• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sign in to follow this  
Kihr

How much does a VSO see?

Question

How much can they see, how much can they tell me?  I seem to get almost nothing but cryptic information from my VSO.  Are they restricted from telling information to me while the claim is not yet complete?  Or is it possible that she withholds the information having been burned by changes in the past?

If your VSO is an accredited VSO he can see the whole enchilada if he has access to VBMS.  That is a very important tool when selecting the services of an agent or VSO. Hint. Most Big Service Orgs have only a Few accredited VSO's.  It is always wise to ask this question when you talk to them. Ask do you have access to VBMS to look at my claim on line. If the answer is no, Ask them if one of their reps does have that acess. Most of the Certified Claims agents have access to VBMS. But Claims agents don't usually get on board until you have a decision. It does not have to be a denial. Just one you disagree with.

Basser

The VSO says they are a nationally accredited VSO per her profile, so if that is the case are they able to share all that is on the VBMS?  She really doesn't seem to give me any information one way or another.  I always feel like I am a hassle when I call (about once a month) and see if there is anything going on.  I may just not be asking the correct questions when I call.  

.Not all have access to VMBS. You have to apply for that. Ask if they have access.

2 minutes ago, jbasser said:

.Not all have access to VMBS. You have to apply for that. Ask if they have access.

I see, she mentions "checking my claim" so I guess I assumed she did.  I will ask her, any suggestions on what questions to ask?  I put my claim in 9/24.

I agree with JBasser.  Its rather a hassle to get access to VBMS so many VSO's or even attorney's dont do it.  

Alex has access to VBMS and he may chime in.  Its my opinion there are 3 main types of VSO's:

1.  Rookie VSO's.  These are ones who have been a VSO less than 2 years.  If "their office" allows them to see the VBMS, then they would not know what it means anyway.  

2.  Experienced, knowledgeable VSO's.  They have a following..they have probably won benefits for many Vets, and those VEts have friends and recommended him.  They are nearly always too busy to be available if you show up asking for a VSO, unless you are willing to get on their waiting list.  

3.  "Bad" VSO's on their way out.  This includes Lazy ones, or out an out criminals who managed to bluff their way into a job.  

When you get a VSO, you are highly likely to get number 1 or number 3.  The number 2's are so busy they dont have time for more clients.  

If you have had this VSO for a long time, you may have lucked out and got a number 1, who raised his skill level to number 2 through experience and studying.  

