VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Childcare support help

Rate this question

jfrei

Question

So it’s the beginning of a new year new fear of going broke affording care for my children 5 and 2. But have been lucky to take the summer off from my regular treatment plan to focus on them. So I have been searching around and looking and now I can send both to one school in particular for 450 a month both of them part time so I am a Able to plan my treatment when they are in school begins in September. This is an incredible price for two kids last year I had to get grants to send just my daughter to a different school which was 1200 a month fulltime just for her. Sadly bad timing had I used it on this school I would be fine but I think they said I max out their grants after two years. I’m 100 % P and T for my Residuals of a tbi and was wondering if anyone on her knows of anyone or any program out to help with my situation to help afford their care? It’s tight tight tight right now but we have our roof and food and a car hopefully for awhile so I’m grateful for that... thank you in advance 

6 answers to this question

Jfrei, I can sympathize.  I have to pay child care costs for two grandchildren and it is about $2000 a month.  I am going broke taking care of my grandchildren who I have custody of and the VA will not let me add them as dependents unless I adopt them.  Wonderful, maybe the tax refund will make up for some of it.

• HadIt.com Elder

Jfrei, I think you have to expand your sources on where to look for assistance. Have you talked to Social Security on getting disability from them? It's a long process, over a year, but you have to start to finish. There are disability lawyers that can help with that process and they get a % of the awards. If you can apply, don't try by yourself; it will take you forever. Local clergy might have some options for you. I assume you have talked to your dept of social services; there weren't any opportunities to go after? You might need to revisit them if that is the case. American Legion, VFW etc. all have funds to help out veterans in different kinds of situations; try them all. You can call your local gov't rep and see if they have an resources you don't know of. Am I correct you are 100% for only 1 or 2 disabilities, or do have more? It might serve you well to apply for additional benefits on any disabilities you have or could potentially get, as these things usually get worse, not better. Hearing is a good example or getting worse, once you are S-C for it. If you are P&T, you don't have to fret about losing anything. SMC is not applicable in your situation? Trying for SSI is the first thing I would jump on to explore. I wish I had more definate suggestions for you, but some of these may not have been something you haven't explored yet. Good luck.

I thought you were receiving SSDI and SMCs as well as your wife working?  It seems like you should be able to cover the cost of part time daycare honestly with that level of income.  Maybe I am wrong and you don't receive those things, if not you should be applying for assistance with daycare. If you don't qualify for assistance for daycare at least you will qualify for a daycare credit when you file your taxes so it isn't all out the door really, you will get some of it back.  I hope that helps at least in the long run.  

• HadIt.com Elder

If your not working  why don't you stay home watch the kids, they should have a school bus for them to catch  drop off and pick up close to home...This Is  PROBLEM FOR A LOT OF THE YOUNGER VETERANS WITH TBI's and I can understand your problem...but if you can't afford day care or after school day care  you might think about taking care of your kids yourself  if your able?

Also, don't 5 year olds go to Kindergarten?  Which would leave you only needing part time care for one child?  I am very confused honestly and in most states they have head start programs, which your children would probably qualify for based on your situation.  You really need to look into that as well.  https://www.benefits.gov/benefit/1903

Sorry I didn’t list more info I’m 100 P and T SMC S and SSDI awarded in under a year. The Five year old has a late birthday she’s actually only four and won’t be five till late in the year. I’ve looked into the head start program but dragging two kids in Social Services was to much after the long wait times and the people in there are coughing everywhere my son got sick last year after i made the attempt. Also apparently in Delaware we didn’t qualify the woman listed all of my sources of income she took my SSA and VA disability along with my wife’s part time job. And even though I have them a medical letter from my doctor as a need based on that. I gave up trying but again my children were running amuck in the building and are better behaved not great as my son whose 2 is listened better then my 4 year old daughter lol... also I do stay home with the children but to begin next years treatment plan I would like to do it without children which is what I had to do the last two years and my treatment instead of progressing either stayed the same or regressed due to multiple bathroom breaks and feeding. My mortgage is not fun it’s now gone up to 2391 a month even with a property tax exemption in Delaware I fought for for all disabled veterans in New castle county and will finally go back down to something more sustainable until next year so four more months of this won’t break us but I won’t my daughter on the track she’s to smart for me lol she says daddy can I play with my tablet and watch the tv simultaneously. I laughed I said you got ten minutes for using the word and using it correctly what they taught her in pre-K was amazing,  I have reached out to PenFoundation who paid her first year of pre-K not knowing what the cut off date was for her, so she has  go another year of Pre-K out of pocket and with my son.