Announcements

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• Ads

• Our picks

• Wonderful news way to hang in. I hope this gives you some well deserved peace. 
    • If HadIt.com has helped you or you believe in it’s mission then please donate even $1 helps. I hope HadIt.com has provided $1’s worth of help to you. Imagine waking up and there is no HadIt.com it could happen and that is why I’m asking for your help now.

Our traffic is going up and so are our expenses, however revenues have gone down and so I am reaching out to you to see if you can help me keep Hadit.com up and running.
      • 4 replies
    • https://community.hadit.com/searching-for-va-claims-information-on-hadit.com/

Your question has probably been asked before so the fastest way to find the information you need is to search for it.
      • 3 replies
    • How to get your questions answered...

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

Tips on posting on the forums.

Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.

Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post clear questions and then give background info on them.

Examples:

A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?

I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?

I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.
      • 2 replies
    • Exams that were being sent strictly to contractors before, due to VAMCs not being open, are starting to be routed back to VAMCs. This is going forward from last Friday- not sure if prior scheduled exams will be re-created for VAMC vs vendor.
      • 7 replies
  • Advertisemnt

Sign in to follow this  
drewdabbs

TDIU as a second filing

Question

This may have been answered elsewhere but as a long time lurker I have not been able to find it. A brief background. I am at 80% SC (70% for a mental health disorder, 10% for a couple of physical disabilities). But nearly all of this has been awarded through BVA appeal process that has been on going since 2009. Part of the appeal has been TDIU. In short the RO did not automatically send the 21-8940 to start the process when I hit 70% RO and I didn't know I qualified. Once I did know I appealed and it became a part of the 2009 ongoing BVA appeal, but joined it in about 2014. A social/industrial survey was ordered (2015) but not completed as the social worker at the hospital completing it didn't know what it was (he thought it was a survey of current patients). So the BVA appeal has gone back to the common BVA Remand to RO SSoC to BVA Remand tennis game for a few years. A mess.

Here are my current questions: I have been awarded new service connections and ratings since the TDIU denial part joined the appeal. I have also moved, so the 2009 appeal is at the original RO where is any new claim would go to my, now, more local RO.

1). is there any way possible to file for TDIU now, through my local office since new service connected disabilities are present?

2). Just general opinion if you could, but I had been told that it is detrimental to an appeal to request that RO handling the case be changed or moved to the most recent or local RO. Does anyone have any insight if this is actually true? The old RO is a hassle, its keeps sending appointments and decisions to the old address no matter how many times and ways I update my address, for instance.

Thanks vets, any help I get I'll try and pay it forward.

9 hours ago, drewdabbs said:

he change over from the legacy to new system has been confusing me greatly, though so far I think the new system is long overdue.

you are not the only veteran with this issue. There is a new AMA forum on here to help tracking timing etc on the new processes.

Be aware that if you do file an increase claim that is supposed to be considered a claim for TDIU if appropriate. You should be proactive and supply the form and document to avoid delay.

Further be prepared funky status claims from the VA because you do have that Claim on file with the BVA. The new claim will not slow down the BVA case in anyway, but it COULD cause some rater to defer that part of your new claim. Those are two different scenarios you should know about but don't let that stop you from filing.

If the VA awards the TDIU with the new claims, then all the BVA decision would affect is evidence of an Earlier Effective Date. It might just cause the BVA to say the issue was moot because of the new decision. Then you might have to file for an EED after that BVA decision.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.

As for the Address issue, there are several different systems that affect where mailings go. Go to the Director of C&P's at your local VARO and get them to help you verify where all you mailings should go. Bring the misdirected mail and envelopes with you just to show them what is happening so they won't blow you off.

You can file for TDIu on line at ebenfits just like you do for any other claim....

Eventually, the va will update the address if you sent them the new address.. or you could go to the local va regional office in person and let them know there.....

Even if you have claims in appeals,  a new claim will not slow down any appeal.

