VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Do I have to quit my job?

Rate this question

Splinter

Question

Hello everyone. See Below for what I received from VA

A little about me currently. I have a job that is very low stress (work nights no people no stress) very secure because I work in a mountain so im surrounded by granite. I work on computers so it engages my mind and keeps me as active as possible and is my passion. So my question is do I have to quit my job? Thanks!

June 23, 1999 June 30, 2019

VA Benefit InformationSummary of benefit informationYou have one or more service-connected disabilities:Yes         Your combined service-connected evaluation is:100%               You are considered to be totally and permanently disabled due solely to your service-connected disabilities:Yes           The effective date of when you became totally and permanently disabled due to your service-connected disabilities:July 01, 2019

major depression disorder, recurrent, severe, post traumatic stress disorder, insomnia disorder and eating disorder, NOS                    100%                          Service Connected

SMC-S1

Entitled to special monthly compensation under 38 U.S.C. 1114, subsection (s) and 38 CFR 3.350(i) on account of major depression disorder, recurrent, severe, post traumatic stress disorder, insomnia disorder and eating disorder, NOS rated 100 percent and additional service-connected disabilities of migraine including migraine variants, tinnitus, independently ratable at 60 percent or more from 07/01/2019.

SMC-K1

Entitled to special monthly compensation under 38 U.S.C. 1114, subsection (s) and 38 CFR 3.350(i) on account of major depression disorder, recurrent, severe, post traumatic stress disorder, insomnia disorder and eating disorder, NOS rated 100 percent and additional service-connected disabilities of migraine including migraine variants, tinnitus, independently ratable at 60 percent or more from 07/01/2019.

Thanks all!

12 minutes ago, Splinter said:

For the record I have not received my packet of information from the VA yet.

I suggest you go to Ebenefits and generate your Letters.

In particular look to see if there is a Commissary letter. Those only appear when a rating of 100%, schedular or TDIU is reached.

In that letter if you have a review date for your rating, meaning you are not P&T, that date will be the same your Commissary ID needs to be expires.

This letter generates the fastest as it does not include any monetary calculations.

In your other letters if you are TDIU or "unemployable" there will be wording to that effect.

these take more time to generate as money is being authorized and calculated and that stuff needs signatures over the immediate Raters chain of command.

While there also look at the Disabilities link. Since Feb 19, 2019, that display seems to update much faster than it did in the past under Legacy and or RAMP processes.

Some people will tell you to just wait and not excessively check Ebennies. I am more of the OCD type and I allow myself to check once in the morning and once in the evening. You decide for yourself what works for you.

Good luck and please do let us know your outcomes.

18 minutes ago, GeekySquid said:

I suggest you go to Ebenefits and generate your Letters.

In particular look to see if there is a Commissary letter. Those only appear when a rating of 100%, schedular or TDIU is reached.

In that letter if you have a review date for your rating, meaning you are not P&T, that date will be the same your Commissary ID needs to be expires.

This letter generates the fastest as it does not include any monetary calculations.

In your other letters if you are TDIU or "unemployable" there will be wording to that effect.

these take more time to generate as money is being authorized and calculated and that stuff needs signatures over the immediate Raters chain of command.

While there also look at the Disabilities link. Since Feb 19, 2019, that display seems to update much faster than it did in the past under Legacy and or RAMP processes.

Some people will tell you to just wait and not excessively check Ebennies. I am more of the OCD type and I allow myself to check once in the morning and once in the evening. You decide for yourself what works for you.

Good luck and please do let us know your outcomes.

Thanks! I do have the commissary letter and it says no further examinations As a matter of fact here is the exact verbiage from my commissary letter..

"We are providing you with this letter so you may receive commissary store and exchange privileges from the ArmedForces. This is to certify *********  is an honorably discharged veteran of the Marine Corps and is entitled to disability compensation at the 100 percent rate due to service-connected disability(ies).

This total disability is considered permanent. You are not scheduled for future examinations."

As mentioned before there is no wording anywhere that says IU or unemployable. I was told on my award letter that the VA sends hard copy in the mail has alot more detail and will mention unemployable if that is the case.

As for my disabilities they are attached

ratings.xlsx

Edited by Splinter
Editing excel to only show ratings

8 minutes ago, Splinter said:

As for my disabilities they are attached

Dude you are golden!

Work as long as you want and can. I checked your ratings and frankly you are set up for the day if and when you need A&A as well as a future with (l) or (m) if needed. not now but in the future.

As an old old old computer geek, I will say that I do suggest that for your future, consider gaining training in data and or web dev/programming if you don't have it. If you do keep those skills current.

Not that you want to quit your job, but the reality is your rated conditions are not going to get "better" and the older you get the more problematic they might become in terms of mobility and working for someone else at a location. It might not seem like it now, but trust an old Navy Chief, it will get tougher.

If you develop and maintain those skills in web dev and data you will set yourself up to work remotely as an employee or as a contractor or even developing stuff for yourself. Data and web are here to stay and you have 20 years or more that you can work. Don't make the mistake of waiting too long to jump on that train if it interests you in any way.

The VA just started a new tech path that the only requirement is having 1 day left of your GI bill and it does not count against your GI bill if I remember correctly. It includes all sorts of certs, boot camps, and testing. Contact Voc Rehab if you are interested in that possible training.

The VA has also authorized several national boot camps, on line and in person, for tech over and above that program.

Congrats and we look forward to hearing that you got your BBE

• HadIt.com Elder

I must say this is the first time I ever seen a Veteran with this many service connected conditions with 40  WOW...  although 10 were service connected at 0% but getting service connected is one of the most hardest things to do with the VA.

I did notice with all these s.c. conditions  not once did they mention a TBI? That is unusual with all your conditions listed,  if you had been service connected with a TBI  you more than likely could get around 8.000.00  tax free compensation monthly   plus any SSDI Benefits you may have...you would not need to work at all then..but I understand your job is basically what gets you through life   and nothing wrong with that.

I salute you SPLINTER  you give hope for a lot of our younger veterans starting out with their claims.

Hang in there buddy.

34 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

I must say this is the first time I ever seen a Veteran with this many service connected conditions with 40  WOW...  although 10 were service connected at 0% but getting service connected is one of the most hardest things to do with the VA.

I did notice with all these s.c. conditions  not once did they mention a TBI? That is unusual with all your conditions listed,  if you had been service connected with a TBI  you more than likely could get around 8.000.00  tax free compensation monthly   plus any SSDI Benefits you may have...you would not need to work at all then..but I understand your job is basically what gets you through life   and nothing wrong with that.

I salute you SPLINTER  you give hope for a lot of our younger veterans starting out with their claims.

Hang in there buddy.

I truly appreciate it and yea the job is basically my lifeline to the real world. Its not the money that keeps me grounded its the knowing I have to get up, I have to be somewhere, people are counting on me. I do not have a TBI, I was tested. I just have extremely bad migraines, insomnia, anxiety, etc. The list of disabilities is long but that's also 20 years of ground pounding in the Corps

• HadIt.com Elder

Roger that!