VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Submitting claim for secondaries while initial claim still open - effective date?

Rate this question

HONDOII

Question

So I have a partial decision from my initial claim already and would like to submit a claim for secondaries for some of the SC items I have been rated for.  I've heard the new claim will get folded into the still open pending claim but what happens with the effective date of the new secondaries claim? Since it's still within 1 year of my initial claim/ITF, will these new items be subject to the effective date of my initial claim or the date noted on my latest ITF that was automatically created on eBenefits when I decided to file for secondaries?

Edited by Mrpdbo

• HadIt.com Elder

You are talking about months here, right. Not years. Don't get all tangled up in your decision based on effective dates over a few months. More important to put your time and efforts in submitting a well documented and supported claim. You have a good IMO for each new claim you want to put in for? On a secondary, just because you have a great back up and it makes all the sense in the world, if you don't have a doc's opinion that the new disability "is at least as likely as not" that it was caused (secondary) to your already S-C condition, it just won't cut it. Yea, the VA usually does roll them together

3 hours ago, GBArmy said:

You are talking about months here, right. Not years. Don't get all tangled up in your decision based on effective dates over a few months. More important to put your time and efforts in submitting a well documented and supported claim. You have a good IMO for each new claim you want to put in for? On a secondary, just because you have a great back up and it makes all the sense in the world, if you don't have a doc's opinion that the new disability "is at least as likely as not" that it was caused (secondary) to your already S-C condition, it just won't cut it. Yea, the VA usually does roll them together

I appreciate the response. The reason I'm curious is because it's the difference between 90% and 100%, so the backpay is several thousand dollars if it's the original filing date, however I'll extrapolate from your post that it wouldn't be.  Other than that, my evidence is solid.

If it were my claim I would just put it in . Normally they will just add it to the claim already in progress... It could cost you a few months of waiting time, but in the end you just get a bigger retro pay. If you wait,  to put in the claim , and the claim is awarded you may lose compensation for those months you  waited. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Geeky, correct me if I'm wrong, but we can file a NOD for an EED on just about any decision and see what they say. Right? Or, are there some limiting situations?

3 hours ago, GeekySquid said:

At worst you would have to NOD for an EED so I would not wait...but that is me

So I guess I'm a little confused. Is the second claim supposed to be absorbed into the earlier initial claim to include the effective date if it's within the first year of the initial ITF?  I already have my second claim submitted.  Just wasn't sure if it would eventually get folded into the original claim and be subject to the EED.