VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Financial Hardship - how long

Rate this question

Sknlson4032

Question

How long are veterans waiting if they ARE flagged for financial hardship by the BVA? The judge at My hearing said she was going to flag me for financial hardship. My BVA was granted on 18 Jun 19. On VA.gov it just says increase (I was 80 percent before BVA) and I'm on the verge of being homeless again w/my 2 year old daughter. I'm holding on but each second that passes I worry more that we won't have a place to live much longer. 

Time and again the VA has promised "homeless programs" to assist with or prevent stuff like this.  Let's see the progress VA has actually made.  

In 2004, (I had applied for benefits in 2002), I told my doctor that I was in danger of losing my home, because of little or no income for my family. 

2005 rolled around and my bank, correctly, did not beleive VA's "homeless programs" would be successful.  They offered me 500 dollars to move out if I agreed to an inspection to make sure I had not damaged the property.  I agreed and moved out.  

No thanks to VA, I managed to find low income apartments where my rent was 50 dollars a month, after burdening friends and family for a few months.  So, VA delays cost me my home and my family.  

Fast forward to 2019, after Shinseki and others promised to eliminate or reduce Veteran homelessness, and we are right back to 2002.   And the VA wonders why Vets dont beleive (the VA).  

Im doing great, now.  I have VA income, plus social security, and a new spouse, but Im determined to get back benefits back to 2002.  I didnt know about "pension" in 2002.  So, the VA construed that as meaning I didnt want pension, when I applied for compensation.  Naturally, the VA expected me to be an expert on VA benefits to apply..to understand the differences between "pension" and compensation as well as the differences to apply and eligibility differences.  

I didnt care whether they called it "pension", "compensation", or whatever, I just wanted help from VA, and they let me down.  My VSO says, "gee, I didnt know you wanted pension..why didnt you say so?"  

My doctor, in 2005, recommended I apply for pension.  He explained that its easier to get, and you can get enough money to live on (barely) of about 1000 per month.  I did as he suggested, and, did get pension.  

Why didnt my VSO recommed this?  I dont know.  He wasnt a bad guy, and I dont have ill feelings for him.  After all, he did what he was trained to do:  A Veteran comes in and applies for compensation, you apply for compensation.  He has to (know about) and ask for pension.  If I knew all about VA benefits, as well as eligibilities, then why would I need a VSO????  Its catch 22 and VA snares as many Vets as possible in this trap.  

After surviving, no, thriving,  this VA sponsored Veteran abuse,  I came back stronger, and now Im fighting VA for all my back benefits.  

You, too, can do the same.  I can tell you when you get your first retro check, the hard fought victory is sweet.  I have gotten 3 retro checks so far, and will likely get one or two more.  

I do not think that anyone can really say how long things take after you are flagged for financial hardship.  Was your BVA case returned with a remand or are you still waiting for it to come back from the BVA?  Depending on where it is you might be able to file a writ of mandamus. 

On 7/8/2019 at 5:46 AM, Sknlson4032 said:

I'm on the verge of being homeless again w/my 2 year old daughter

what state are you in? The reason I ask is each state has separate resources for homeless or near homeless veterans Shrek is right, the do move quicker when a child is involved.

Besides calling the White House and your Congress-people, contact your State Veterans Administration tell them you are on the verge of being homeless ASAP.

• HadIt.com Elder

Both Shrek and Geeky are hitting on what is all important. When you are talking about homelessness, and especially if there is a child involved, it gets their attention. In Ct., they tout that the State is "basically free of homeless vets" (which is b s, but that is a subject for another time). So if you call the state dept. of veterans affairs, they call any service organization they know to help cover the situation. If they can't get something, by night time they will put you in a motel. They don't want to loose their "new-found status."

Thanks, guys for responding. I had the worst weekend. I was arreasted for missing a court date for a seatbelt ticket and then I got an open container ticket I missed as well. Ive just had no money. I was a LT but i now wait tables for a living. Anyway, long horrible story short they arrested me while bringing my daughter to daycare at the Volunteers of America when I couldnt produce my ID at the gate (I forgot it and theyve never asked before...). I also had just gotten out of the VA ER having then look at a zot that seemingly got infected overnight. They arrested me under those conditions and then when I told them I did not believs in an institution whose roots are in returning runaway slaves pre-emancipation they then put me in holding with no medical care and no food for 14 hours. Most guards wouldnt answer (I just kept saying"excuse me sir or ma'am when they did theyre counting), but finally ja guard did answer and they said all it said on my paper was I failed the lobby twice. I dont know. Im so sick of talking about it, this experience I NEVER could imagine manifesting. Its so wrong how these people are and how they functions from this place where they dehumanize people and diminish their worth CONSTANTLY. Its a horrible situation. Anyway, cuz and dry I just want the VA to pay me as fast as possible. I have so much to do, so many people to help...maybe if I can get my back pay I can get some room to breathe financially and determine whats next. Regardless, the most important thing is the money at this point. My BVA posted on ebenfits as granted. No percentage but id be going from 80 to ??? I think 100 is my only option. Ive been waiting 3 weeks on the back pay. Oh and my daughters back at home with me safe and sound, didnt lose my job. Question is....how much longer can I or do I have to wait? We did not make rent this week...