VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The VA’s “Whole Health” Program

Rate this question

Grumpbox

Question

Hello again all:

Its been a minute or so since I posted/replied to much here.  

I hope that those who helped me in the past are well and doing the best they can.  In addition, I was lost where to ask this question.  I scoured the ‘search’ engine resulting in zero, so if I’ve irked any of the administrators, please let me know and I will initiate and complete my own DA FORM 4856 (General Counseling Form).

Subject: The VA WHOLE HEALTH PROGRAM

This program was recently suggested to me, yet I don’t know anything about it or it’s results, good or bad. I’ve done research online and from what I gather, it combines a holistic approach, whereby the VA takes into consideration one’s body, mind, spirit, community and other things.  

All I was looking for was some alternative forms of help with my injuries and pain levels. More specifically, I was asking about Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Injection Therapy. I’m due another surgery on my knee and possibly my second one on my right shoulder, which would give me a total of six surgeries.  And these are just the muscular-skeleton injuries I have.  

My worries about this program?

i just hope I’m not assigned someone and they talk to me about breathing, diet, sleep, ‘mindfulness.’  I’ve been there and looking for a little more results.  

Would really love love it if someone that was in the program chime in, but I’ll take any input at this point. 

As always - thank you for any time in reply!!

Grumpbox

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
4 hours ago, GeekySquid said:

Yet the VA & Congress will not authorize a Program like Silver Sneakers to allow veterans access to gyms in their neighborhoods. It is one thing to travel to a VAMC once a week or once a month for physical therapy.

Having a gym nearby and using tele-medicine attached to a fit-bit device would ensure use of the membership and compliance with an exercise program. Gyms are expensive. Up here I see most at 80-100 a month with some as high as 250 a month. Some disabled older vets just cannot afford that extra expense each month.

If private insurance can offer Silver Sneakers programs it amazes me the VA won't do the same.

You make a good point here. 

After my heart attack in April, the VA sent me to three months of cardio rehab via community care because they simply did not have the ability to do it at the VAMC. It's like doing low impact cardio while wearing a portable EKG. I only have a few weeks left and made the decision to join the YMCA for about $100/month (family plan). Unfortunately, I'm not 65 yet and am not eligible for Silver Sneakers.

4 minutes ago, Vync said:

only have a few weeks left and made the decision to join the YMCA for about $100/month (family plan).

that stuff just galls me no end.

The absolute foolish VA waste is absurd when real programs that affect real veterans problems WITHOUT DRUGS get ignored.

When I got the Lis Franc Fracture of my foot, the VA handed me a $600 wheel chair, a set of crutches and one of those kneeling scooters. While I appreciate it, they don't want the chair back!!!!! I could have gotten by with just the crutches or the kneeling scooter, but no they just shoved them at me and said "HERE YOU GO".

I have donated the chair to Paralyzed vets and the other stuff will go to them when I am finally healed.

Anyone with a heart condition, who is obese, has movement issues, respiratory issues, etc should have daily access to a gym membership. It can save our lives.

And while I know some would complain about usage of the gym being monitored I am all for it. keep track of activity and use by Fit-Bit and Tele-health. Track our goals. Etc. Keep our PCP in the loop, etc.

I also don't see why obese vets can get gastric bypass surgery but not Laser Lipo or Cool Sculpting and a gym membership to keep the weight off. both of those plans are much faster than G.B. and without all the physical problems some people have with G.B.

sorry about the rant it is just a pet peeve of mine.

20 hours ago, GeekySquid said:

"the VA just does not spend a lot of money on preventative care"

I thought the VA was doing a lot of preventative care with your PCP checkups. Almost every time some little something doesn't look quite right the VA sends me to get it checked out. They don't seem to pay much attention to my main problems though, depression caused by chronic pain.

I am not sure I agree with the gym membership. It seems lots of people buy all sorts of home exercise equipment that just becomes a place to hang clothes from. I think walking has been suggested as one of the best exercises. I don't think that requires a gym membership. JMO

2 minutes ago, kanewnut said:

I am not sure I agree with the gym membership

you are absolutely entitled to your opinion.

