VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Stressor verification

Rate this question

Phild523

Question

I was just wondering when stressors for ptsd are verified? I was told they were done before the cp exam and have also been told they are done after before it goes to the rater. Just was wondering and thought it would be useful information for persons new to the process. Thank you.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder

I am not sure, However they found my stressros before my C&P and my diagnose of PTSD, they need these before the C&P..So I would think you need this before your C&P although they have a duty to assist  but some times they don't look or find what they need  & THAT only to leads to a denial.

if your A COMBAT VET your CIB will be or should be on your DD 214 and your stressors is conceded by the VA .

before the C&P this all needs to be in the computer  as your evidence to your claim  the C&P Examiner reads off the computer the VA gives them  even if your examiner works for the VA.

Buck52 thank you for the clarification. I am not a combat vet and do not have a cib. I was in a terrible training accident that was well documented in smrs with hospital treatment records as well as treatment since it happened. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Thats ok if your not a combat vet, you have been traumatized and lead to your PTSD while in the military,

You will need these SMR's and hospital records & training records and dates locations of the event to verify your truma.

if you have theses records make copies and keep some for your self   do not give the original copy to the VA (send them copies)of what they ask for,  if they don't ask for them send them copies anyway....you should be good to go   , if you been diagnose for PTSD by the VA  that's about it   then they rate on the severity of your symptoms.

If you have all these records  that should do it.

1 hour ago, Phild523 said:

Just was wondering and thought it would be useful information for persons new to the process.

just curious how you think that timing really means anything to inform the veteran who is in the process of a claim?

When we put in a claim, there is a requirement we identify the  in-service situation that caused the harm, the stressor events. This has to be done with some level of specificity.

The VA automatically pulls various records from various sources. If your stressor is in your Military Files, it will show up when those records are transferred to VA's systems.

The VA also reaches out to many special resources for specific events, such as a vet saying they were in XXX place, at YYYY date, and LLLL happened. There is a whole complex department of the Puzzle Palace that records, documents and tracks military events.

Different locations can respond to records requests at various rates depending on workload and records sought.

The VA does not just wait until records are available. They will send a vet to exams and even C&P's before all records are in VA possession. The rater is supposed to balance that situation against what the C&P exam says and if need be send a vet for another or have that doctor redo the results if records arrive that conflict with what the Dr was able to review at the time of the C&P.

It certainly happens that records don't arrive by decision time adn that forces us to appeal and is one of the justifications for the New and Material (relevant) Standard for appealing a decision.