VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

chapter 35

Rate this question

Bcast8

Question

8 hours ago, Bcast8 said:

Va just sent a packet for chapter 35 benefits to my son

When you say "just sent"....define that in days and weeks.

@seminoles is mostly correct but the Education benefit letter can take more time than the Commissary Letter. The reason is that there is no Financial aspect to the Commissary Letter on the part of the VA, so authorization is quicker and the letter Generates Faster. Chap 35 auth has at least one more sign off. they don't deny it is just a paper shuffle but it can take time.

Do you have common name? could your son be getting a letter meant for the son of a different vet? That would not be unknown to have mixed up files.

13 hours ago, GeekySquid said:

When you say "just sent"....define that in days and weeks.

@seminoles is mostly correct but the Education benefit letter can take more time than the Commissary Letter. The reason is that there is no Financial aspect to the Commissary Letter on the part of the VA, so authorization is quicker and the letter Generates Faster. Chap 35 auth has at least one more sign off. they don't deny it is just a paper shuffle but it can take time.

Do you have common name? could your son be getting a letter meant for the son of a different vet? That would not be unknown to have mixed up files.

I am not talking about the commissary letter I am talking about when you go to generate letters on ebennies you will either have the ability to check the box that you are permanent and total or not........if you aren't  P and T that box won't be there to check when you are generating letters to print. 

2 minutes ago, GeekySquid said:

i get that, I took the OP to be trying to understand if he was p&T and took it from a different direction.

lots of folks don't know they can go into that section and see if permanent and total is an option to choose or even how to navigate through it 🙂 I understand where you are coming from too and the VA sends those pamphlets out by mistake often sadly.  Hopefully in this case it wasn't a mistake.