VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How much does a VSO see?

Rate this question

Kihr

Question

How much can they see, how much can they tell me?  I seem to get almost nothing but cryptic information from my VSO.  Are they restricted from telling information to me while the claim is not yet complete?  Or is it possible that she withholds the information having been burned by changes in the past?

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If your VSO is an accredited VSO he can see the whole enchilada if he has access to VBMS.  That is a very important tool when selecting the services of an agent or VSO. Hint. Most Big Service Orgs have only a Few accredited VSO's.  It is always wise to ask this question when you talk to them. Ask do you have access to VBMS to look at my claim on line. If the answer is no, Ask them if one of their reps does have that acess. Most of the Certified Claims agents have access to VBMS. But Claims agents don't usually get on board until you have a decision. It does not have to be a denial. Just one you disagree with.

Basser

The VSO says they are a nationally accredited VSO per her profile, so if that is the case are they able to share all that is on the VBMS?  She really doesn't seem to give me any information one way or another.  I always feel like I am a hassle when I call (about once a month) and see if there is anything going on.  I may just not be asking the correct questions when I call.  

2 minutes ago, jbasser said:

.Not all have access to VMBS. You have to apply for that. Ask if they have access.

I see, she mentions "checking my claim" so I guess I assumed she did.  I will ask her, any suggestions on what questions to ask?  I put my claim in 9/24.

I agree with JBasser.  Its rather a hassle to get access to VBMS so many VSO's or even attorney's dont do it.  

Alex has access to VBMS and he may chime in.  Its my opinion there are 3 main types of VSO's:

1.  Rookie VSO's.  These are ones who have been a VSO less than 2 years.  If "their office" allows them to see the VBMS, then they would not know what it means anyway.  

2.  Experienced, knowledgeable VSO's.  They have a following..they have probably won benefits for many Vets, and those VEts have friends and recommended him.  They are nearly always too busy to be available if you show up asking for a VSO, unless you are willing to get on their waiting list.  

3.  "Bad" VSO's on their way out.  This includes Lazy ones, or out an out criminals who managed to bluff their way into a job.  

When you get a VSO, you are highly likely to get number 1 or number 3.  The number 2's are so busy they dont have time for more clients.  

If you have had this VSO for a long time, you may have lucked out and got a number 1, who raised his skill level to number 2 through experience and studying.  

When you call once a month, they dont want to tell you there has been no change, that your claim is gathering dust.  

Her profile says she has been certified since 2005.  I did start my claim with #3, he literally did nothing.  Then lefr 4 months later for a VA job.  She is the director of the office and just picked mine up after he abruptly left.