3 minutes ago, kanewnut said:

I thought the VA was doing a lot of preventative care with your PCP checkups.

your definition of preventative care is significantly different than mine.

3 minutes ago, kanewnut said:

depression caused by chronic pain.

depression and a great many types of chronic pain from various sources can benefit from exercise.

4 minutes ago, kanewnut said:

t seems lots of people buy all sorts of home exercise equipment that just becomes a place to hang clothes from.

true and that is the reason I am also a proponent of monitoring usage of the membership and using tele-medicine attached to a Fit-Bit.

5 minutes ago, kanewnut said:

walking has been suggested as one of the best exercises.

walking is a good exercise. However, not everyone lives in a place where it is safe to walk. Further one of the main problems with starting exercise is the initial motivation, not the will power but the won't power.

I for one won't walk on my streets because of the insane drivers, lack of sidewalks and lack of lighting.

I for one won't use home exercise equipment.

I for one won't talk myself out of sitting on my butt if I don't have to go to a regimented system to exercise.

The power of won't beats out will power every day.

Not everyone is like that and good for them.

But despite needing glasses I can see, and what I see is veterans over the age of 40 generally looking like their won't power behaves like mine does.

If such a plan was offered, you would not have to take advantage of it, which would be good for you. I on the other hand would save the Hundred bucks a month I spend on a gym membership that I do use when not in that damn wheelchair that I just got rid of. Even though I am not yet allowed to walk or run, I still do strength training and use resistance bands to keep my legs exercised.

The data from the insurance agencies on those that use their Silver Slipper plans show decreases in age related problems, heart attacks, high blood pressure, arthritis, and skeletal issues.

While I hundred percent support your right to your opinion and choice, I trust the data.

The plans work, reduce costs and provide positive health outcomes for those that use them.

22 minutes ago, GeekySquid said:

your definition of preventative care is significantly different than mine.

Please elaborate. I want to find out if I am missing out on something.

24 minutes ago, GeekySquid said:

I still do strength training and use resistance bands to keep my legs exercised.

That is excellent. 

I am lucky that I can walk near my house at almost any time and not see a single vehicle. We have a local park with a mile track that people can walk on. That is what a lot of people do that can't walk near home. I already have a gym membership paid for out of pocket. Fortunately it is only $25 a month. I use the Nautilus machines and do a twice weekly joint mobility class. 

4 minutes ago, kanewnut said:

Please elaborate. I want to find out if I am missing out on something.

your previous post said you considered the VA running tests for minor stuff was them doing preventative care.

However that is not even the minimum. Preventative care is the whole gamut of things from nutrition and making sure the individual does not have food security issues, to actual managed exercise not the B.S. the MOVE program does or the "yoga" program that amounted to sitting in a chair clapping your hands and cracking your knuckles.

Mental health programs run by real Dr's instead of MSW's just out of college.

Not every vet needs the same things, but comprehensive care and preventative care delve into all aspects of the persons life to find areas that need work or assistance.

10 minutes ago, kanewnut said:

I am lucky that I can walk near my house at almost any time and not see a single vehicle. We have a local park with a mile track that people can walk on. That is what a lot of people do that can't walk near home. I already have a gym membership paid for out of pocket. Fortunately it is only $25 a month. I use the Nautilus machines and do a twice weekly joint mobility class.

those are all wonderful things for you and I am glad you are that fortunate.

Not every Veteran has those luxuries or opportunities. Your profile says NC and Ft Bragg is a big area but not like say NYC or Houston. It is not expensive like LA, NYC or even Miami or Austin.

I have other income, I can afford stuff and I have private medical care on top of the VA. That is not my focus.

Programs like Silver Sneakers are affordable and effective programs documented by insurance companies to have positive outcomes for those that use them. I feel, and this is just my opinion, that Veterans deserve that type of effective program to be made available if they want to use it.

I believe in monitoring the veterans usage of the gym and other type programs. I believe in Tele-medicine.  I would love to be able to connect via tele-medicine to a Dr in middle of the night or when I need to Instead of having to make an appointment or go to the ER.

The VA is a giant and it is hard to get effective change across the enterprise.