VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Increase in VA Disablity without reexamination

Rate this question

Armyman 2069

Question

I just heard that someone just got an increase in VA disability rating and never got an appointment for an reexamination. Is this possible? I have never received an update or a letter for an reexamination and I have been retired since Dec 2012 at 90%.  

• Founder

They scheduled me for a re-exam once, but before the the day of the exam I received a letter stating they canceled the c and p after reviewing my records and continued my 100%. I then called and requested permanent status and a few weeks later they sent me a letter stating i was permanent and total. 

I believe this was the easiest thing I ever did with VA,, however your mileage may vary.

• HadIt.com Elder

Armyman-The VA does what the VA does, meaning it does what it wants. Makes its own rules, and sometimes breaks them. If it is to your benefit, you just go with the flow. Everyone is different, so it certainly can happen not to get an increase from the VA with out an additional C&P. What is your situation; what is your disability? You said you were last rated 7 years ago; that is not a long time to go without a new exam. Some veterans never receive another exam. How old are you? Has your condition changed; gotten better or gotten worse? If no change in your condition, you probably shouldn't be looking for a new exam, right. If it has gotten worse, that may be a different situation. Your personal situation and facts determine if you should take the next step.

Armyman, GBArmy is right about the VA doing what the VA does.  Has your disability gotten worse?  If yes, file for an increase and TDIU if you are not working.  Some VSO's will tell you not to rock the boat but sometimes we need to.

armyman 2069,  I had the rating from my eyes go from 60% to 80%.   I had no idea what happen, if they made a mistake, etc., until I got a BBE.  The VA CUE'D themselves, and increased my ratings.  This was done about 16 months after I got the 60% ratings.  They also gave me retro pay as well.  So maybe the made a mistake in you original rating, and caught it and corrected themselves.  

The VA has discretion over whether or not to order a C and P exam.  Mostly, its supposed to revolve around your records and the answer to this question:

Is the current (medical) evidence sufficient to make a decsion?  

In other words, if its already documented in the records, there is no need for a c and p exam.  

So, yes, you can get an increase without a c and p exam if your records document an increase in symptoms.  

Right now I am at 90% with and some of my medical issues have gotten worse. I go to the VA every 6 months; however, they don’t do anything. I get most of my treatment outside the VA. I think I should submit my outside records and see.