VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The VA’s “Whole Health” Program

Rate this question

Grumpbox

Question

Hello again all:

Its been a minute or so since I posted/replied to much here.  

I hope that those who helped me in the past are well and doing the best they can.  In addition, I was lost where to ask this question.  I scoured the ‘search’ engine resulting in zero, so if I’ve irked any of the administrators, please let me know and I will initiate and complete my own DA FORM 4856 (General Counseling Form).

Subject: The VA WHOLE HEALTH PROGRAM

This program was recently suggested to me, yet I don’t know anything about it or it’s results, good or bad. I’ve done research online and from what I gather, it combines a holistic approach, whereby the VA takes into consideration one’s body, mind, spirit, community and other things.  

All I was looking for was some alternative forms of help with my injuries and pain levels. More specifically, I was asking about Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Injection Therapy. I’m due another surgery on my knee and possibly my second one on my right shoulder, which would give me a total of six surgeries.  And these are just the muscular-skeleton injuries I have.  

My worries about this program?

i just hope I’m not assigned someone and they talk to me about breathing, diet, sleep, ‘mindfulness.’  I’ve been there and looking for a little more results.  

Would really love love it if someone that was in the program chime in, but I’ll take any input at this point. 

As always - thank you for any time in reply!!

Grumpbox

Grumpbox, I am not familiar with the whole health plan but when I was seeking help with my disability and the VA asked me to spend two weeks in the psych ward.  I did not want to but I did anyway.  This two weeks opened up some medical treatment that I was being denied.  I gain from it immensely.  Sometimes you need to play along with the VA to get what you need in the long run.

@vetquest

when you say how it, “opened up some medical treatment that I was denied.”  Were you 100% P&T at the time???

i don’t mind ‘playing’ along with the recommendations from the VA, I just get impatient sometimes hope (that’s all - hope) that it’s not another rosy-colored glasses for the public to see...

@Grumpbox, I was 50% SC at the time and they were denying me medical care for migraines and a severe heat intolerance.  I got treatment for both following the two weeks in psych.  Including repayment for some pretty expensive durable medical equipment.

Edited by vetquest

6 hours ago, Grumpbox said:

The VA WHOLE HEALTH PROGRAM

Frankly I have never heard of this program. In fact my new PCP literally stated 3 weeks ago that "the VA just does not spend a lot of money on preventative care" which by definition would be part of a whole health program.

Considering what I learned about the "MOVE" program, the "YOGA" program, and "smoking cessation" program I would share your concerns about it being some unrealistic 'tell me how you feel, buttercup" program.

I will look into it, and if you find out more please share.

@GeekySquid

Check the VA website...just use “VA Whole Health” in a search on google or other search engine...

you can see my concerns about this program...it just looks colored pretty.  I’m not a doctor, but I really don’t see any options for alternative or advanced care/techniques for multiple injuries.  

I’ll keep everyone up to date, however!!

Thanks!

GB

5 hours ago, Grumpbox said:

you can see my concerns about this program

Yeah grumpbox, I looked yesterday.

nothing much new there.

some stuff just annoys the crap out of me.

Take the propensity for older veterans towards being obese by VA standards. Obesity contributes to heart attacks, strokes, muscle and skeletal issues, respiratory issues, and even some studies show that it affects senile dementia. 

Yet the VA & Congress will not authorize a Program like Silver Sneakers to allow veterans access to gyms in their neighborhoods. It is one thing to travel to a VAMC once a week or once a month for physical therapy.

Having a gym nearby and using tele-medicine attached to a fit-bit device would ensure use of the membership and compliance with an exercise program. Gyms are expensive. Up here I see most at 80-100 a month with some as high as 250 a month. Some disabled older vets just cannot afford that extra expense each month.

If private insurance can offer Silver Sneakers programs it amazes me the VA won't do the same.