VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The VA’s “Whole Health” Program

Rate this question

Grumpbox

Question

Hello again all:

Its been a minute or so since I posted/replied to much here.  

I hope that those who helped me in the past are well and doing the best they can.  In addition, I was lost where to ask this question.  I scoured the ‘search’ engine resulting in zero, so if I’ve irked any of the administrators, please let me know and I will initiate and complete my own DA FORM 4856 (General Counseling Form).

Subject: The VA WHOLE HEALTH PROGRAM

This program was recently suggested to me, yet I don’t know anything about it or it’s results, good or bad. I’ve done research online and from what I gather, it combines a holistic approach, whereby the VA takes into consideration one’s body, mind, spirit, community and other things.  

All I was looking for was some alternative forms of help with my injuries and pain levels. More specifically, I was asking about Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Injection Therapy. I’m due another surgery on my knee and possibly my second one on my right shoulder, which would give me a total of six surgeries.  And these are just the muscular-skeleton injuries I have.  

My worries about this program?

i just hope I’m not assigned someone and they talk to me about breathing, diet, sleep, ‘mindfulness.’  I’ve been there and looking for a little more results.  

Would really love love it if someone that was in the program chime in, but I’ll take any input at this point. 

As always - thank you for any time in reply!!

Grumpbox

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
2 minutes ago, GeekySquid said:

totally get it  and agree.

It is one of the reasons I am of two minds about this push towards Community Choice.

If a vet is stable in their condition and just need routine follow ups and general care like vaccines, I am all good with going to a Private Doc. It is the veterans who have more severe issues that need serious and specialized care that the VAMC's have expertise in that I don't want to see diminished. Particularly for rural veterans with few medical provider options.

Taking a day off just for a routine exam is absurd and of course you lose those wages, or at least many do.

That makes sense. I am getting cardio therapy through community care. It's a couple of miles from my house and before work, so it works out well.

However, I wish we veterans could get the equivalent of CHAMPVA-type care. Just go to the doc of your choice, show your card, and get treatment. We have health insurance through work, so there typically is no extra cost unless the doc wants to do something off the menu. If a veteran wants to get their care at the VA, no reason to stop them. My gripe with getting care at the VAMC is that half the time I get some noob doc who is not thorough or experienced and everything takes forever. I had an infection recently by the VA, they gave me some antibiotics, but it didn't go away. I went to a non-VA doc, they did labs and imaging, had the results an hour later, and gave me a combo of antibiotics and other meds that got rid of it. I had to pay the co-pays out of my pocket, but it was worth it to not feel miserable.

1 hour ago, Vync said:

Correct! My doc recommended I join their MOVE or Tai-chi programs. I asked if they can do it via telehealth, but no, they require you to drive to the VAMC downtown regularly for that. Kind of tough when you have a full-time job.

I can highly recommend TaiChi.  I was having problems walking thirteen years ago.  I have been doing TaiChi for those thirteen years and even with serious neuropathy I can walk better than I could when I started.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
23 hours ago, vetquest said:

I can highly recommend TaiChi.  I was having problems walking thirteen years ago.  I have been doing TaiChi for those thirteen years and even with serious neuropathy I can walk better than I could when I started.

I might have to give that a try. I bet it is tricky while using a cane to remain standing...

51 minutes ago, Vync said:

I bet it is tricky while using a cane to remain standing...

We have a lady that uses a cane that comes to our joint mobility class. She does as much as she can, which is a lot better than nothing. I have read articles about people in nursing homes that were using walkers and canes. They started some weight/resistance training and within a few months were able to walk out on their own. I don’t think it is ever too late. It is just getting over the hump.

• HadIt.com Elder

For those who have mobility problems or balance issues, there really are physical exercise programs that can help and will fit your problems. For example, you might be able to find a a Tai Chi class or yoga that you just sit in a chair, no kidding. Even in small town the senior center or Y have all kinds of programs at all levels. And if they don't have anything that is what you need, more than likely they will know where there is something. Maybe it won't work for you, but I guarantee you'll never find out if you don't try.

8 hours ago, GBArmy said:

yoga that you just sit in a chair, no kidding

GB,  not putting down people or programs like that, but when the VAMC New Orleans offered me a yoga program I decided to try it. It amounted to sitting in a chair clapping your hands and thighs.

I completely understand different people have differently needs and I support that, but that type type of program has a narrow base and at least at that time, there were no other "exercise" options available through the VA.

The older we get, and that means me too, the more we need to move, practice flexibility, and even do nominal strength training as appropriate. For me however the chair sitting was a useless waste of time.

I feel we veterans are entitled to serious options along the spectrum of exercise methods. The VA just doesn't invest that much in preventative care.