VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA's Updates July 2019 AO Ships list

Rate this question

Berta

Question

Yow-they said it would not take too long, just the other day  and they were right- I was googling a BWN veteran's  ship for him, that was apparently not on the older list and it popped right up in the New List!  Good thing I checked it out He has an AO presumptive.

[DOC]

U.S. Navy and Coast Guard ships that operated in Vietnam

https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/docs/shiplist.docx

I am sure you went over the Ship's lists above very carefully, as I did, and I do not see USS Mount Katmai on the list-

but that does not mean it shoudn;t be on the list-

The most famous AO case of all re: Blue Water is the Haas Case :

". In 2001, Blue Water Navy Vietnam veteran Jonathan Haas first sought a presumptive service connection from his VA regional office for type II diabetes. Haas had served on the ammunition ship USS Mount Katmai off the coast of Vietnam during August 1967–April 1969. He had never gone ashore, and his ship had never gone into port in Vietnam, but he claimed that the Mount Katmai had sailed as close as 100 ft from the Vietnamese coast and had been “engulfed by an Agent Orange cloud” and thus argued that he had been exposed (Haas v. Peake. 2008. Jonathan L. Haas, Claimant-Appellee v. James B. Peake, Secretary of Veterans Affairs, Respondent-Appellant. 2007-7037. US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.). When his claim was denied, he appealed the regional office decision to the Board of Veterans’ Appeals, where it was again denied in 2004."

I need to find what book that quote re: the 100 ft of shore is---- you could use it  as a buddy statement!!!

Source :https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK209598/

(I am a member of the original Blue Water Navy Vietnam Veterans Association- (John Rossie- HR 299 and 

I dont know is  Commander Jonathan Haas is still alive, but will try to get more info. His cases were prepared meticulously and as far as I know the VA did accept the fact he stated- that the USS Mount Katmai was right off the shore of Vietnam.

You sure might want to check the Reunion roster here at you ship'd web site...

http://www.hullnumber.com/reunion_info.php?cm=AE-16

The site might reveal buddys  you might know as well as others trying to get service connected for AO due to HR 299.

also I have some other info  on your ship , that might help you and will post it here later.......

I bet everyone here recalls what Haas went through with the VA.

Not only  Commander Haas or his survivors but also a BVA denial I just read for a sailor on the USS Mount Katmai, claiming AO disability-some years ago, both would have potential of AO retro under HR 299!!!

That is why Nehmer and Footnote one are so important  and explained in this AO forum .

Richard, do you have your inservice deck logs  from the USS Mount Katmai?????

Edited by Berta
in cloud...double posts...

One other question- the fact that this ship should be on the AO list, and the fact that Commander Haas,in every VA case he had, stated the ship was as close as 100 feet from Vietnam's shore, has opened a can of worms for me- not you- Good worms, however, and since the VA has never questioned his statements as to how close the ship was ( they surely had the Deck Logs),I feel you would be able to make an excellent case that you served within the 12 mile limit, to include your deck logs as proof as well as Commander Haas's statements, specifically noted in each claim he made to include 

Jonathan L. HAAS, Claimant-Appellee,

v.

James B. PEAKE, M.D., Secretary of Veterans Affairs, Respondent-Appellant.

No. 2007-7037.

United States Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit.

May 8, 2008.

But my question is this- what AO presumptive disability (ies) do you have?

And another question...did the VA in the past, ever deny you for a AO claim you made, because you did have an AO presumptive ,yet you had "no boots on ground" Vietnam?

If so do you have a copy of that rating sheet and decision? That is what Footnote One is all about and why many Vietnam Vets and their survivors, like me, succeeded in getting a great EED (Earliest Effective Date) for the retroactive AO payments they made under Nehmer 2010.

You will need your deck logs , prove of your current AO disability, prove of any past AO disability that was denied due to No boots on ground, and a copy of your C file, if you do not have those denials available anymore.

I corresponded  with Ed Ball, this AM

Ed Ball, RMC(SW), USN, Ret., Shelby Co., OH CVSO Ret.Military Veterans Advocacy Inc., Director of Research Blue Water Navy Assoc., Board Member 

as to this web site:

https://www.bwnvva.org/how-blue-water-navy-ships-were-exposed-to-agent-orange.html

and to this statement there-

about 3/4 down the page under the Deck Log samples:

"iv. USS Mount Katmai AE-16 25Jul65 0800 09 56.1N 107 13.2E 56.12nm inside baseline 0915 USS Falgout DER-324 alongside stbd 1200 09 59.2N 107 36.2E 44.96nm inside baseline 2000 10 43.7N 109 10E 1.49nm inside baseline"

I don't do Facebook so cannot open the deck logs he has put at that site but perhaps ,if you are a Facebook member, your deck logs might be there.

He also has much info on AO there as well re: Blue Water Navy and is with the Vet group, Military Veterans Advocacy,Inc.  who helped considerably to win the important  Procipio AO case.
That case Procipio, also how to get deck logs, also how to get a copy of your C file is all available here under a search.
Ed and I briefly discussed Haas and if he or his immediate survivors file a claim, they owe him or them some Mega retro.

2 hours ago, Berta said:

I corresponded  with Ed Ball, this AM

Ed Ball, RMC(SW), USN, Ret., Shelby Co., OH CVSO Ret.Military Veterans Advocacy Inc., Director of Research Blue Water Navy Assoc., Board Member 

as to this web site:

https://www.bwnvva.org/how-blue-water-navy-ships-were-exposed-to-agent-orange.html

and to this statement there-

about 3/4 down the page under the Deck Log samples:

"iv. USS Mount Katmai AE-16 25Jul65 0800 09 56.1N 107 13.2E 56.12nm inside baseline 0915 USS Falgout DER-324 alongside stbd 1200 09 59.2N 107 36.2E 44.96nm inside baseline 2000 10 43.7N 109 10E 1.49nm inside baseline"

I don't do Facebook so cannot open the deck logs he has put at that site but perhaps ,if you are a Facebook member, your deck logs might be there.

He also has much info on AO there as well re: Blue Water Navy and is with the Vet group, Military Veterans Advocacy,Inc.  who helped considerably to win the important  Procipio AO case.
That case Procipio, also how to get deck logs, also how to get a copy of your C file is all available here under a search.
Ed and I briefly discussed Haas and if he or his immediate survivors file a claim, they owe him or them some Mega retro.

In 2010 I came down with Prostate Cancer and had my Prostate removed. I filed for va disability and was denied due to being a blue water sailor. Since filing in 2010 I have had problems associated with my Prostate removal. I put in Supplemental claims that were denied. Right now I have an appeal before the Board of Veterans. I received a letter from VA that was on 10% rating for tinnitus that moved me up to priority group three that also stated Determined to be a Vietnam-era herbicide-exposed Veteran which I sent into the Board of Appeals. I think I found in the USS Mount Katmai deck logs on January 10 and February 13 1970 that our ship was less 12 nautical miles off coast of Vietnam. I guess now it is a waiting game with the VA. I really do not see how they can deny my claim now. WHAt is your opinion? Thanks for your help