1.  Yes.  File for TDIu if you think you are qualified, that is, if a doc says you are unable to maintain SGE due to SC conditions.  

2.  The "old" RO system has been changed.  Any claim now goes into a "NATIONAL" WORK QUE.   Your claim will be processed in order received on the national work que, regardless of where you live.    So, I dont suggest even trying to "change" your RO, it can be processed anywhere anyway.  

Your TDIU claim wont be processed seperately.  In fact, there is no such thing as a "stand alone" tdiu claim, they are all now part of a claim for increase.  source:

https://www.hillandponton.com/part5-total-disability-based-on-individual-unemployability/

Individual unemployability (IU) is a part of VA’s disability compensation program that allows VA to pay certain veterans compensation at the 100 percent rate, even though VA has not rated their service-connected disabilities at the total level. To be eligible, a veteran must be unable to maintain substantially gainful employment as a result of his/her service-connected disabilities. Additionally, a veteran must have one service-connected disability ratable at 60 percent or more, or two or more service-connected disabilities, at least one disability ratable at 40 percent or more with a combined rating of 70 percent or more.

Veterans who are in receipt of IU benefits may work as long as it is not considered substantially gainful employment. The employment must be considered marginal employment. Substantially gainful employment is defined as employment at which non-disabled individuals earn their livelihood with earnings comparable to the particular occupation in the community where the veteran resides. Marginal employment is generally deemed to exist when a veteran's earned income does not exceed the amount established by the U.S. Census Bureau as the poverty level for the veteran only.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Indy_CV62_OS
      Sorry for not being active.  There really wasn't anything going on with my Remand until June 29, 2020.  I have three issues on Remand; SC for Post Thoracotomy Syndrome including chest wall defect and damage to intercostal nerve, increase bronchial asthma higher than 10% with a EED prior to April 2017 and TDIU.
      I'd logged in to va.gov last Monday and saw that one of the issues; SC for the Collapsed Lungs was Granted.  The other two issues are still open.  So, I'm now reading all of the prior cases to try and determine what kind of Rating they are going to assign.  The increase for Asthma should be easy; their Ratings Chart calls for at least 30% if function is at a lower percentage or Veteran is using daily cortico steroid inhalers.  I have Spiriva and Symbicort every day.
      The IU is the tricky one.  As we all know, you must have at least one issue at 60% or a combination of issues that total at least 70% with one issue at least 40%.  Even if the Veteran meets these criteria, IU is still subjective and not a given.  I'm going to predict a Rating of 40% or 50% for the Post-thoracotomy plus an increase from 0% to 10% for the scars, 30% for Asthma EED Aug 2014 and TDIU.
      The VA being what it is, could just lowball me as well.  There's just no way to figure them out.  If anyone wants to see my Remand and/or the C&P Exam from Dec 2019, just let me know and I will post redacted copies.  For all of you who are Legacy, it seems as though 6 months is the average to get your Legacy Appeal Certified to the BVA and then 6 months on average for the VA to work on the Remand.  Good luck.
    • By ThomasGray
      First off, hello and thank you in advance for any help that can be provided. Also, I apologize if something is not clear, trying my best to keep things concise.
      On Friday, May 15, I received letter from the VA, dated May 11, proposing a rating reduction from 100% to 70% for PTSD. The only evidence for the change listed is Rating Decision - Narrative(17SEP18) and DBQ PSYCH PTSD Review(06MAY20), whereas on my initial decision letter there was an abundance of evidence used. The major takeaway appears that my medical records(both prior to and after the initial rating, also from VA facilities) were not considered in this proposal. Is this normal?  
      I have yet to obtain the most recent C&P as I just received the proposal letter, but intend to attempt on Monday, May 18. Looking at the proposal letter though it seems that examiner didn't check a few specific boxes that were checked on my previous C&P. Other than that the differences appear to be minor. The two lists are as follows: Original C&P Gross impairment in communication Suspiciousness Depressed mood Suicidal ideation Near-continuous depression affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately, and effectively Disturbances of motivation and mood Chronic sleep impairment Near-continuous panic affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately, and effectively Difficulty in understanding complex commands Total occupational and social impairment Panic attacks (weekly) Difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances Neglect of personal appearance and hygiene Difficulty in adapting to work Inability to establish and maintain effective relationships Flattened effect Panic attacks (less than weekly) Intermittent inability to perform maintenance of minimal personal hygiene Difficulty in adapting to a worklike setting Anxiety Difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships Intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living Gross impairment in thought processes New C&P Forgetting names Occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgement, thinking, and