VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va disability & C&P question regarding veteran with suicide risk

Rate this question

Lagin02

Question

So my husband is going though the VA disability process. He began treatment in April doing CPT which aggravated his symptoms immensely. In May, he was fired from the job he has held for 8 years. In June, he was put on disability leave from his National Guard unit after command became aware of his suicide risk and they have mandated that he continues the therapy which is only making the situation worse. He has been in for 15 years and most likely will be medically chaptered out which has worsened his depression significantly. Due to his suicidal thoughts I am trying to manage this financial crisis as best I can because I’m afraid he is being pushed over the edge. He just stares off into space and sits in our basement. I filed for VA disability at the beginning of June because prior to all this he was our only source of income. I left my job a couple months before he was fired because my income was not enough to cover daycare after our son was born. I can’t leave him alone with the kids in the state he is in right now. I payed off our bills for a couple months with our savings but we only have a month left before we will be homeless. I also expedited his claim due to financial hardship in June. His claim seems open and shut to me. He did is C&P exam in July 31st but the VA still haven’t received the report (it was a VA doctor that did it not a contractor).  I called on Thursday to ask where it is and was told “it’s not ready yet” by the office where it was conducted. 

My understanding is you must prove three things:

The stressor:

His stressor occurred in Iraq in 2007. There was a CID investigation due to the circumstances around the event and there are still people in his unit that were in Iraq with him and knew what happened. I don’t want to write details because it would defeat the purpose of confidentiality but there is no denying that it was extremely traumatic and involved death and serious injury of service members in a small convoy. I also have a memorandum signed by the commander sending my husband to the combat stress unit in Iraq after the incident when he became suicidal. In my mind there is no denying the stressor. 

A current diagnosis: 

He is currently under treatment for PTSD at the VA doing CPT and is on medication. His team wants him to do an in-patient program in Chicago but as it stands with our impending homelessness, it just isn’t an opinion right now. 

The Nexus: 

He marked off symptoms of ptsd on his demobilization paperwork and stated he encountered stressors. In his periodic health assessment 6-month and also 1 year follow-ups for his Iraq deployment it shows he endorsed every symptom of PTSD and one Depression question. He was supposed to be referred to mental health according to this form but for whatever reason it slipped through the cracks. His current treatment is focused on the events that occurred during his first deployment. 

I called the VA homeless assistance line and was told that they will place my husband in transitional housing but me and our children (6-month-old and 9-years-old) will need to “find somewhere else to go.” I called the White House VA line and was told “I am so sorry but I don’t know what else I can tell you to do” His ebenifits portal broke 6 weeks ago due to duplicate files and was supposed to be fixed 3 weeks ago but is still broken. I have called veteran resources but all in our area require we have a “resolution” if they assist which we don’t because I don’t know if or when he will start to improve. 

So if your still with me, I have a couple questions: 

How long does it take for the doctor to send a C&P exam? Is it normal that it wouldn’t be don’t weeks after the exam? 

What are the chances that this will be resolved before the end of September when we will be homeless? If we do become homeless how do we follow up with the case with no address? 

Will the transitional housing be able to make sure he doesn’t follow through with his suicidal thoughts? I’m afraid that separating our family and having to toss everything we have build over the last 10 years will push him over the edge and I won’t be there to make sure he is okay. 

Is there anything else I can or should be doing? 

Is there any chance he could get better soon? Like it gets really bad but than starts then better? He has a bachelor’s degree and if he stops staring off into space and having these episodes he could get a job paying good money or I can work and he can watch the kids. I can’t imagine throwing everything we own in a dumpster, having my family torn apart, and taking my kids to a homeless shelter. I don’t even know how to explain it to my 9-year-old. He always struggled but at least he was functioning by numbing everything and isolation prior to opening this can of worms. We were financially comfortable so I just don’t understand how things got so bad so fast.

I got great news today! We won!!!!! The senators office let me know that my husband has been awarded a 70% rating but something called IU has been deferred because they need a form filled out which she sent to me (email below). His backpay for his rating has already been authorized and will be deposited in the next 5 business days. I don’t even think I have fully processed it yet. 

I can’t even adequately put into words how thankful I am for everyone’s help! I really want to give a shout out to @GeekySquid @shrekthetank1 @vetquest @kanewnutYou are all so amazing! Thank you for helping me navigate this insane system. You all can’t  even know how much it means to me! Because you all took the time answer all my questions and guide me throughout this entire process, my husband can get the help he needs to get better and my babies will have a roof over their heads. I know you all took a lot of time out of your days to respond and give support. I have never experienced this much kindness in my entire life and I have never even met you guys. @GeekySquid I’m sorry to ruin your reputation of being “heartless”  but that is just so untrue! @Buck52 I really appreciate the time you spent writing me about treatment opinions and @Berta for sharing your story. Everyone who provided information, answered my questions, or just sent some words of encouragement, I appreciate you all too! Thank you just doesn't feel like it’s enough but thank you all from the bottom of my heart!!! 

556D609B-78B5-4DFF-86B9-099348E0CB54.jpeg

Edited by Lagin02
Forgot to thank someone

• HadIt.com Elder

That's wonderful news...you should will be seeing an increase when he gets the IU   that pays more than double from the 70%PTSD something like 31.000 month plus dependent pay for you and kiddos. 

I am Happy for you guys.

Now Relax!!!! both of you!!!

2 hours ago, Lagin02 said:

I got great news today! We won!!!!!

