VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% PTSD for self harm?

Rate this question

FighterFlighter

Question

I have a C&P exam coming up that I’m stressing over. I have a lengthy history of contemplating suicide, sometimes with a plan and sometimes just wishing I’d die, before calling the veteran’s crisis hotline or talking to my HUDVASH caseworker. Does it matter that I don’t have records of those crisis line calls and rarely reported them to my va mh provider? My provider is well aware I use the crisis line, but I don’t report each of those specific calls to her. Also, I scratch and pick at my skin to create scabs I can further pick at and cause pain (face, legs, and arms mainly) which has caused too many scars to count (ongoing issue, so have current lesions as well as old scars). Besides these, I pull out my hair (eyebrows, legs, and arms) for the same effect/result. Would these be examples of self harm in the 100% category? Since I always wear makeup, pants, and long sleeves to hide these issues, should I make sure to show the examiner or is that just unnecessary and disgusting and I should just tell her? 

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

You should have medical reports about all this in your files the C&P Examiner will not take our/your word for it,  so the evidence needs to be in front of him/her to read, you can tell the examiner that you never mention all the crisis hot line calls to your therapist or provider each time you called it so they all may not be documented  ect,,,ect,,,

you quoted '' Also, I scratch and pick at my skin to create scabs I can further pick at and cause pain (face, legs, and arms mainly) which has caused too many scars to count (ongoing issue, so have current lesions as well as old scars). Besides these, I pull out my hair (eyebrows, legs, and arms) for the same effect/result. Would these be examples of self harm'' ( yes)

you need a ptsd diagnose from the VA and all the medical evidence you can get   all your MH RECORDS THERAHPY SESSION notes , everything needs top be documented as proof of evidence.

as for as dressing up  just go to the C&P Exam like you would normally dress , if I had scars that was a result in my behavior self inflicted  I'd make sure the examiner sees this. 

just be honest and answer the examiners questions honestly and if you don't know the answer  just simply say you don't know

Remember favorable  medical records is crucial as evidence to win claims.

Note* PTSD is rated by the severity of your symptom's  and # of symptoms   =10% - 30%-50%- 70%-100%  Again depending on your symptoms

Make sure your stressor is provable.

A PTSD diagnosis, that might come from the C & P exam, means nothing, if you cannot prove what inservice event caused the PTSD.

1 hour ago, Buck52 said:

You should have medical reports about all this in your files the C&P Examiner will not take our/your word for it,  so the evidence needs to be in front of him/her to read, you can tell the examiner that you never mention all the crisis hot line calls to your therapist or provider each time you called it so they all may not be documented  ect,,,ect,,,

you quoted '' Also, I scratch and pick at my skin to create scabs I can further pick at and cause pain (face, legs, and arms mainly) which has caused too many scars to count (ongoing issue, so have current lesions as well as old scars). Besides these, I pull out my hair (eyebrows, legs, and arms) for the same effect/result. Would these be examples of self harm'' ( yes)

you need a ptsd diagnose from the VA and all the medical evidence you can get   all your MH RECORDS THERAHPY SESSION notes , everything needs top be documented as proof of evidence.

as for as dressing up  just go to the C&P Exam like you would normally dress , if I had scars that was a result in my behavior self inflicted  I'd make sure the examiner sees this. 

just be honest and answer the examiners questions honestly and if you don't know the answer  just simply say you don't know

Remember favorable  medical records is crucial as evidence to win claims.

Note* PTSD is rated by the severity of your symptom's  and # of symptoms   =10% - 30%-50%- 70%-100%  Again depending on your symptoms

Thank you for answering, I appreciate it! It’s all documented in my va mh notes, I just worry not enough to explain the severity. But if I lift a pant leg and point out my lack of eyebrows, it’ll show my symptoms more clearly than a mh note. Thanks again!

4 minutes ago, Berta said:

Make sure your stressor is provable.

A PTSD diagnosis, that might come from the C & P exam, means nothing, if you cannot prove what inservice event caused the PTSD.

This is a claim from early 2014, which they denied completely. I appealed later that year and finally in late 2018 the board came back and said the examination was inadequate and the board found my in-service stressor was supported by the evidence of record and was deemed corroborated. They remanded my claim to determine the nature and etiology of my psychiatric disorder in consideration of lay and medical evidence and the conceded in-service stressor. My medical records show my diagnosis of PTSD. Thanks for replying, I appreciate the comments and assistance!