When you call once a month, they dont want to tell you there has been no change, that your claim is gathering dust.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Glenndawson100
      Hi there, Recently actually yesterday the 21st of February the VA gave me notice that my supplemental claim had been decided and that they had sent out the letter that morning as well (meaning the decision was actually made on the 20th). This of course prompted me to check Ebenefits, where I saw no change in my rating. I'm currently rated at 40% for other issues. And in the past Ebenefits updated almost instantly leading me to believe that this supplemental claim was denied. I originally submitted my Epilepsy claim back in august, it was denied about 4 months later due to conflicting phraseology given by one of my doctors (mind you i still have a diagnoses of Epilepsy with 15 witnessed Grand Mal seizures at this point). Once i got the original decision letter I contacted my County VSO's office and set up an appointment. After they reviewed everything they we surprised that my claim was denied as it has a clear nexus and on top of that falls under the conditions; that if they manifest within a year its considered service connected (I separated 02/01/2019, first seizure onset was 05/25/2019). They did review the 112 pages of evidence from my civilian doctors and did see the conflicting phraseology. They told me that if I could get my Neurologist to just confirm my diagnoses and say i was and have been under treatment since 05/25/2019 that we could submit a supplemental claim since that's the fastest route. So that's what we did. That brings us to now. Under the standards for Epilepsy I was looking at a single rating of anything between 80%-100%. An 80% from 40% would have resulted in something Close to 90%. While i'm holding out, since in either case the retro pay (if my claim was awarded) would be greater then 20K that the additional signatures required are slowing down Ebenefits from updating, but as in most cases if the letter has sent and Ebenfits doesn't updated, 90% of the time you Claim/Supplemental/Appeal is denied. ( I mean correct me if I'm wrong). Whats the moral of the story? No matter how much evidence you have to support you the VA will be the VA. I'm lucky that I'm rated for other conditions so that I can at least have the VA help me cut down on the costs of treatment for Epilepsy, but it would have been nice to have it service connected so that I wouldn't have to wait months on months for Neurology appointments since I don't have priority. If any one has any information for me that might help moving forward, I'm all ears as once my letter is received and upon reading of the denial ill be filling an appeal.
    • By Jash
      I’ve done the VA claim-bit on my own. I don’t  know if this is a mistake or not. 
      I went to a c&p exam recently. I left somewhat confused. I never had a doctor tell me directly that she was recommending an increase as well as IU. She said though it was ultimately up to the rater. I don’t have her report because 30 days has not passed. I was at 50% for ptsd and 10% hearing loss. During the appointment the c&p doctor quoted a couple other reports where VA doctors I’ve seen at various clinics said that I had “long term, chronic and severe...” (Don’t want to get into the what). I find myself now obsessing if: 
      1. The c&p dr was lying to about her recommendations; 
      2. The c&p dr was telling the truth about the recommendations;
      3. The rater will decrease my %
      4. The rater will increase my%
      Ultimately it boils down to: How much weight does the rater put into the C&P dr recommendations? Could I really get IU if that dr did actually recommend it? what are the chances?  The IU could help a lot, I’ve not been able to work much the past few years. 
    • By Anharris
      Hello,
      Quick background; I injured my back severely in Kuwait in 2013(I was 22) no proper medical exam or treatment at the peek of the injury just pumped full of pain meds. Once back in the states it still took months before Someone decided I actually needed an xray just to be told I was fine. There were times where I’d experience temporary paralysis below the waist, daily pain levels above 5, numbness, pinching and burning sensations in lower back and to be told nothing was wrong made me want to give up and suffer in silence because no1 seem to take me serious. However the pain was so intense I found myself in the ER sometimes twice a week with strange knots in my back that were shrugged off as muscle spasms and just given more pain meds. I was given a 10% rating after separating in 2014. I didn’t know what that meant or why. Almost 7yrs later the pain is worse back and forth with the VA with treatment that either aggravates or just doesn’t work and I recently discovered that I was diagnosed with sciatic nerve pain BUT it stated it didn’t come from work. I couldn’t believe it. I now live in MD near DC and although terribly discouraged feel I need to fight what seems to be a system that hasn’t cared for me properly since day 1 and appeal. The question is. IS IT WORTH IT? I paid out of pocket for X-rays and made some discoveries about my back that make much more since than what the VA tells me. Has anyone experienced anything similar?
    • By Mikeoif
      I filed for tdiu and ptsd claim in Oct of 18, I didn't have all my medical files lined up and was given service connection for unspecified anxiety at 30% in March 19, and denied tdiu for failed scheduled rating needed and they mentioned that I had work experince and helped for a year with my niece , weird mention in the paperwork for why tdiu was denied but whatever. So I filed supplemental claim in april and had a highly regarded univeristy brain department and psychiatrist department diagnosis me for ptsd as a referral from the VA. So boom got another c&p in June and was given 70 % rating for ptsd but didn't file anything for the tdiu, at this time hired a va lawyer before I got my 70% rating thinking id have to appeal if they denied my ptsd again but they didn't so then I kept the lawyers on as they looked at my files for more things to be done and then they had me file tdiu paper work again but then on OCT 31st they filed a higher level review for my TDIU decision going back to march when it was denied. My two questions are how does HLR handle tdiu claims and cause I was denied originally for it for lack of rating and lack of medical evidence does my new c&p in June and my medical diagnosis with recommendation that got me to 70% now, will that evidence be included in the review of the tdiu or is the Review just of the evidence that was available at the time of the original denial back in march? I've been out of work for over a year as well but haven't kept a job down for a decade though I've tried for sure. OIF 08-09 1-22 INF, 1 BCT, 4th I.D. Also do granted my tdiu effective date should be Oct 2018 right as my intent to file date? Thanks
    • By RBrogen
      Hello Everyone,
      I wanted to put a situation out to you all and get your feedback as it would relate to a potential presumption of soundess cue claim.
      Back story:  1983 - In high school I tried out for varsity football (note I am 5'5" and 135lbs at that time) so I could have some level of social life.  First day of practice a kid ran into my left side and hurt my knee.  I DID NOT seek medical attention, never went to the doctor and was fine the next day (though I did decide not to try out for football any longer).
      Fast Forward:  1985 - I joined the Army National Guard and NO MEDICAL ISSUES were noted on my entrance exam.  I transitioned from ARNG to RA in 1987 and did not have anything listed on the exam for that either.  I was Airborne and have STR entries for strained MCL, Achilles and Twisted knee.
           1991 - I got out of the service with a lumbosacral strain issue with 20% disability at that time.  
          1996 - I had meniscal surgery on left knee
          1997 - I had surgery on my right knee was going to physical therapy.  During the review the physical therapist did to get medical history they asked me about injury history and so I told them the only issue I ever had was the issue in high school which was really a non issue but I was being honest and the meniscus surgery the prior year.  They incorrectly annotated on my record that the high school knee injury was "torn meniscus" by combining my two statements into their notes to read high school knee injury (torn meniscus).
          1999 - I filed a claim for bilateral knee issues and was denied because the rater read that note and said that I had a pre-existing condition.  There is no medical evidence of my high school knee issue because I never went to the doctor and the next day it was fine.
      I was finally able to get a rater who service connected and rated for both knees and ankles and nexus was established for marching/jumping in service.  I didn't know exactly why I was originally denied but after getting my c-file I figured out that it was all because of a physical therapist not taking proper notes.
      My question is that I don't think they properly applied the presumption of soundness rule in my case because the rater had no direct medical evidence to prove that I had a pre-existing condition and the entrance exam(s) were negative for any medical conditions.  I'd like to get your thoughts.
  • Ads

