VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The VA’s “Whole Health” Program

Rate this question

Grumpbox

Question

Hello again all:

Its been a minute or so since I posted/replied to much here.  

I hope that those who helped me in the past are well and doing the best they can.  In addition, I was lost where to ask this question.  I scoured the ‘search’ engine resulting in zero, so if I’ve irked any of the administrators, please let me know and I will initiate and complete my own DA FORM 4856 (General Counseling Form).

Subject: The VA WHOLE HEALTH PROGRAM

This program was recently suggested to me, yet I don’t know anything about it or it’s results, good or bad. I’ve done research online and from what I gather, it combines a holistic approach, whereby the VA takes into consideration one’s body, mind, spirit, community and other things.  

All I was looking for was some alternative forms of help with my injuries and pain levels. More specifically, I was asking about Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Injection Therapy. I’m due another surgery on my knee and possibly my second one on my right shoulder, which would give me a total of six surgeries.  And these are just the muscular-skeleton injuries I have.  

My worries about this program?

i just hope I’m not assigned someone and they talk to me about breathing, diet, sleep, ‘mindfulness.’  I’ve been there and looking for a little more results.  

Would really love love it if someone that was in the program chime in, but I’ll take any input at this point. 

As always - thank you for any time in reply!!

Grumpbox

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
18 hours ago, GeekySquid said:

Anyone with a heart condition, who is obese, has movement issues, respiratory issues, etc should have daily access to a gym membership. It can save our lives.

And while I know some would complain about usage of the gym being monitored I am all for it. keep track of activity and use by Fit-Bit and Tele-health. Track our goals. Etc. Keep our PCP in the loop, etc.

I also don't see why obese vets can get gastric bypass surgery but not Laser Lipo or Cool Sculpting and a gym membership to keep the weight off. both of those plans are much faster than G.B. and without all the physical problems some people have with G.B.

Yep, completely agree.

I do have sidewalks in my neighborhood, but after the heart attack it is just way too hot and unsafe. I would love to have exercise equipment in my house, but I downgraded a few years back to a tiny garden home (think of an apartment with a garage, but detached from other buildings). Just don't have the room for any of it.

It sounds similar to the way the VA handles Voc Rehab and ILP. VocRehab is there to help you prepare for employment. But what if SC disabilities make it notoriously difficult to remain employed? That's where ILP comes in, to help you overcome them. However, you can only go ILP if you cannot work. If the VA were able to leverage aspects of the ILP, they might be able to save some veterans from losing their job in the first place. Seems backwards...

15 hours ago, GeekySquid said:

Preventative care is the whole gamut of things from nutrition and making sure the individual does not have food security issues, to actual managed exercise not the B.S. the MOVE program does or the "yoga" program that amounted to sitting in a chair clapping your hands and cracking your knuckles.

Correct! My doc recommended I join their MOVE or Tai-chi programs. I asked if they can do it via telehealth, but no, they require you to drive to the VAMC downtown regularly for that. Kind of tough when you have a full-time job.

4 minutes ago, GeekySquid said:

absolutely.. .or if you have mobility issues, lack of public transit, etc etc etc... it is frustrating.

I live about 20 miles from the VAMC, but it takes an hour or more to drive each way. Mobility issues are definitely a factor. The VA provides a parking deck about a mile from the facility. They run shuttle buses back and forth, but the route they take is bumpy as hell. Not good for patients dealing with spine pain and radiculopathy or when you have chronic asthma and a smoker sits next to you. If I am lucky, I get parking at the university parking deck across the street so I don't have to deal with that.

To make things worse, getting back to work and making up for lost productivity is a challenge too. I typically have to take a half a day off just to visit the doctor. Never really have any quality vacation time saved up either.

1 minute ago, Vync said:

typically have to take a half a day off just to visit the doctor.

totally get it  and agree.

It is one of the reasons I am of two minds about this push towards Community Choice.

If a vet is stable in their condition and just need routine follow ups and general care like vaccines, I am all good with going to a Private Doc. It is the veterans who have more severe issues that need serious and specialized care that the VAMC's have expertise in that I don't want to see diminished. Particularly for rural veterans with few medical provider options.

Taking a day off just for a routine exam is absurd and of course you lose those wages, or at least many do.