VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

could some hadit experts look at the recent combined rating for PTSD and TBI. Do we need to get a second opinion

Rate this question

Vet Dog and wife

Question

could some hadit experts look at the recent combined rating for  PTSD and TBI. Do we need to get a second opinion could anyone give us a recommendation for an expert for getting TBI and PTSD separated

Thank you always for your help. this site is truly amazing

Edited by Vet Dog and wife

https://www.va.gov/oig/pubs/VAOIG-16-04558-249.pdf

That is the latest OIG release on what the TBI scandal involved.

I suggest you search here for a link I gave on Independent Medical examiners, listed by state and try any Neurologist and any psychologist in you state.

Actually the VA can do this- in this way-

I fought to get the PTSD Psychologist here in NY as my husband's psychologist was the employee shrink, who continued to see my husband after he left the VA as an employee. He did not document anything except dates of appintments as he did not trust the VA to get into employees files.

The PTSD shrink ( my husband was 30% PTSD then and had suffered from a major stroke)did 6 tests that took 2 days and a woman came in for the Neuro part of the tests to administer them.

The results separated a stroke ( a Traumatic brain 'injury' in many respects) from his PTSD.

To make a long story short- he was awarded (posthumously by then)  - 100% P & T for SC PTSD and 100% P & T for the 1151 stroke- by then I had proven the VA caused the stroke (1151 malpractice).

I will try to find the link - you will need a Neuro and a PTSD psychologist unless you can find one with expertise in both.

It was a battle to get my husband proper PTSD care. from VA.

He received in his lifetime 2 separate SSDI awards, one for the PTSD and then upon reconsideration, one for the stroke.

TBIs involve the same type of neurological testing ( probably even more advanced by now) as a TBI does.

Would his situation involve the Equitable Relief that many vets got, when their TBI exams were found to have been faulty in the past?   As explained within the OIG report. 

I still believe many veteran are unaware of how much rigamorale went on with VA due to these faulty TBI exams in the past.

This vet had the separate disabilites ( TBI and PTSD) done with a DBQ:

perhaps he has his email open or will return here.

Does you husband get SSDI and is it solely for either the TBI or the PTSD?

Remember:

You get paid for each symptom ONLY ONCE.  You wont be allowed to pyramid and be compensated for BOTH PTSD and TBI with the same symptoms.  

You will only be compensated to the extent that TBI's symptom XYZ were not noted in your PTSD symptoms.  

For example, if a doctor says PTSD causes you to have anger issues, you wont be compensated for "anger issues" also with TBI.  

It could take an IMO  or IME to "parse out" which symptoms are attributable to PTSD and which are attributable to TBI, for you to be compensated for both.  

As a further example, lets say you ARE 100 percent for TBI and 60 percent for PTSD.  This is possible, but only if you can parse out (sepearate) TBI symptoms and also PTSD symptoms   In this example you would be eligible for SMC (S) Statuatory.  (100 percent plus an additonal 60 percent seperate and distinct from each other).  

Edited by broncovet