• Our picks

• Enough has been said on this topic. This forum is not the proper forum for an attorney and former client to hash out their problems. Please take this offline
    • Peggy toll free 1000 last week, told me that, my claim or case BVA Granted is at the RO waiting on someone to sign off ,She said your in step 5 going into step 6 . That's good, right.?
      • 7 replies
    • I took a look at your documents and am trying to interpret what happened. A summary of what happened would have helped, but I hope I am interpreting your intentions correctly:

2003 asthma denied because they said you didn't have 'chronic' asthma diagnosis

2018 Asthma/COPD granted 30% effective Feb 2015 based on FEV-1 of 60% and inhalational anti-inflamatory medication.

"...granted SC for your asthma with COPD w/dypsnea because your STRs show you were diagnosed with asthma during your military service in 1995.

First, check the date of your 2018 award letter. If it is WITHIN one year, file a notice of disagreement about the effective date. 

If it is AFTER one year, that means your claim has became final. If you would like to try to get an earlier effective date, then CUE or new and material evidence are possible avenues. 

I assume your 2003 denial was due to not finding "chronic" or continued symptoms noted per 38 CFR 3.303(b). In 2013, the Federal Circuit court (Walker v. Shinseki) changed they way they use the term "chronic" and requires the VA to use 3.303(a) for anything not listed under 3.307 and 3.309. You probably had a nexus and benefit of the doubt on your side when you won SC.

It might be possible for you to CUE the effective date back to 2003 or earlier. You'll need to familiarize yourself with the restrictions of CUE. It has to be based on the evidence in the record and laws in effect at the time the decision was made. Avoid trying to argue on how they weighed a decision, but instead focus on the evidence/laws to prove they were not followed or the evidence was never considered. It's an uphill fight. I would start by recommending you look carefully at your service treatment records and locate every instance where you reported breathing issues, asthma diagnosis, or respiratory treatment (albuterol, steroids, etc...). CUE is not easy and it helps to do your homework before you file.

Another option would be to file for an increased rating, but to do that you would need to meet the criteria for 60%. If you don't meet criteria for a 60% rating, just ensure you still meet the criteria for 30% (using daily inhaled steroid inhalers is adequate) because they are likely to deny your request for increase. You could attempt to request an earlier effective date that way.

Does this help?
    • Thanks for that. So do you have a specific answer or experience with it bouncing between the two?
    • Tinnitus comes in two forms: subjective and objective. In subjective tinnitus, only the sufferer will hear the ringing in their own ears. In objective tinnitus, the sound can be heard by a doctor who is examining the ear canals. Objective tinnitus is extremely rare, while subjective tinnitus is by far the most common form of the disorder.

The sounds of tinnitus may vary with the person experiencing it. Some will hear a ringing, while others will hear a buzzing. At times people may hear a chirping or whistling sound. These sounds may be constant or intermittent. They may also vary in volume and are generally more obtrusive when the sufferer is in a quiet environment. Many tinnitus sufferers find their symptoms are at their worst when they’re trying to fall asleep.

...................Buck
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines