VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How much does a VSO see?

Rate this question

Kihr

Question

How much can they see, how much can they tell me?  I seem to get almost nothing but cryptic information from my VSO.  Are they restricted from telling information to me while the claim is not yet complete?  Or is it possible that she withholds the information having been burned by changes in the past?

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Number 3's (Lazy, inept or corrupt VSO's) are the worst.  Berta files VAOIG complaints on them.  Good for her.  

At least number 1 (Rookie VSO's), may eventually learn what they are doing, even tho it may be "at your expense".  

Number 2's (Experienced, quality VSO's) are the best, but mostly those are unavailable to Veterans seeking new benefits or a change.  They are too busy.  

On "another board" one of the main posters there suggested we get a "good" VSO.  Great idea, but that is like suggesting that the main idea of golf is to hit the ball in the hole in the fewest number of strokes.  Getting a good VSO is a great idea, but its as rare or rarer than a "hole in 1" in all 18 holes of golf.   

A more realistic goal is to get a hard working rookie VSO and then train them.  With their access to VBMS and my 17 years of experience at VA claims, we should be able to whip this.  

Edited by broncovet

It has been my experience that most VSO's have no idea what they are doing.  I gave up on assistance from them  years ago...I do know that the DAV's ,  VSO's  go to DAV  training under the  VA vocational rehabilitation program and then take a paying job with the DAV.   I can't speak to the rest of them,  except to say that I don't trust them to do the job correctly.  The only person that really cares about your  claim is you.... that is why I tell veterans if they can , they should learn how the system works and take care of their  own claims ... and I understand not all veterans can understand the complex rules that the va has created.  By the way... if a VSO is working at a VA's  local regional office  its very likely they have access to anybody's records... 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
13 hours ago, jbasser said:

If your VSO is an accredited VSO he can see the whole enchilada if he has access to VBMS.  That is a very important tool when selecting the services of an agent or VSO. Hint. Most Big Service Orgs have only a Few accredited VSO's.  It is always wise to ask this question when you talk to them. Ask do you have access to VBMS to look at my claim on line. If the answer is no, Ask them if one of their reps does have that acess. Most of the Certified Claims agents have access to VBMS. But Claims agents don't usually get on board until you have a decision. It does not have to be a denial. Just one you disagree with.

Basser

I learned this years ago. The DAV VSO at my VAMC was accredited, but she retired. The replacement didn't have access, so I had to go through the DAV office at the VARO.