mood Depressed mood Suicidal Ideation Near-continuous depression affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately, and effectively Disturbances of motivation and mood Mild memory loss Forgetting recent events Chronic sleep impairment Near-continuous panic affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately, and effectively Difficulty in understanding complex commands Panic attacks more than once a week Difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances Neglect of personal appearance and hygiene Difficulty in adapting to work Inability to establish and maintain effective relationships Impairment of short- and long-term memory Flattened effect Difficulty in adapting to a worklike setting Anxiety Difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships Forgetting directions I bolded the important items not that were not checked on the new c&p which led to the reduction proposal. It seems strange to me that new symptoms were added, however the very specific ones that would've caused the rating to remain the same all disappeared in just 1.5 years even though there is no noted improvement in my actual medical records.  
      What exactly is my next step? I have written a few statements of disagreement contesting the proposed reduction and pulled my VA medical records and will be getting a copy of the new C&P shortly. I have no idea were send the items as it is unclear in the packet. It says I have 30 days for one option and 60 days for the other. I don't think I need a notice of disagreement or start the appeal process as the final decision hasn't been made(this is a poorly worded question)?  
      Can I also request that they consider TDIU if the rating reduction is finalized or will I have to start a new claim for that? Should i send TDIU forms with my statements of disagreement and records?  
      I have been avoiding poking the bear and not filing claims for other conditions, some of which are caused by the various medications they have me taking, should I start filing claims for those as well?  
      And finally, if I do have to file for TDIU separately, should I start the claim now so that the date is saved? Do I submit the claim before or after I receive the final decision on the proposal? Sorry for the long post. I'm lost as to what to do next. It took me over 5 years of being denied before they would actually service connect anything and now this. Thanks again for any help, it is appreciated.
    • By MarkInTexas
      Well folks, I finally crossed the goal line that I have been moving the ball toward since I started this adventure in 2010.  A few days ago, I saw all kinds of crazy activity on eBenefits and VA.gov as I went to check on my slow shuffle in the BVA line.  I had already had my hearing and had several claims granted, and was waiting for the VA to move forward on the granted conditions, or see if they were were going to handle the remaining two remanded conditions that didn't amount to much anyway.
      I was sitting back with something like 33,000 claims still ahead of me in the slow march, so I was surprised to see an attorney fee determination claim pop up out of nowhere.  I called my attorney and left a message with his office.  He called me back a couple of days later excited and says that it looks like I'm about to join the Chapter 35 Club and that they will be retro'ing my EED back to my original claim dates.  He said to watch for the mail, and as usual to never trust eBenefits, which I don't, but I still do go to, which I know I shouldn't, but I do.  Y'all know what I mean.
      Anyway, a couple of days later, I get a nice retro in my account, and see that eBenefits is showing 100%, and the letter generator shows the same with the famous language of permanent and total with no future exams scheduled included in the letter.
      I noticed all of the BVA granted conditions were showing as service connected, except for one, so I'm assuming they are still working on that little one.  Also the two remanded conditions have not been decided yet either.  One called for a records review in the BVA remand decision and the other for a C&P, so since we now live in a COVID-19 world, who knows how that will work out?
      So anyway, I'm sitting and waiting on the one granted remaining and two remanded, but everything online shows green lights.  I did notice that there is are now two "new" claims open in my eBenefits, one still for the attorney fee determination and one for a "STR-Medical", and when I go to it, it says the claim is a regulatory and procedural review.  I'm hoping that some of y'all know what that means.
      I know that nothing is super "official" until I get the big brown envelope, or white, or brown and white....whatever the VA has in stock at the time, but it is a relief to finally be near the end of the tunnel that started with a VONAPP submission to the VA.  Yeah, I said it...VONAPP......the claims are that old.
      I know I've said it before, but I will say it again.  I joined this site back in 2012, and it has provided a wealth of knowledge, counseling and peace of mind, and also served as a place to ventilate.  I couldn't have made it without the help of you folks.  I also have to say that Asknod's e-book on Amazon saved me tons of trouble in the beginning, and it as handy as a pocket on a shirt as you navigate through the process.
      Thanks to all of you, and I wish you peace, good health and happiness.  I'll be back and forth on here still to check in, and maybe give some advice or get some advice.  Thank you all for your service, both in the military and now.  God bless each and every one of you.
      Mark

