrued claim before.

That all rests on Nehmer, and per my contact at NVLSP, Footnote One still stands. If it doesn't us BWN advocates will raise Cain!

Edited by Berta