VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P exam and alcohol

Rate this question

Usaf9498

Question

I filed my claim for PTSD, and secondaries for PTSD Tinnitus, Hearing Loss, and Sleep Apnea. Thinking ahead to my C&P exam, I was thinking about alcohol usage. I am a beer drinker. I drink every day and I probably drink 10 beers on most days. I drink way too much and I know that. 

When the VA psych diagnosed me with PTSD before I filed a claim, he asked me about alcohol usage and I told him that I drank a couple of beers a day. I was not honest with him and if I am honest with myself, I am embarrassed about it. 

I am thinking it will come up again with the C&P exam. I read the what to expect document on this website and it says to tell the examiner that I am not there to talk about alcohol. 

Is this still the correct or best advice I can follow?  I spoke with a vet the other day and he is 100% disabled with ptsd, tinnitus etc. He said that at one time they lowered his rating because he told them he had gotten his drinking under control. 

I don't want to go in there lying, but, if it is better to not answer that to admit how much I drink......

Thank you for any insight. I did search here before I posted by the way, just didn't find exactly what I was looking for. 

Here is an  interesting link from a law firm.

https://www.hillandponton.com/disability-and-addictions-do-drugs-and-alcohol-matter/

I have always followed the old adage "keep your mouth shut."  That pertains to cops, neighbors, the wife and/or mistress, the boss, well, you get the picture.  Less (talk) is more at a C&P exam unless you are well versed.  Many vets shoot themselves in the foot by talking too much.

It has been my experience that the examiner is not your friend.  That my be harsh, but it has been my experience.  It has also been my experience for a doctor to encourage me to get out and live as much as possible despite my disabilities only to have that used against me at appeal.

Certainly, do not lie, but do not understate your symptoms.  And be careful volunteering any info.  If they don't ask, don't tell.

FWIW

• HadIt.com Elder

This is my opinion; I don't think there is only one answer, so this is mine. If the examiner does bring up alcohol consumption, come clean. Tell them 10 beers. I would be proactive and say that during a previous exam you were asked and tell them that you had cut back for a few days going into the exam but that didn't last long, and  now you are back to your old excesses. That way you would be trying to deflect the decision that you lied to them during exams. Look, you have a major problem with drinking. If you did get a reduction in your rating because you no longer drink, believe me, it would be a high price to pay but worth it. You are ruining your health because self medication is an easy way out. Many on here have been there, done that. Most of us will tell you it is not the answer and the sooner you get help with that, the better chance you will have with success with  your other therapy. 

IMHO you have a problem and it is time to come clean if asked again.  Alcohol abuse is a escape for PTSD.  I drank for years to survive and all I was doing was surviving.  I was a high functioning alcoholic, meaning during the day I was a respected professional, after six I was a drunk.  I was not really fooling my wife or doctor, I had a problem that needed to get taken care of.     

54 minutes ago, vetquest said:

IMHO you have a problem and it is time to come clean if asked again.  Alcohol abuse is a escape for PTSD.  I drank for years to survive and all I was doing was surviving.  I was a high functioning alcoholic, meaning during the day I was a respected professional, after six I was a drunk.  I was not really fooling my wife or doctor, I had a problem that needed to get taken care of.     

Alcohol consumption until memory blackout, and subsequent passing out, was the way I coped for many years.

Even today, I still want to escape by abusing alcohol  because of what I can't erase from my mind...even knowing it would only be a temporary escape.

If I didn't really love my wife...my train would definitely derail.

VA sucks.

• HadIt.com Elder

Usaf9498 OK brother. You came on here looking for some help. We are here for you; you can see that by the responses you have received. But if you expect a sugar coated response, it aint gonna happen here. Part of getting better is telling the therapists the whole truth. You have to face this head on. Admit your drinking  problem; it is part of getting well with the whole package. We encourage you to reach out to us as much as you need to, but get it done. "You don't lose until you quit trying."