• By Lemuel
      Are you having trouble with a TDIU claim, TBI claim or any old claim that was never developed or decided?
      I posted this earlier on Tbird's question, "Unemployability and Working in a Sheltered Environment...?"
      Just received an example of this in a decision by the Executive Director, Compensation Service which I will attach after redacting.  My part time employment from September 1987 to September of 1990 consisted of working for a CPA business manager of a now deceased movie star.  (Egg and I actor as a hint).  
      The job was a 20 hour per week job by the previous employee which I couldn't keep up putting in more than 40 hours a week.  I'll also attach a copy of my employer's May 7, 1990 statement.  The job paid more than poverty level.
      These documents should help clarify to any who have a question about this subject.  I'll also start my own question where I can answer questions about how I got to this point.  Now I'm just waiting for a $500,000 plus check.  A lot of years in abject poverty under the bridge but I'm now in a nice home which will be fully paid for and I'm having a Japanese spa bath put in in the basement.  Feels good but was a miserable live from 1974 to 2017. Hasn't been bad since I turned 76 in 2017.  Now, at 79, it is even better.
      Still the issue of temporal lobe epilepsy (TLE) to go but it is more an act of activism since additional compensation doesn't mean much to me.  I don't want those with similar organic brain syndromes to mine left behind on that paper trail. TLE is difficult to identify and identification is complicated by the victim being unconscious of the symptoms.  We are thought of as being "drifty", absent minded, procrastinators (from enervations), etc. and no one connects it to our TBI and advises us or gives us a consult to a neurologist for epilepsy evaluation. 
      Look up that $100 dollar word, "enervation".  If you've had a TBI, especially if caused by near by blast concussion or repetitive outgoing heavy artillery (not me, mine was focal left temporal lobe) or p. falciparum malaria, you need to ask your family and friends if you are a little drifty or inattentive at times.  If you've had Motor Vehicle accidents that you blamed on the other guy but it could have been your inattentiveness this is hard evidence.
      If you had malaria and have any of the symptoms I listed, contact me through this board.  Compensation for those victims is the last goal of my life.  At 79, I don't have too many more years to work on it.
      Also, if you have a TBI award post 2008 for a TBI years before contact me.  I filed a case in 1988 in district court as a next of friend making a claim for you that has never been developed.  Same case as my TDIU.  An award to me would be moot because my new TDIU award goes back to 1985.  But we may be able to get that Executive Director, Compensation services to take our TBI awards back at least as far as my claim but possibly all the way back to when the symptoms first interfered with our employability.
      I was finally treated for my TLE in August of 2015 and all symptoms are in remission.  I was confirmed to have TLE in September of 1990 but mistreated with Tegretol which should never have been used for the diagnosis of "atypical absence seizures" and because I had a recorded sensitivity to amitriptyline per the 1990 PDR and every PDR after that to date.  Subsequently, I was diagnosed as having "pseudo seizures" which too many read as being a malingerer.   At 79, I'm more employable now than I was at 35.  But I lost my most employable years to a 3.154 1151 treatment.  It is on my NOD of 01/08/2018 and the claim it is on.  I'll keep everyone posted on its development.
      3526-3527 19900507 Al Marsella Stmt_Redacted.pdf 20200408 - TDIU Review - Admin Opinion_Redacted.pdf
    • By Jamezam
      This post is about seeking the best advice for my next step(s). I'll try to be as succinct as possible, however, we are talking about the VA compensation process.  
      I received a BVA decision in December 2018, most appeals were denied, however, the important one’s, back increase (40%) and SC for migraine headaches, although zero percent, were granted and the BVA judge also stated:
