VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

MilConnect records for PTSD Stressor Verification

Rate this question

Usaf9498

Question

First off thank you for this site and any help I can get.

I was USAF and deployed to Saudi and was barracked at Khobar Towers when it was bombed in 96. For the last couple of years, I have started to show a lot of signs of PTSD. I recently went and talked to my Primary Care doc at the VA and she referred me to mental health. I sat and talked to a doctor for over an hour and a half and he diagnosed me with PTSD, depression and anxiety. I also have tinnitus and sleep apnea. I am going to go about starting a PTSD claim and filed my intent to file yesterday. I got on Milconnect and ordered my OMPF files. What I got back in a pdf is my seperation file, my DD214, my enlistment papers etc. No medical records and no copies of orders which I could then use to show I was there. I am sure it would be helpful to have those. What channels do I need to start looking into for my TDY orders? 

Thank you!

Edited by Usaf9498

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Good question, but you "may" not need TDY orders.  There are other ways to verify a stressor.  Even if you got your tdy orders, they wont necessarily show a "stressor".  

However, the VA relaxes the rules of a stressor for "in combat" Vets.  The reason is that, when troops go to war, and a medic patches up our injuries, he probably does not have the facilities to record that injury at least not right away while in combat.  So, it often gets forgotten about.  

My suggestion is not do the ITF, and instead "file" for benefits.  I think the ITF may have been eliminated or is being eliminated, so go ahead and file.  

More on ITF, here:

Your claim may go into a "black hole" as an ITF if ITF has been eliminated.  Dont take a chance, file for benefits not an ITF.  I never liked ITF anyway.  You have plenty of time to obtain records, normally, and Va will try to help you get them.  

The good news is that if your doc diagnosed you with PTSD, you are in good shape.  Now, you need to show the doc diagnosed PTSD had a stressor which originated in service, and not some sort of car wreck or something after service.  

Edited by broncovet

23 minutes ago, broncovet said:

Good question, but you "may" not need TDY orders.  There are other ways to verify a stressor.  Even if you got your tdy orders, they wont necessarily show a "stressor".  

However, the VA relaxes the rules of a stressor for "in combat" Vets.  The reason is that, when troops go to war, and a medic patches up our injuries, he probably does not have the facilities to record that injury at least not right away while in combat.  So, it often gets forgotten about.  

My suggestion is not do the ITF, and instead "file" for benefits.  I think the ITF may have been eliminated or is being eliminated, so go ahead and file.  

More on ITF, here:

Your claim may go into a "black hole" as an ITF if ITF has been eliminated.  Dont take a chance, file for benefits not an ITF.  I never liked ITF anyway.  You have plenty of time to obtain records, normally, and Va will try to help you get them.  

The good news is that if your doc diagnosed you with PTSD, you are in good shape.  Now, you need to show the doc diagnosed PTSD had a stressor which originated in service, and not some sort of car wreck or something after service.  

I was literally just diagnosed at the VA by the doctor Monday. I keep reading that you should wait for at least a month to 6  months to show that it is a continuous problem.  Is that not the case in your opinion? In my med files on myhealthevet, the doctor said I self reported the stressor as the bombing of Khobar Towers so the link is clear as far as being in the report that he filed. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Usaf9498

As for as I know  there's no limit when you can file any claim,  so if you been diagnose like yesterday and have the evidence your condition your claiming was caused by or related to your military service  including a secondary condition to an already s.c. condition   you can file a claim..

you need medical evidence  and in service records that the condition was military related and of course Dr's Opinion on the condition your claiming to be military related.

Also if your a combat veteran   you don't have to prove your stressor's  the VA lets that go  , you should have a CIB or any type medal/Ribbons related to combat duty  on your DD214 and  combat pay.

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

As for as PTSD in some Veterans it don't bother them until years later and some Veterans like me never wanted the diagnosis for PTSD (I REFUSED TO BE CRAZY)  so I hid mine until I had to get help   it was years later after Vietnam I went with out getting the help I needed and I put my family through a living night mare for years...(Which I am very sorry for)....it was my spouse and my VA PCP that had me go to the MH Clinic and they made the diagnose as chronic severe PTSD with Unspecific Anxiety disorders ,also I was dx with MDD as well....so it don't matter when you were diagnose for PTSD but it is a requirement to be diagnose with a Mental Disorder by the VA  like PTSD

I am glad I got the Help I so badly needed.  not so much for the compensation but to save my family & myself.

It was a 70% PTSD Rating  I had already been TDIU P&T for years   so this 70% PTSD Rating got me to the SMC's.

They rate PTSD on your symptoms and how severe they are....the bad hygiene is the only thing that I could see I never got the 100%   I cleaned up shaved and comb my hair before the exam..but thats ok I usually have good clean hygiene.

• HadIt.com Elder

your c&p exam was about the same way the examiner checked my c&p exam for PTSD  so you should get a 70% rating the symptoms that closely follow your symptoms  is what they will rate you , to get the 100% you need to be worse than a 70% criteria ...>  like bad HYGIENE AND BE DIRTY AND SMELLY AND WEAR DIRTY TORN CLOTHES  AND NOT CARE FOR YOUR WELL BEING.  but I warn you do not dress this way if its not you NORMALLY Dress.  the examiner will figure it out. and you could end up with 0%

• HadIt.com Elder