VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Taking my adult son to rating exam?

Rate this question

FighterFlighter

Question

My claim for PTSD has been service connected. Now I will be attending an appointment on 7/23 with a PsychD to determine the rating (or she’ll send her report to the rater? I’m not sure how that works). I read somewhere that it can be helpful to the examiner if your spouse is present, but since I am unmarried I wondered if it would be helpful to bring my 18 yr old son (since other than me he’s the person most aware of my day-to-day life). I can tell the examiner my symptoms, but i think my son could have insight as well. Would that be beneficial? The symptoms I’m thinking of off-hand: not taking care of basic/daily hygiene sometimes-often for extended periods, exaggerated startle response, complete social isolation from everyone (other than him obviously since he lives with me), chronic sleep issues, leaving the house as little as possible (about 2-3 times/month), and things like that. I plan to shower before the appointment and wear clean clothes (not sure why I feel it’s important to state that, but there it is). Anybody have advice about this?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Its up to the examiner ?? , you can take your son and when you get there the examiner will come out and meet you  and usually introduce him/her self,   its then you need to ask the examiner if your son can come in with you. if your son knows about your behavior    I personally think its good he  go in with you. Just answer the examiner questions honestly.

After the exam the examiner will send his/her report to the VA- R.O. This is where they decide where your claim goes to be adjudicated.

is this C& P Exam at your VA? or is it contracted out by the VA?

8 Hours ago you posted this:

9 hours ago you posted this:

"My claim for PTSD has been service connected. Now I will be attending an appointment on 7/23 with a PsychD to determine the rating (or she’ll send her report to the rater?"

I am assuming the C & P examiner had your SMRs and they revealed the stressor.....?

2 hours ago, Buck52 said:

Its up to the examiner ?? , you can take your son and when you get there the examiner will come out and meet you  and usually introduce him/her self,   its then you need to ask the examiner if your son can come in with you. if your son knows about your behavior    I personally think its good he  go in with you. Just answer the examiner questions honestly.

After the exam the examiner will send his/her report to the VA- R.O. This is where they decide where your claim goes to be adjudicated.

is this C& P Exam at your VA? or is it contracted out by the VA?

Thanks again, Buck, for replying and your thoughts. This exam has been contracted out to VES, who made an appt with a local provider.

17 minutes ago, Berta said:

8 Hours ago you posted this:

9 hours ago you posted this:

"My claim for PTSD has been service connected. Now I will be attending an appointment on 7/23 with a PsychD to determine the rating (or she’ll send her report to the rater?"

I am assuming the C & P examiner had your SMRs and they revealed the stressor.....?

I’m not sure, but I know the board has said the stressor is supported by evidence of record. This is an exam to comply with remand instructions from the board after I appealed the denial. 

I apologize if I’m not being clear or explaining things well. These 2 posts are my first. I tried to keep them to the point and concise without including every detail I could think of-if I did that I thought it’d be way too long and nobody would read them. 

After re-reading what the board sent me last fall,  now I’m wondering if I was wrong about the PTSD being deemed service-connected. They said my stressor was corroborated by evidence of record and a remand was necessary to determine the etiology and nature of my psychiatric disorder. 

Thank you for clarifying this-

Do you mind giving us the Docket # of the Remand? BVA decisions are available on line, but in no way identify the claimant.

We are all pretty good about deciphering BVA lingo----which is different than the way the ROs talk in decisions.