      TDIU: VA treatment records have raised the issue of TDIU as part and parcel of the claims for increased rating; the Veteran has submitted several records indicating findings by VA that he is not employable at present due to his service-connected disabilities. This claim has not yet been adjudicated, and further, in light of grants of service connection and increased rating herein, required additional development.
      I currently have a total rating of 60% and the VARO TDIU decision states:
      Entitlement to individual unemployability is denied because you have not been found unable to secure or follow a substantially gainful occupation as a result of service-connected disabilities. This case has not been submitted for extra-schedular consideration because  the evidence fails to show you are unemployable due to service connected disabilities. (38 CFR 4.16).
      I received a fully favorable decision for SSDI by the Social Security Administration and VA Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Services States:
      After carefully reviewing the evidence, I have determined that it is not reasonable to expect you to be able to train for or get a suitable job at this time.
      I had a VA/social security attorney, whom I felt was not meeting my needs as there was very limited communication on their part, I’d filed a complaint with them letting them know, I didn’t need hand holding, however I do expect my representative to take action on the BVA decision, appeals, CUE, etc. It seemed like they weren’t interested in working on my behalf, and I kind of felt like they were just waiting for a positive VA decision so they could get paid. I am completely aware VA things take time, and I’ve been battling the VA for three decades now.
      Anyway, I decided to contact CC&K and they informed me they aren’t interested in taking my case. I’ve already filed a NOD and I have no idea what’s going on with the VARO remand response to the BVA.
      I’m almost sure, I can win an increase for my migraine headaches rating and entitlement to TDIU via pro se representation. However, I would love to have some assistance and not sure if I should keep contacting attorney’s, VSO, forum buddy, or go on my own. I’ve only had one attorney in all the years I’ve been pursuing my VA compensation rights, my previous VA claims were won on my own, and I’m almost positive both my SSDI and BVA claims were granted without any assistance from the attorney. They got their VA 20% and SSA $6,000, so I figure were good and it was time to terminate our agreement and move on.
      Thanks in advance…

• Ads

• Our picks

• Wonderful news way to hang in. I hope this gives you some well deserved peace. 
    • If HadIt.com has helped you or you believe in it’s mission then please donate even $1 helps. I hope HadIt.com has provided $1’s worth of help to you. Imagine waking up and there is no HadIt.com it could happen and that is why I’m asking for your help now.

Our traffic is going up and so are our expenses, however revenues have gone down and so I am reaching out to you to see if you can help me keep Hadit.com up and running.
      • 4 replies
    • https://community.hadit.com/searching-for-va-claims-information-on-hadit.com/

Your question has probably been asked before so the fastest way to find the information you need is to search for it.
      • 3 replies
    • How to get your questions answered...

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

Tips on posting on the forums.

Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.

Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post clear questions and then give background info on them.

Examples:

A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?

I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?

I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.
      • 2 replies
    • Exams that were being sent strictly to contractors before, due to VAMCs not being open, are starting to be routed back to VAMCs. This is going forward from last Friday- not sure if prior scheduled exams will be re-created for VAMC vs vendor.
      • 7 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines