VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Attorney represented Vets succeed 90 percent

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

Veteran's represented by an attorney succeed 90 percent of the time, according to both my analysis of the BVA chairmans reports, and this article: https://www.leadingresponse.com/attorneys-prevail-in-nearly-90-of-va-disability-appeals-cases/

There is no doubt in my mind that some attorney's do "better" than 90 percent, since this is an average of them all.   

If you represent yourself, the denial rate triples...from 10 percent with an attorney to 30.1 percent of pro se Vets.  

Im not suggesting its a bad idea to represent yourself.  Some hadit members have represented themselves and have a success rate closer to 100 percent.  

However, unless you posess the skills to represent yourself, I dont recommend it.  Here are the skills I predict you need to succeed representing yourself:

1.  Access to a computer with internet.  

2.  Computer skills..Do you know how to search CAVC cases?  BVA?  You can learn these, but not everyone will learn them.  

3.  Organization.  You need to keep copies of documents you send to VA, and know how to retrieve them.  (Either stored online or in the paper version).  

4.  Persistence.  Its gonna take a long time, and you cant give up. 

5.  Reasonably good health.  Even if you have all 4 of the skills above, if your health fails, your chances are poor.  

6.  Bonus:  If you have access to a Veterans benefit manual, your chances are increased.   If you are a hadit member, and ask questions, your success rate will also go up.   

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Bronc, great post. If Ms. Tbird had a "post of the week", this would be a winner!