VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Evidence needed to support Secondary Claim - Patellofemoral secondary to Pes Planus

Rate this question

Penguin

Question

Hi everyone,

I was recently diagnosed with patellofemoral pain syndrome in both of my knees and I strongly believe that it was caused by my bi-lateral pes planus, which is service connected. I have never filed a secondary claim before and hoping to get advice from those that have been successful with a secondary claim and see what pieces of evidence are recommended to have. Here is what I have so far:

• Current medical diagnosis - Bilateral Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome from private orthopedic doctor
  • Knee and Lower Leg disability DBQ completed by private orthopedic doctor
  • Currently service connected at 10% for bilateral pes planus (supplemental claim in progress for increase due to pronated gait and bunion)

I am assuming I will also need to get a medical opinion from my private doctor to link the patellofemoral pain syndrome to my pes planus? Or would the VA schedule a C&P to make that determination?

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Edited by Penguin

2 answers to this question

If you apply the VA will in most instances order a C&P to determine the disability and it's cause.  I would wait for the C&P to see if it is favorable before spending the monies for an IMO.  Your private doctor is probably not used to VA requirements and would usually leave something out.  You can have him do a DBQ for you though if he is willing, most private doctors shy away from VA paperwork.  If your private doctor is willing to write a letter or opinion that has impact he must say that he has read all of your records and that the issue is more than likely than not due to service or a service connected issue.  He has to write a basis for this opinion too.

In other words you need

1. Something already service connected to ask for secondary or a primary that has evidence in your service records that shows it was an in-service injury.

2. A current Chronic condition.

3. A nexus that shows your condition is as likely as not incurred in service.

I have filed and been awarded secondary conditions (knees and back secondary to my ankle caused by my gait). I did not have an IMO and did have an C&P Exam.

When I filed those claims, I did include all (VA and non-VA) my medical records that was related to that condition and the disability letter showing my rating on the primary condition. Then I wrote an Statement in Support of Claim that talked about how my conditions affected my daily life. Also, I included medical research documentation that showed how my gait affected my secondary conditions.

I do believe what helped me was that the VA had sent me to Physical Therapy and she had done / recorded a number of range of motion tests. When the C&P Examiner did the range of motion test, the results were inline with what the Physical Therapist had recorded.