VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Police

Berta

This news is very startling, and I hope it isn’t too prevalent.
https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article232443717.html In part:
“The Kansas City Police Department is investigating the death of a veteran who had a fatal brain hemorrhage after a confrontation with Veterans Affairs Police last year.
Department spokesman Jacob Becchina said the case of Dale Farhner has been assigned to Sgt. Richard Sharp, a longtime homicide detective.
“The results of our investigation will ultimately be compiled and forwarded on to the prosecutor’s office for their decision as to what if any applicable charges may apply,” Becchina said. “There is little info that can be released at this point, as it is now an open death investigation on our end.”
The VA has said the incident has already been investigated by federal law enforcement, and its officers have been cleared of wrongdoing.”

Read more here: https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article232443717.html#storylink=cpy                                                                                                                                       

And this is horrific as well:

In part:

"The Phoenix VA Medical Center settled an excessive force lawsuit with one veteran who was the victim of VA police brutality caught on video.

The veteran, Errick Hathaway, served multiple tours in Kosovo but received a bad conduct discharge in 2005. That discharge resulted in Hathaway being ineligible for mental health care he needed in 2015 when attacked by VA police at Phoenix VA Medical Center.

Just last year, lawmakers changed the preclusion allowing veterans like Hathaway to receive some mental health care. The US Armed Forces frequently discharged service-members suffering from PTSD without diagnosis using bad conduct discharges as a means to evade taxpayer accountability through disability benefits and health care, later."

https://www.disabledveterans.org/2019/07/10/excessive-force-victim-va-police-brutality-settlement/

A happy note to this.  In the VA San Diego a clerk asked me to sign a document saying that everything on the document was true under penalty of perjury.  I refused to sign the document because everything on the document was not true and asked her to retype the document.  She refused and pushed her call button.  A VA policeman came over and asked me what the problem was.  I explained it to him and he asked the clerk to retype the document.  Everything was handled in a professional matter by that VA policeman, of course this was 1986.

Update:

https://wgem.com/2019/07/10/homicide-detective-assigned-to-investigate-veterans-death/

This regards  Dale Farhner’s death as in the above link.

It reminds me of the cover up I dealt with, when the VA caused my husband's death.

The VA failed to succeed with that cover up-and it showed me how low they can go.

They are still trying to deprive me of properly  applying for accrued on the new 21P-601 form, with the Philadelphia RO- as the regular ROs do not seem to deal with accrued claims anymore.

I filed a White House complaint and an IG complaint on that.

I need to spend more time on my pending issues.

IG complaints request that you try to do all you can to rectify the situation. I did, with an email to the Dir. of my VARO and an IRIS question,that included the email.

I also mentioned in those complaints that this same issue could deprive any survivor of their proper accrued benefits or even deprive them of their legal DIC.

• 2 weeks later...

In the Excessive Force Hathaway case- the VA has settled with him for $25,000.

No news yet on the potential wrongful death case regarding excessive force .