WOOHOOO!!! hugs and back slaps all around... I am so happy for you and your family. 🙂

The others here have said it well.

70% is your First step.

Fill out that form, and send back for TDIU. That gets you to 100% which baselines at 3100 a month, then add in dependents and possible other stuff and your monthly secure income is there.

Fill out that other form and get yourself and your dependents listed... you get paid more.

Take a breathe for 1 or 2 days... no more. you still have work to do.

He is IU. that means the VA will be monitoring his income until he bumps to schedular.

So far it does not look to be P&T, that is another goal.

Considering his disassociation episodes and your needing to work, or at least not be with him 24/7, applying for SMC for Aid and Attendance is a path for you to explore with his Psychiatrist. You will need the shrink and therapists to document the disassociation episodes. You need to keep a diary of events as much as possible. Including any outbursts. 

Yes it will be some work, but considering his condition you, and he, definitely need some assistance in taking care of him. Maybe not live in, but definitely a few hours every day.

And of course you need time to take care of you as I have been hectoring you about.. .how do you like that word? hectoring.... 🙂

I have not steered you wrong yet. Trust the cranky old squid.

Count the number of days it took you once you posted here and started paying attention to the cranky squids' tactics. This ain't no Jan 2020 win, this is a TODAY win!

Now to get off my own ego.

Everyone here supported you, looked for ways to help you. Each has offered up what they could, even a place to stay if you needed to get there. They offered up parts of their own stories to help you see you were not alone, not unique and had support of unnamed vets across the nation. From Upstate New York to Seattle, Texas, Virginia, Florida and more states in between them.

And remember to always keep that Senator in the Loop. Every paper you submit to the VA put a CC on it with the Senators name and address.

and then send it to the Senator.

I mean do this even when you go online and file a claim on Ebennies or VA.gov for A&A... put CC: Senator Whozits in your Statement of the Claim and every other piece of evidence you submit.

Whomever your Senator is, is running for re-election or so I would bet. He does not want bad vet-press and will likely use some part of your situation to run on. Let him. Tie his ass to you. Keep him working for YOU and I mean specifically YOU!!!

In my opinion, it should become a near automatic reaction anytime someone at the VA so much as takes a deep breathe, for you to say "Senator Whozits will appreciate it when I tell him you bent over backward for me and my husband, I am calling him tonight"

I promise you, you have your VAMC's undivided attention. USE IT! KEEP IT!

I will close this post very happy for you and your Win. You moved mountains. You poked a slothful giant and took his gold. You did the hard work and overcame aspects of your own existence that limited you before this event.

You have won. We expect you to take a few winners laps, take some breathes, then buckle down to the other work.

We hope you continue to come here and share your story with other Delta Whiskeys and Veterans about how you won. What you overcame, and how you are pushing forward each and every day.

Hugs

Cranky Grandpa Squid

1 hour ago, GeekySquid said:

Fill out that form, and send back for TDIU. That gets you to 100% which baselines at 3100 a month, then add in dependents and possible other stuff and your monthly secure income is there.

Fill out that other form and get yourself and your dependents listed... you get paid more. 

I already filled out submitted both forms. I included the disability counseling letter form his guard unit I posted a while back.  I also started the intake process with the  program in Chicago so he can get in ASAP. 

He is IU. that means the VA will be monitoring his income until he bumps to schedular.

So far it does not look to be P&T, that is another goal.

Considering his disassociation episodes and your needing to work, or at least not be with him 24/7, applying for SMC for Aid and Attendance is a path for you to explore with his Psychiatrist. You will need the shrink and therapists to document the disassociation episodes. You need to keep a diary of events as much as possible. Including any outbursts. 

Yes it will be some work, but considering his condition you, and he, definitely need some assistance in taking care of him. Maybe not live in, but definitely a few hours every day.

I am hoping he gets better with this program and it doesn’t come to that. What do you think the chances are that he will get better? The C&P examiner didn’t seem very optimistic. He said with therapy it is possible that he could get back 30-60% of his old self but it’s hard to say. 

how do you like that word? hectoring..

I don’t even know what it means 😂 but I assume encouraging me? Is this another southern word? 

Everyone here supported you, looked for ways to help you. Each has offered up what they could, even a place to stay if you needed to get there. They offered up parts of their own stories to help you see you were not alone, not unique and had support of unnamed vets across the nation. From Upstate New York to Seattle, Texas, Virginia, Florida and more states in between them.

I am so grateful for all the support I’ve gotten. I wish there were stronger words than thank you. I don’t know what I would have done if not for this forum and so many people who were willing to help. I truly value the time you spent responding and in your kind (not cranky)  grandfatherly way. 

And remember to always keep that Senator in the Loop. Every paper you submit to the VA put a CC on it with the Senators name and address.

I already wrote him an email thanking them for assisting us and attached a picture of the kids so he could see the children he kept from going on the street. Turns out he is a veteran himself. Perhaps that's why he worked so hard and quickly to resolve this. 

You have won. We expect you to take a few winners laps, take some breathes, then buckle down to the other work.

Consider me buckled! I won’t give inch! 

We hope you continue to come here and share your story with other Delta Whiskeys and Veterans about how you won. What you overcame, and how you are pushing forward each and every day.

I most definitely will! I wish I had this experience when I worked as a case manager in service member and veteran services. More needs to be done because there are too many holes in services and our veterans are falling through the cracks.  When I am able to return to that field, this terrible experience will make me a better advocate for them. 

Thank you KIND & wise grandpa squid