VA's Updates July 2019 AO Ships list

Berta

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Yow-they said it would not take too long, just the other day  and they were right- I was googling a BWN veteran's  ship for him, that was apparently not on the older list and it popped right up in the New List!  Good thing I checked it out He has an AO presumptive.

[DOC]

U.S. Navy and Coast Guard ships that operated in Vietnam

https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/docs/shiplist.docx

• Like 1

My understanding is if the ship's log shows the coordinates and it went into the Vietnam waters, the sailors would get the A.O. coverage. The question is how can we access what is in the ships log? Is it available on line someplace. I would expect that once the ships location in those waters are confirmed by the log entry, then you notify the VA to confirm and add it to the ships list. I know someone who was on a ship and he is sure they were close but it isn't on the list. So how do we access a ship's log?

• HadIt.com Elder

If they fall into the date range (meaning they served onboard on or after the date in the Ships list, they have been exposed to AO.

Deck  logs should  be in a veteran’s 201 file or can be acquired here:

https://www.archives.gov/research/military/logbooks/navy-online

Many Navy unit web sites have deck logs available to the public.

What ship was he on?

• HadIt.com Elder

Here is a Sample Deck log-the sea co-orinates are at the topImage result for navy deck log example

I'll have to check with him again on the name. I know a lot of ships associations have their ship's log on their web sites, but I remember searching and his didn't have a site. But that site you identified is a great resouce; thanks again Berta.